What Game Is This In The "fluffy16" Render?

maroc said:
Looks like it may be a playstation game.
I Heretic II is PC only. Very awesome game, though it's just used for an example screenshot there. We're not likely to actually see it on the pandora. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run heretic II on Linux using only X11 (no opengl) . The game is rather dated but loki software had a boxed version you could buy at gamestop (that's where I found mine). Anyway, if the engine is open source then there's a possibility that it could run on the Pandora. Granted you would still need the data files to play the actual game but that should go without saying.

This game is based on the Quake 2 engine. Maybe with some modifications it could work?

I didn't know there is a dedicated Linuxport.

My dad bought the game for himself around 4 years ago, thinking he could play it (the linux version, he used xp at the time). So I popped in a copy of ubuntu, just so he could play the game, and yep, for kernel 2.4 only. So, Is this even compatible with Pandora (assuming 2.6 is used)

Zarneth said:
maroc said:
Looks like it may be a playstation game.
I Heretic II is PC only. Very awesome game, though it's just used for an example screenshot there. We're not likely to actually see it on the pandora. :(
I knew it was a render but hoped it might be of a game that could be played on the pandora :( . The pandora should make a great platform for RPGs, I just hope there are some good ones that can be run on it.

mcobit said:
This game is based on the Quake 2 engine. Maybe with some modifications it could work?
Only if you could sweet-talk Raven out of the rights to their engine mods for it to be applied to the Quake2 engine sources.

I didn't know there is a dedicated Linuxport.

Yeah, I was one of Loki's ISV testers (I was one of the developers working on and maintaining the Utah-GLX source base in their heyday...). I beat the hell out of that port and caught something that nobody else had that was lurking in the original game that was a then lurker for the Windows version that nobody tripped across to that point.

maroc said:
I knew it was a render but hoped it might be of a game that could be played on the pandora :( .
It's theoretically possible; if Loki was true to their word when they imploded, they handed the codebases for the Linux versions they did to the respective studios with the rights reverting back to them. If that's the case and Raven kept track of it, all one would have to do is dust off the code and clean it up a bit for ES support if they're amenable to allowing access or GPLing that game...

The pandora should make a great platform for RPGs, I just hope there are some good ones that can be run on it.

Heh... It might have some shortly; just can't assure anyone of that at release.

Back