What arcade games would you play in a compo? Would you?

Given MAME and ROM availability, would you play in a compo? (ie: submit scores a few times over a fe

• Yes, awesome, like the good old days

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Yes. awesome, only if its a game or two I really like

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, don't care about measuring up against other people, or don't have time or whatever

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Outrun won't work in any MAME I have ever tried.  You need Cannonball for PND to make that one work.
You didn't try MAME4All? Outrun runs lovely and smoothly in that for me.

D.

Mentioned in the Compo4all thread but I'll drop it here too - all of the Vector games look perfect if you increase the Vector Intensity to the highest setting -

press space, then cycle up or down until you see the vector intensity settings, push it all the way to the right and hit space again to exit. Much better - they can look very weak on default setting!

Outrun works for me, needs a bit more cpu oomph than similarly aged games.

I would recommend we steer clear of those games like Tempest, Tron, Super Sprint, Centipede etc., that require special controllers to play as intended.(...) it would be more of a fight to play the game, than fighting fellow gamers.

Chris
Centipede and Millipede aren't too bad with Dpad, but it does slow Tempest right down and as the tracks get more twisty it can make Super sprint very difficult alright. As with Star Wars, many games which had custom analogue controllers really need a controller (a mouse in other words!) you can really move both sharply and in small increments to get the best from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Street Fighter 2 Rainbow would be funny, Maybe Final Fight or Double Dragon?

I ran through Final Fight last night as it goes, great choice

Rygar is good.

And Cannonball works at 800 Mhz for me.

I do not clock my ReBirth any higher.  so 950...maybe it works.  Not on my unit, because I won't clock my unit that high, I fear frying it.

Rygar is good.

And Cannonball works at 800 Mhz for me.

I do not clock my ReBirth any higher.  so 950...maybe it works.  Not on my unit, because I won't clock my unit that high, I fear frying it.
Just clocked down to 600MHz on my CC Pandora - outrun still runs at full speed.

D.

so 950...maybe it works.  Not on my unit, because I won't clock my unit that high, I fear frying it.
You have nothing to fear, this is not like overclocking a desktop x86 CPU. The worst that can happen is the unit locks up and then reboots at default clock speed (600Mhz?)

Well, I still fear it anyway.  Pandora's expensive.

Unless someone wants to set up an Escrow Fund to replace my Pandy if overclocking it that high breaks it...then I am not doing it.

800 is as much as I will do.

I don't think there's a way to break your Pandora by overclocking it, even if you pick a crazy combination like 1300MHz at OPP1 on a CC unit. It will just lock up and you'll have to reboot.

Back