What Concerts Are You Guys Going To See This Year

F

famendo

well i'm pretty much a rocker, ive already got my ticket to see metallica in dublin, im going to see trivium next week, dragonforce in three weeks.
i'll was thinking of heading to the download festival, and the oxegen festival (if you guys have even heard of half the things im talking about)

what about you guys what concert/festival are you looking to go to this year

been a reading going for the past three years, usually average about four to six big gigs a year and then whatever is going on locally.

this year i'll be heading to either a huge music festival in europe somewhere (i forget what it's called) or back to reading.

i'll also be heading to london over the summer whenever a band that takes my fancy appears

Biggest "gig" on my calender this year is Wacken Open Air, Germany (www.wacken.com if your interested). Other than that, I'll see what comes up. I missed Dragonforce in late Jan as they wern't playing close enough to me, but Saxon are playing pretty soonish in Wolverhampton, so I may be toddling along to go see Biff and the boys again.

So, unless a suprise Iron Maiden gig pops up, that will probably be my lot. Maybe Jim will fix it for me to have Pink Floyd play in my garden...

i was pretty annoyed missing maiden last year, but i was back to school the next day,

After seeing them at the Brixton Academy in '02, I don't know if I could bring myself to see them at a bigger venue. It would break my tiny metal heart to view them from afar, lego versions of them, dancing on a stage the size of a bird table. Oh how the tears flow to imagine such a fate. Mini-Maiden, we salute you...

can wait for dragonforce i would say it shall be a good one...

I've seen them twice so far, once at Wacken, and once on thier Meet The Firestorm Tour. Well worth going to see just for the strange expresions on Herman Li's face as he shreds his fretboard. Oh, and Vadims mid-gig Techno Solo. I tell you, it's a sight to see a couple of hundred Viking Helmet'ed Metal Fans throwing shapes, while miserible Goths sit in a corner and sulk for a bit. I just want to run over to them, and give them a big hug, tell them that thier parents do love them, and pinch thier pale little cheeks until a forgotten smile breaks thru thier morbid, clown like faces. Awwwww

well i've only recently got into them i bought there new album and the song through the fire and flames rocks, (if you watch herman's face in that video haha)
i did actually e-mail herman never replyed though bastard...
what do you think of metallica ( or is that a silly question )

Metallica? Metallica....Oh yes, the ones that used to be really, really good then shit on me from a great height with an album called St. Anger.

I remember, before iTunes and the like, I used the original Napster to download songs of bands I wanted to try, as Heavy Metal and it's ilk didn't get proper radio playtime. Someone suggested Metallica to me, and a few songs I might like. I downloaded three, and on the strength of those songs, I was going to go out and start buying some of thier albums. The very next day, the Metallica-Napster lawsuit was on the news, and very soon, I was one of the 300,000 people banned from using Napster. And so I did what any self respecting, red blooded Englishman would do. I downloaded thier entier back catalogue thru IRC.

Now, I liked thier music, especialy the early stuff. I felt after (and in some cases, including) the Metallica (Black) Album, songs got shorter and more "radio friendly". The albums wern't bad, they were very good; they just wern't good Metallica albums. When I first heard about St. Anger, I was excited about the reports that they were going back to thier old style, thier raw sound. The loss of Newstead was a blow (as the tragic loss of Cliff probably was to a generation of fans before me), but all was looking good. Fast-forward to the video release of the song St. Anger. Ok, it was simple, there was no solo, the vocals were a bit duff, and Lars really needed to invest in a new snare drum. But I held hope. This was going to be my first proper purchase of a new Metallica album. I went to the local record store, and waited outside for them to open, the arriving staff knowing exactly what I was waiting for. The shutters opened, I walked in, I scooped the album from the shelf and stepped triumphantly up to the till, payed, and left for work. 8 hours of graft were between me and Heavy Metal bliss. But it was not to be. My St. Anger was broken. The CD was intact, the tracks played as I suppose they should have, but everything was a wreck. The album version of St. Anger was totaly ruined, and nothing else on that rancid disc could save it, not even the "live" DVD bonus. Metallica owe me an album. I may just have to aquire thier next thru other means...

i agree with you along with many metallica fans the classic albums were the better ones, like
kill em' all - brilliant
master of puppets = the best
ride the light - very good
the black album - brilliant
garage inc - not bad
load & reload - didnt have that much to offer
s&m - brilliant
st. anger - the one song i liked on that was frantic
although the some kind of monster dvd was very good, and yea the loss of newsted was bad and the loss of cliff i say was worse ( r.i.p cliff ) but the bass guitarist rob treijo is not that bad to be honest.
they have a new album coming out this year so if it goes the same way as st.anger it will be a big disapointment

Your forgetting ...And Justice For All, the only album I saw fit to buy on LP (well, I am a bit of a vinyl collector), but I agree with you on S&M...I prefer a lot of the S&M versions to the originals (esp. Battery, Ecstacy Of Gold/Call Of Chutulu/Master of Puppets and Outlaw Torn).

I think Metallica had an awfull lot of negetive feedback from the last album (Lars drumkit came up an awfull lot in various posts and reports i saw, totally wasting Kirk's talent, stupid warbling vocals), but there were also a lot of fanboys saying it was thier best ever. Lets just hope they realise the problems before thier heads get too far up thier own arses.

yea my opinion is the same i loved the s&m album and some were better than the originals, oh yeah forgot about and justice for all that was a pretty good one as well, i was thinkin about collecting some vinyls my self

when i first heard the guitar solo on battery i loved but then when i heard it on s&m...

still cant wait to see them in july

famendo posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:40 PM said:
yea my opinion is the same i loved the s&m album and some were better than the originals, oh yeah forgot about and justice for all that was a pretty good one as well, i was thinkin about collecting some vinyls my self

when i first heard the guitar solo on battery i loved but then when i heard it on s&m...

still cant wait to see them in july
I just played that tab in your sig, I have no idea what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
it could be you just dont know the song, its metallica i wont say the rest though

Maiden are GODS man :)

I'm a huge Maiden fan...

Harris.jpg

Taken pre-beard days (quite a while back now!) :p Steve Harris is a really nice guy :)

For the first tiem in a few years, I'm currently Gigless for the coming months. Missed Maiden last year in Reading cos it was just after my Wedding, and I couldnt afford it :( Going to see the Mighty Boosh Live next month, but thats as close as I'll get. Last Gig was Alice Cooper in Cardiff - second time, and well worth a watch if he plays near you.

Should be at Reading this year though :) Will have to get a meet sorted at the festival - that would be a laff!

im seeing "thin lizzy" in march (well, a reformed version, hence the quotation marks). i'm also going to t in the park this year :D :D :D

fishybawb got it in one its master of puppets, wouldn't mind seeing thin lizzy not a huge fan though

Saw that reformed "Thin Lizzy" a few years ago...it only works because they have the name. I saw a fantastic tribute band not long who beat them in every respect. But I recomend Alice Cooper to anyone. Even thou I saw him at Monsters Of Rock at the NEC, and was quite far back, the stage show is amazing. I would definetly put it in one of the best gig I have been to (after Dio, Saxon, Dragonforce and Maiden)

Oh, and you lucky bastardo Axeman. I thought my cardboard guitar would definetly get me in with the Maiden posse, but it ended up getting destroyed in sweat, and accidently left on the merchandise counter. Such is life.

To put things in a little perspective on the site, to connect a GP2x to a battery operated USB HDD, and pop the whole Maiden collection onto it, along with some videos, and play a little Contra III to it; my drunken brain may not be able to cope with the pleasure, and I may have to shed little tears of semen. If such a thing were possible.

Back