What Are The First Few Things You're Gonna Do With/download On You

First thing I'll do is look at the beauty that is the Pandora :)

Next play MAME because I love it, cross fingers Mortal Kombat 2 will be full playable on the unit :)

I’d then switch to almost perfect Snes and PSX emulation finally on a damn handheld :) . If MK2 is not playable with MAME then SNES is my next best bet :)

Franxis one of the many emulation gods can make my dream come true here :D

Lastly just looking forward to the gaming controls, I thank DaveC this, the scene would not be the same without you :)

thejock said:
How sure are we that we'll get a working DC and PSX emulator on day 1 (or week 1 for that matter).
And at what speed? Speculation welcome..
We're not expecting DC soon, it could be months away. They might surprise us of course but we shouldn't expect it.

There's been no statement on PSX either. It looks more than ready for public beta going by the last video we saw, but at the time they were still working out a pretty major sound glitch. It'll be a matter of what state they want to release it in I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the initial charging/exploring/configuring I plan to use mine mainly as a portable media player to watch shows from my DVR (MythTV) while on the way to/from work (I'm really hoping it can play 720p xvids but if not I have plenty of low-def TV to get through). Secondly, I'll use it as a Linux PC (Web via cellphone, SSH, etc.), and third as a game machine on occasion.

1. Im Happy and go on my chamber
2. I open the Package
3. I got the Pandora carefully from the Package
4. I make a Photo from my Pandora,
5. I put the sdhc karts carefully from theyr packing
6. I put the other asseriors carefully from theyr packaging
7. I Seach my wrist wrapp and installed it on the Pandora
8. I turn the Pandora on, because the akku should be loadet
9. I play whit the os, i trie the desktop mode, and the minimal mode out
10. I charge the akku, and put the one sdhc karte in the pandora i have hear whit 8gb, than i put the new whit 16gig in it, and clon the roms from the 8 to 16gig, than i go to the internet, and load all down what i need
11. I tried some games out, and the emus whit some roms
12. I tried the musik player out
13. I m happy
14. I show the Pandora to my Dad
15. I play alot of games
16. Im very happy.. :rolleyes:

thejock said:
How sure are we that we'll get a working DC

-Mike

We're not sure at all. However if a beta DOES get released by the time I get my Pandora (which is pretty unlikely as I'm pretty early in the queue, unless the '-10 for an unfavourable comment' theory is true) then I'm sticking Daytona on it before doing anything else. The video I've seen of Daytona running on the 'cast isn't really at a playable speed, but it's definitely at a 'loook. Daytona! On a handheld!' speed :p

I will
01. Do an Unboxing video using my N95
02. Set up WiFi, SSH connection to desktop, tethering to N95, pairing to BT keyboard
while charging the battery​
03. Install software I want: hopefully Opera, code editor, emulators for SNES,
SMD, N64, and DC if available; Weep due nonexistent Saturn emu;
Go all out crazy playing Quake 1;​
04. Copy audio/video to SDs; Try out different media formats, streaming
05. Play around with the touchscreen in GIMP, Firefox/Opera and ScummVM
06. Maybe do an I'm-using-it-and-it's-oh-so-awesome video, if that's how I feel
07. Regret still not having ordered the TV-Out cable
08. Take it everywhere I go and spread the word to interested folks should 06. apply

whats with all the unboxing posts? i thought there wouldnt be a box for panda, other then some random shipping box?

First thing I'll do is fire it up, direct the browser right here & commence gloating ;]

after that, i dunno, the possibilities are literally endless.

IF mupen64plus is working decently I might fire that up & play some gauntlet, been hankering to play that for months now, can't be asked to buy the cart

DaMummy said:
whats with all the unboxing posts? i thought there wouldnt be a box for panda, other then some random shipping box?
Shipping box = box. Taking Pandora out of shipping box = unboxing.

SNES emulation first and foremost. Yoshis Island, SMW, Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger are definately in my 'to play' pile. Then make sure I get Puzzle Bobble up on Mame. Also might start FF6 on PSX, though I should finish FF4 on the DS before I start this.

I'm a 3d modeler so I'm pretty interested to find out if Blender would work on the Pandora so I will try that out. I don't really like Blender, I only use 3ds MAX but if Blender works for Pandora, then I'm definitely gonna learn to like Blender.

Despellanion said:
I'm a 3d modeler so I'm pretty interested to find out if Blender would work on the Pandora so I will try that out. I don't really like Blender, I only use 3ds MAX but if Blender works for Pandora, then I'm definitely gonna learn to like Blender.

I don't know how useful this link is, but it's for Blender on an ARM processor.

Though there seem other, more up to date ways to do that.

I'm probably going to put mine up on Ebay. It doesn't fulfill the need / value that it would have, two years ago when I first pre-ordered (replacing / upgrading my damaged C1000 then, of which fixed the PCB subsequently, and now never use).

I figure that if this ever does become a real product and I have it in my hands, I should be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it, minus the hits I took on exchange with the first pre-order / re-order fiasco.

I'd love to sell it on ebay for a HUGE profit then just buy a second batcher later on, but there's no way I'd be able to part with it!
First thing I'm doing is playing Threads of Fate on the PSX emu if I can, but if not I'll at least post in the massive "I'm Posting From My Pandora!" threads and brag to my brother about how the Pandora is real.

senatus said:
I'm probably going to put mine up on Ebay. It doesn't fulfill the need / value that it would have, two years ago when I first pre-ordered (replacing / upgrading my damaged C1000 then, of which fixed the PCB subsequently, and now never use).

I figure that if this ever does become a real product and I have it in my hands, I should be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it, minus the hits I took on exchange with the first pre-order / re-order fiasco.

wow, you must be first in queue then :rolleyes: troll harder.

Consequence9 said:
senatus said:

wow, you must be first in queue then :rolleyes: troll harder.

Huh? Pandora was announced in 2007, and originally was supposed to be released in Spring 2008. The first group of us who ordered (this was before the bank fiasco) did so late 2007, if I recall correctly.

Mea culpa edit: I see now my preorder was 04/10/2008. After calling the poster above a "kid", I can see my "old man" memory is going :rolleyes:

Anyways, I wanted the Pandora as a mini-handheld upgrade from the Zaurus clamshell, and Pandora's specs blew away the Nokia tablets available then, but life and technology have moved on. YMMV. For me personally, when the HTC Dream came out in Canada, I realized I now wanted a fully converged device (the OpenMoko looked pretty neat, but didn't even have EDGE) and so that's the route I took. Very different device, very different needs. Some others here want an open gaming platform upgrade from the GP2X, and I think the OpenPandora is still a reasonable investment there. I know there are a lot of people who missed even the last Google checkout round of pre-orders, so I am sure they'd be happy to buy one at "list" price as soon as it arrives. Geez, kid, don't get your knickers all knotted. I'm not raining on your choice, so do me the mature courtesy of not raining on mine.

senatus said:
I'm not raining on your choice, so do me the mature courtesy of not raining on mine.
Which begs the question, why are you here then? You've said you no longer have interest in the Pandora, your needs filled elsewhere, what is this apparent need to justify yourself in front of strangers that don't share your views?

WizardStan said:
senatus said:
I'm not raining on your choice, so do me the mature courtesy of not raining on mine.
Which begs the question, why are you here then? You've said you no longer have interest in the Pandora, your needs filled elsewhere, what is this apparent need to justify yourself in front of strangers that don't share your views?

oh, shut up...

aesir911 said:
WizardStan said:
senatus said:

oh, shut up...

Whoa, guys, take it easy - I wasn't trying to troll, but that seems to have been the consequence. Apologies for having pulled the thread in that direction, and please let's just close this tiny segment of the overall discussion.

I will answer Stan's question, though - financial investment aside, I found (and still find) the concept of a fan-made (no perjorative intent there) multipurpose handheld quite interesting to follow, from a development perspective. It's all cool, OK?

Back