What are you playing this weekend/these days?

Random short bursts of whatever on my Pandora, nothing on my consoles and computers (not really motivated to play them atm. :( ). I have been playing Magic the Gathering: Puzzle Quest and Fallen London for Android. I used to play the games those are based on. MtGPQ is getting a bit tedious since I have to devote a lot of time everyday to get in on the event so I can get new cards and such, and I don't get to play against real people. Fallen London doesn't seem to work perfectly with my devices, but that isn't much of a problem. I would have liked to pick a different avatar, though. Otherwise they are both fun sorta-card-games. At least I'm not spending money on Magic cards.

Since a new decent Metroid game still hasn't been announced maybe I should go back and play the older ones again. I am also considering the ones @kuru mentioned.

Since a new decent Metroid game still hasn't been announced maybe I should go back and play the older ones again. I am also considering the ones @kuru mentioned.

I have just purchased 'Bunny Must Die!' on steam... it's cheap and a small download. Appears to be a satisfying Metroidvania, based on this review:
The Year is 1999X. Thermomewclear power: a modern scientific marvel that allows free clean energy for all of bunnykind. This safe and renewable energy was the perfect solution, until the Thermomewclear Power Plant blew up and cursed poor Bunny with a pair cat ears. Still retaining her long lapine ears as well, she is vexed by the fact that no one can tell if she is a rabbit or a cat. She even went as far as to seek the aid of a wise old bunny, but unfortunately he was brutally murdered by a rampaging bull and has left Bunny stranded in the cave of the 7 devils. If you think sounds mightily effed up, you are probably right, but no matter. It is time for Bunny to set forth and kick some devilish ♥♥♥!

Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils is a classic example of the tried and true Metroidvania formula. It was created pretty much singlehandedly by Murasame of Platine Dispositif (aside from voicework), and like his other works the game can be punishingly hard at times. The original release was only in Japan, with 4:3 graphics and a midi-ish soundtrack. However this localization offers many enhancements over the original release, such as new widescreen graphics coded in by Murasame, a wild soundtrack arrangement by Woofle, and a fresh English translation.

When starting BMD the first thing you'll notice is the lush hand-drawn anime graphics. The next thing you'll notice is that you can't walk to the right. You must first walk to the left a few steps to collect "The Gears of The Past" to be able to turn around. This quirky bit of humor quite obviously pokes fun at the general mechanics of the Metroidvania genre, and trust me when I say that a whole lot more will be lampooned before you finish the game. The game even pokes fun at you (and then throws a viciously hard boss your way) for sequence breaking. Yes, the large-foreheaded first boss lady will fly off the handle if you skip her.

Now despite the amusing jokes and cliches blown out of proportion, the gameplay in Bunny Must Die is your standard Metroidvania exploration with plenty of Castlevania-style combat. You also gain the ability to bend time to your will, and that opens a whole new dimension in gameplay and puzzle solving. I should note though that no matter how good you are at this sort of game, you WILL die often. Just go into this adventure knowing that fact and you will have a good time. The way we learn is by making mistakes, right? And sometimes being repeatedly run over by a turret-tank while it fires laser beams up your ♥♥♥♥ is a learning experience too.

Rockin' Android has definitely gone all-out in the process of making Bunny Must Die a breakout title for the western world. They have go so far as to give the options to use the original graphical mode and soundtrack, despite the overhaul that is provided by default. This speaks volumes of their dedication to customer satisfaction, and to their preservation of the original product's values. Just as with the Gundemonium Collection, Rockin' Android has taken an already awesome property and further polished it to gleam like a diamond and stand out on it's own in the rough sea of indie games.

So to recap: Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils offers frenetic platforming, Metroidvania-inspired exploration, kickass brutal bosses, a rocking re-arranged soundtrack, a superbly localized and hilarious story, a cute as heck main character, a super secret hidden character with a second playthrough, and tight controls that ensure that if you screw up, it's your own damn fault. What the heck are you waiting for? Bust out your favorite gamepad, buy the game, and kick some demonic patootie! Bunny's fate depends on YOU!

Will report back here if I think it's good.

Currently replaying Mass Effect on my SP2, in preparation for the 2nd and 3rd instalments.

I'm still on Witcher 3... it seems endless... I'm on it for like 2 Months... but is incredibly not boring for a game so long, I'm still finding funny and interesting locations/situations, and it's unbelievable how much cinematic scenes were put together !!
It's a masterpiece, and maybe I could consider it the best game ever.

Obsessed with NEO Scavenger. It's a very nerdy monotonous experience, definitely not for everyone. It is very rewarding though. When after couple of days of walking you stumble upon a story or secret location you are always in for a treat. I gave up on the "no save policy" (no stats or items preserved when killed, saves autodeleted), because of the fact that my save got corrupted after a weeklong run. I copy my saves now. It's a shame developer commited to the hardcore harder than rogue like policy and didn't deliver on the technical side. Aside from that the game is very enjoyable to play and looks great. Music and sound design are awesome, graphics and visual design tasteful and polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250px-Neko_atsume_logo.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neko_Atsume

Bunny Must Die!
Is actually pretty good.

+ Feels like Metroid
+ Reminds me of those awesome arcade games of my youth
+ Good tunes
+ Not easy... Bunny will die! A lot!
+ This game is clearly tongue in cheek

- I can only play it windowed
- controls need a bit of getting use to
- Bunny's death sound is annoying as hell

Last edited:
I had fast internet access for a while on Friday, so finally could download stuff I bought a while ago. Yesterday I finished
Kathy Rain - decent, if a bit convoluted story-wise,
Dead Synchronicity - very good but with a terribly unsatisfying cliffhanger ending,
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux (great, but still found Grammar error and missing text in the German translation after all that time)
and am currently playing Limbo for the first time - what a powerhouse of mechanics!

Looking forward to playing Lego Star Wars and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime in co-op.

Also still doing battle with the Drawpile build. Something something giflib, meh

Finished Granstream Saga, it's clearly not as good as its predecessors. It doesn't really develop its themes. I appreciate that it's short (something I appreciate more and more with games) but it's too limited to convey any kind of message.

Playing Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong on the GPD Win. The writing is still top-notch and the conversations and combat are still interesting.

Can't get my hands off of Shovel Knight. After my last saves where gone with my first GPD Win, I played it through during my one day business trip to Paris. I am currently diing myself through the Plague of Shadows "DLC", I just do not get the hang of it, but I want to complete it anyway. I hope the new campaigns "Specter of Torment" and unnamed one with the King knight are more down my alley (playstyle wise) - and I also hope that some new levels are introduced, while its somewhat "fun(paini)" to play them with a completly different characters, and there are some fun twists, a little variety would be nice. But even if not, I won't complain, as all (yet to come) extensions will be free (inlcuding the two player mode > yay!!).
Long story short: Shovel Knight is as good as the games of that era never were.

Advance Wars (GBA), Wings (GBA) and on Pandora Skunks just now. Somehow got hot about playing GBA SP again allover the past week.

wasteland 2
5 min in the game i thought i hated it already. but it kept me busy for 3 hours, so it must do something right...

I thought I had fond memories of Wasteland 1, so I backed the kickstarter for Wasteland 2 without hesitation. Then, as part of the backer rewards, we got a copy of Wasteland 1. I have no idea where these fond memories came from because they didn't come from playing this game. It was enough souring of my childhood that I still haven't even tried to start Wasteland 2.

I've finished Jet Set Radio and Jazzpunk on the GPD Win this week-end.

Jet Set Radio has a nice concept and atmosphere, but it often got frustrating, I don't know if that's because I'm not very good with joypads or if that's because the controls themselves aren't very good.
Jazzpunk is the video game version of a Leslie Nielsen movie. It also reminds me of some comedic multimedia stuff that was popular when CD-Roms readers became the norm in PC and later in Newgrounds and similar platforms, where you'd have a screen full of clickable stuff that would do random stupid stuff when clicked on. Hopefully, it still has some gameplay (at least at the beginning) so that it still feels a bit like a game. It's quite short, but that's a good thing because for me it ended right before it would have started to feel like it's dragging the joke too long.

Back