What Are The Best Snes Rpgs?

Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu 3, as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind though, I only played a very small amount of FF4, 5, and 6. It took forever to level(which was mandatory in between each little section of the game. if you didn't do it, a boss would hand you your ass every time) in all 3 games, which I didn't like. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not for me. I prefer FF7 and FF9 over them.

You mean roundbased, not realtime?

So, Super Mario RPG, Lufia 1&2, Earthbound, Breath Of Fire 1&2, Magic Knights, Tales Of Phantasia (well its kind of a mixture between both rpg-genres).

These are all I can think of now.

-Terranigma (runs good)
-Chrono Trigger (partly unplayable due to transparency errors)*
-Star Ocean (doesn´t work due to RAM limitation)*
-Secret of Mana (runs OK)
-Seiken Densetsu 3 (runs OK)
-Final Fantasy 5 (runs good except for transparency issues)*
-Zelda: A link to the past (runs good)

That´s my personal Toplist.
"*" means that they run considerably better on Zodiac/LJZ.

It was never released in America or anywhere outside of Japan, so no... but someone did a translation patch, and you can find the translated rom. I believe Vimm's lair(www.vimm.net) has it. It's not really turn based, but it's not a regular action RPG either... not like Zelda at all. It's like... when you encounter enemies(who are already there, by the way, no random encounters, kind of like chrono trigger), you enter battle mode(it doesn't change screens or anything, your characters just draw their weapons and begin to fight. You get 3 characters, and there are a total of 3 different stories(6 kind of, but they're not totally different. then again, neither are the 3...), depending on who you pick as your first/main character. Each story is mostly the same, but there are certain events you can only witness if you pick 1 of the 2 characters to whom the events have significance. You hit A to attack, and after a few successful hits, a gauge will be filled. then you hit b, and do a "special" attack. if you've ever played Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore, it's almost exactly like those two, but slightly different... and I prefer the system used in Seiken Densetsu 3 over the other 2. It's a very good game. Most people say that its story isn't as good as Secret of Mana's, but I liked it just fine.

Eh?? chrono trigger partly unplayable because of transparency issues? You know you can turn off certain background layers with osnes9xgp, right? That eliminates the problem. You kind of have to keep switching the background layer on and off to talk to people in the areas with opaque backgrounds... but it's still playable, and a very good game... I highly reccomend it, as it's my favorite videogame of all time(I've played thru it at least 30 times, I love it so much).

Zelda (the best for me), Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Mana and the sequel (Seiken Densetsu 3, have a traslation in english), Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger.

Secret of Mana are good games

E.V.O. Search for Eden well it's got RPG elements still a fun game

and it work somewhat on the Gp32 just need to set one of the hack settings not sure which tho
and you don't need that many buttons either so thats a plus

Dragon Quest VI works ok, FF6 is a bit slow, but maybe stil playable on a higher frameskip if you want sound. Also Live-a-Live is one of the best running on GP32.

LOOM posted on May 17 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
...(no Zelda or something like that). ...

You guys don`t actually read the first post, right? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How comes no one mentioned Romancing Saga 3?

Oh well, Robotrek is good if you want something a bit cutesy and not too serious. So is Gunman's Proof.

I didn't mention it because I've never even heard of it. When I had my SNES, I played a lot more Genesis because nobody bought any SNES games. The SNES was bought by my parents, I was too young to have any kind of job(didn't really want one anyway), and got a laughably small allowance. My oldest brother stopped playing videogames by then, and the middle one had a paper route. he's he only one who ever bought games, and since the Sega Genesis was his, he bought games for that instead of the SNES. So there are A LOT of SNES games I've never heard of... I hadn't even heard of Final Fantasy until I saw a commercial for FF7 on TV. I never heard of Secret of Mana until about a year ago(same for Breath of Fire, Lufia, Earthbound, and StarOcean).

Hey, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone. Romancing Saga 3 is one of the better RPGs I've played, it has multiple main characters, with differing stories, various techniques, 2 types of battle, and different ways to fight those battles.

Considering all that, AND the fact that it was made by Square, AND has a complete translation (unofficial), I was just suprised that no one had mentioned it.

Anyway, go play :D

edit: typo

another edit: OMG, in my excitement over Romancing Saga 3, I completely forgot about Front Mission, it's an RPG with robots and strategy, very fun.

I second robotrek :) ...never survived, like, the third fight because itake notime to level :D
and live-a-live is good for short time intense playing...completed thecowboy scenario inless then an hour...the others are longer though...

mmhh.. for Romancing saga3, is there a way to make the text of the menu readable?
And with which settings and version of Osnes9xgp do you play Seiken densetsu3 ? cause it's buggy in version 0.2 (text in 8bpp) and very slow in 0.3... (yeah, I'm playing with sound...)

devlkore posted on May 18 2005 at 06:15 AM said:
Hey, I wasn't having a go at you or anyone. Romancing Saga 3 is one of the better RPGs I've played, it has multiple main characters, with differing stories, various techniques, 2 types of battle, and different ways to fight those battles.

Considering all that, AND the fact that it was made by Square, AND has a complete translation (unofficial), I was just suprised that no one had mentioned it.

Anyway, go play :D

edit: typo

another edit: OMG, in my excitement over Romancing Saga 3, I completely forgot about Front Mission, it's an RPG with robots and strategy, very fun.

Yeah, I know you weren't... I just felt compelled to explain myself more than was probably necessary. I tend to do that a lot... like I'm doing right now... so if you see me do this in the future, do not be alarmed, it is not a sign that I'm angry. :D

*EDIT*

To Nardich, I play it in the modified BLU+ version of OSNES9XGP. It's based off of version 0.3

Last edited by a moderator:
I beg you all to play Bahamut Lagoon, very good tactical rpg!!! (but I didn't tested it on gp32 yet... and I dunno why but I sthink it will not work properly :ph34r: )

To Magus 86, it is slow isn't it?

Yes, it is, but that's fine with me. I'm just happy I can play some great RPG's on my GP32. if there were a faster version of it, I'd get it... but I'm not gonna flip out because there isn't.

Back