What Else Is In There?

anexanhume

Ok, so we all know that it has the OMAP3430 along with 128MB of RAM, but being that the OMAP is a SoC, what other circuitry is actually needed for the board? Obviously, you have your I/O interface circuity (input devices, video out, etc.), but what else does the board actually need? Is it possible we could get a shot of a board when/if it becomes available?

This are all assumptions by me, little proof to back it up.

Power (recharge circuitry): This would handle all voltage conversions and recharge ability from the USB. Handle the battery, dc plug. (just looked it up this will be a TWL5030)

Most of the major stuff is on the chip (soc), so there really shouldnt be anything exciting to add. Theres probally a lot of helpful example's from TI to add external circuitry to the soc.

MTI_MCCOY_Farm_style_kitchen_sink.jpg

I believe the TV-out chip is separate to the OMAP3430. The chip Ti recommend for this is listed in TI's public documentation, but I can't remember which it is.

There's also a separate WiFi controller, because the OMAP3430 doesn't include one. We know it's cutting edge, and uses next to no power when it's not actually receiving or transmitting (especially important for sleep mode), though we know nothing about it's power requirements, range, or similar when actually in use. Presumably such info is currently under significant NDA.

Well, this is odd because I guess I never really realized it before; the omap3430 basically is all of what the pandora is. I find it odd because any other similarly equipped device (dependent on functionality) could be configured to play games at the same strength if hacked. It also strikes me as odd because TI has created an extremely powerful chip, that frankly, I don't see any company thinking they have the need for that much power.

Are there any other companies using any of the modern high power omap chips?

liquidphantom said:
Shame there is no video in for recording off TV or even one of those lill cams
Over USB?

anexanhume said:
It also strikes me as odd because TI has created an extremely powerful chip, that frankly, I don't see any company thinking they have the need for that much power.

Are there any other companies using any of the modern high power omap chips?
Well, Nokia's N8xx series are using the OMAP24xx series, iirc. But I don't think there are any other OMAP3 devices out yet.

However, I disagree on the front of no-one finding a use for the power. The chip's main target is probably going to be next-gen mobile phones. Specifically:
- Phones that want to have flashy games on them (RAZR and other Motorola machines. Backed up by an article here: http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_8800456820_1...NT_f472f1ae.HTM implying they will be using the OMAP3 series at some stage)
- Phones with HD photographic capabilities - the OMAP3430 datasheet makes a lot of mention of its ability to handle 12 Megapixel images. Once you hit that kind of megapixellage, optical zoom become less essential (which is ideal for phones), and even now, it's megapixels that sell cameras, and even more, cameraphones, rather than more interesting features like, e.g. manual exposure control.
- Phones aiming to get in on the mobile internet and video-buying from the phone, which I hear is getting gradually more popular. The OMAP3430's power basically means you could get full HD content on the device and play it back in full resolution later through TV-out capabilities.
- Phones aiming to do what they always did but with a longer lifespan - Cortex is more efficient than previous generations, and the OMAP3430 is on a 65nm process, further adding to efficiency. Add to that that it consumes very very little when it's not doing stuff, and you have a chip that may run for significantly longer than a previous gen chip, even if it's doing the same stuff.

A lof of the above applies to PDAs too, and, presumably, to some digital cameras, although I'm less certain of the appeal of the chip to them. Certainly there's a market out there for the chip though - it just hasn't quite taken off yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have to ask how much the omaps follow a plug'n'play mentality because, of course, whispers of omap 4xxx
with cortex A9 on a 45nm process are already out there. That would make internals updating a lot easier. I'm not so convinced of the need for portable HD, but then again it's letters and numbers that sell crap, as you pointed out.

anexanhume said:
I also have to ask how much the omaps follow a plug'n'play mentality because, of course, whispers of omap 4xxx
with cortex A9 on a 45nm process are already out there.

I am not sure anyone outside of TI could reliably answer your questions at this time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think it's no secret that OMAP3 is BGA, so good luck trying to get it off the board and fitting a different one, even if the 4xxx does decide to be backwards compatible.

I very much doubt anyone will be able to purchase an OMAP 4xxx before the pandora is released.

Back