What dit you use your Pandora/Pyra today/the last few days

Maybe a daemon that detects key presses to temporarily light the keyboard would be a nice feature.

With nice fade curves of course, fast in, slow out (after no key for 15 sec or so) :cool:

I should really dedicate time to learning how to script this kind of stuff... So much to do, see, learn... Can anyone point me in a direction? xD

Does the Pyra have inotifywait or entr ? (apt-get install inotify-tools entr)

This article:

Tells us that we can snoop inside /dev/input/event3 (or another number, depending on what we got assigned to the keyboard) and then wait until the file is updated.

you can also open for read this event file, and when something comes in, they keyboard was touched. (thus, can be tiny c program that emulates entr)

There's also more bloated solutions, like using python:

edit: it seems entr does not work, it needs a real file to work, so inotify or using a pipe should work, if we have stdbuf to disable the buffering (so it picks up when the first entries start coming in).

So the first step is to
Code:
cat /dev/input/event3
and see if you type in another terminal or application, that you get output from that. If that works, then there's a way.
note that the "3" is not always the correct number, we also need to write a detector to find out which one it should be (see first link)

Last edited:
The Plan is: just put it on bevor shutting down Pyra, so it’s dosnt matter much if I will use it the same day or tomorrow, and if I don’t need the Light, I can turn it of quite fast whit the 2 left shoulderbuttons and the Light Button ..

I know this way is not that cool and ditnt need Linux Hacking Skills, but it’s noob proof,
And I’m still a noob although I know how to use Pandora and Pyra ..

Reactions: rSl
It's an idea for a way to make you not need to put the keylight on before putting turning the Pyra off.
putting this link here that might help: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/124212/writing-a-systemd-service-to-be-executed-at-resume

Specifically the part where:

As an alternative to writing and enabling a unit file, you can also put a shell script (or a symlink to your script) into /lib/systemd/system-sleep/.

It will be called before sleep/hibernate, and at resume time. (and the script will get a parameter with which you should be able to infer if you are hibernating or resuming)

Edit: and if turning off, then maybe cron with the @reboot alias can be used (although cron needs to run on the Pyra, not sure). But to stay consistent, a service can be made that does it.

Last edited:
Good idea. I assume matzezu is calling poweroff though, but presumably it's possible to similarly create a task that happens just before doing that automatically. Indeed if I look under /lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown there's a file already in there for syncing RAID discs (which I don't have, but I assume it's just there in case I ever do)

I aprociate your atempt to help whe whit my problems (domo arigato mister roboto) , but i know the Pyra is on an Early stage so i dont want to experiment that much if i dont have to.. also i see a bit of an danger that i will shoot my system sometimes when such a Mod will find its way on the Official Update..

I wonder: Is there a better Software for Reading Epapers than the build in Document viewer?

That's weird, it runs pretty decent on a Pandora...

Also I didn't get moonlight to build myself, I had some errors I didn't know how to solve

That earlier Pandora version was running moonlight embedded, I couldn't get that to compile either.

Is that using HDMI out?! :eek: Or streaming like in @Eight Bit’s reply?
Streaming, I also tried Rainway using chromium, vivaldi, firefox but it had similar performance. Rainway needs a browser with WebRTC and hardware accelleration.

Just a guess, but perhaps it's trying to use Mesa for any acceleration?, have you tried using this with gl4es?

I have to include a bunch of folders from QTCreator so i put the gl4es path in the library path i'm using:

Bash:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gl4es/:/home/nick/build-moonlight-qt-Desktop-Release/app/../moonlight-common-c/:/home/nick/build-moonlight-qt-Desktop-Release/app/../qmdnsengine/:/home/nick/build-moonlight-qt-Desktop-Release/app/../h264bitstream/:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf

and running with ./moonlight

Moonlight opens, but when i connect and the stream opens i see these errors and the window goes empty/clear
LIBGL: ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_ALLOC
LIBGL: ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_SURFACE

Back