What Games Have You Finished on the Pandora ?

you mention the music being a drain on CPU, why is that? In what format is the music and what kind of library is used to play it back ?
The music is played using a sound chip emulation. That part probably can be severly optimized, but that way over my head, the engine itself is rather well optimized (and dont go tell the nxengine her engine isnt fast enough. Someone tring to port it for experiaplay tried... :D )

The best I could do to help with the performance problem is to use the gpu to scale as both launcher (normal and ehenced) use cpu scalers. that would give a little boost. but I doubt it would be very noticable as the music processing cost over 60% cpu here
Are the sources of the Pandora-port in anyway different from the original ones? (if so, is there a repo for these patches available?)

If there are any obvious bottlenecks that are as easy to fix as the one in the Godot 3d-Physics, I might be able to do something about that ...

On Topic: I tried to complete Cave Story as well ... but some of the bosses were way too hard in this version (only played through Cave Story+ on PC before ... on easy ... but I love that game)

Does the ginge version of cave story run better? I think thats the one I played.

Are the sources of the Pandora-port in anyway different from the original ones? (if so, is there a repo for these patches available?)

If there are any obvious bottlenecks that are as easy to fix as the one in the Godot 3d-Physics, I might be able to do something about that ...
when I broke the GPL, I do it the hard way, else the source are on my website : http://sebt3.openpandora.org/src/?f=nx-src-pandora-20130210.tar.gz :)

then I'll start profiling

(SMS)   Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap

(SMS)   Sonic the Hedgehog 2

(SMS)   Bubble Bobble

(GBA)   Pokemon Fire Red

(GBC)   The legend of Zelda Link's Awakening (Twice)

(GBC)   The Legend of Zelda The Oracle of Ages

(NDS)    Lost in Blue

(SNES)  Killer Instinct (God knows how many times)

(PSX)    Road Rash

(GB)      Wario Blast

i didnt keep track of the time, but i think it was over a year.

1 is ok for the time. One interesting game aspect was HP goes up the longer you stay in a dungeon. So you work it up so you can go deeper.

2 is bad, plays like 1 but the quest and areas are horribly designed. Pretty much used a walk though on this to get through.

3 I liked this one, added a playable group and plays like a standard rpg of the time.

4 this one is also good, and of course added new gameplay for the time. Where you perform tasks to become the avatar in all of the virtues.

i think i like 5 the best, i like the turn based battles over the real time that would start to come with 6. Also mixes the 3d dungeons with 2d rooms.

6 pretty good, but i think the battles are weaker then the previous. Graphically nice, although i wish the view would have been larger.

7 graphically gorgeous, real time battles

Serpent Isle, ive actually been a little bored with it. Ive made it through the second town recently. Might get back into it.

8 messed around a little. My plan was once i was done with SI to setup Pentagram for the pandora.

9 ill have to play on my PC

If anyone didnt know all of these are on gog.com. There is also an excellent patch system that can bring the older titles to much nicer conditions (i.e VGA) without effecting original gameplay.

Another interesting fact is that i didnt have to map any of the dungeons on paper. I was either able to memorize the little i needed or i could use a map spell to see a map in game to get where i needed to go. Also there are spells to up/down. So really if i knew level 1 then i could get out.

Thanks to gog im also now working through M&M and Wizardy :) Those i have to map, which a bought a nice app that comes on android. So i play on the pandora and map on the tablet. I bought the famicom versions of the wizardy 1-3 and im playing my rom dumps in nes.emu. Finished 1 so far. Interesting fact of these games is that they actually come with switches for languages (japanese or english). I went with the nes versions since the dos versions sound dreadfully difficult (perma death), with save states I can bend this rule :)

Nostalgia aside, the first three are mostly uninteresting. You spend very long fighting random monsters to get enough xp, and combat isn't very interesting. 

It starts getting interesting with the fourth, thanks to the virtues. But it's only conceptually interesting. The idea is that instead of winning the game by killing people, you win the game by being virtuous. The concept is interesting, especially for the time the game came out. The problem is in the execution: you need to raise your "virtues level" by doing things like giving money or... killing monsters. So instead of grinding to raise xp you grind to raise "valor" with combats that are only marginally more interesting than those in the first games.

The fifth is the first to really have a plot that requires you to travel and talk to people to piece everything together and find the solution. But the interface still makes it a bit complicated.

Ultima 6 has a much more modern and clearer interface, and is a much deeper game. Ultima 7 continues on that trend for a game that's really amazing. 

Ultima 8 is hated for not continuing in that direction. Instead, it's a far less complex and far more linear action RPG. But it's still a good one (once you have the latest patch). Ultima 9 was hated for doing the same thing, while also being riddled with bugs when it came out and doing some retconning (ignoring the fact that the Ultima series was never very consistent to begin with). Fully patched, it's also a very nice action RPG with features that were very impressive when it came out (a nearly seamless world that keeps the location of every single object you moved or dropped).

I forgot to mention X-COM: UFO and X:COM: Terror From The Deep. Both completed on the Pandora. I'd forgotten how tough TFTD was!

Finished on OpenPandora?

I like proper saving functions of emulators, therefor I prefer them over the original system (if fluid and not crashing) anyway.

NES:

Kirby's Adventure

MegaMan 3

MegaMan 4

MegaMan 5

MegaMan 6

SNES:

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario Kart

MegaMan X2

MegaMan X3

PSX:

Grandia

MegaMan 8

MegaManX 4

MegaManX 5

Chocobo Racing

Bomberman World

I never have beaten the last boss in R-Type Delta. :/

GBA:

Sword of Mana

GB:

Gargoyle's Crest

Tiny Toon Adventures

Penguin Wars / King of the Zoo

GBC:

Zelda - Oracle of Ages

Zelda - Oracle of Seasons

Homebrew:

PewPew2 (Easy and Medium)

One of those visual novels

Still not finished with Microbes.

I may have forgotten some and played a lot of the homebrew games quite far though and since Frogatto doesn't seem to crash anymore, I may give this a go again too sometime.

I'm more into reading (Kindle) atm though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished:

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (which was pretty amazing since my desktop PC 5 or so years back struggled emulating this)
In progress:

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (I'm stubbornly farming every single item from each monster type. There's a lot of awesome weapons I missed out on my first playthrough in original PSX, not this time ^_^ ).
  • Metal Gear Solid PSX (on CD2, need to get back to it)
  • Fury of the Furries (on pyramid levels, stuck on a level with a huge acid pool that's impossible to jump over, and there's no green furry :( )
  • Zeliard (played this game back in DOS era in 386 PC, IIRC. Back then I got stuck on the fire cavern, which now I just got past a few days ago)

Legacy of Kain : Blood Omen (PS1)
Pretty much the only Game I did finish on Pandora.

I did start a lot (especially PSX) but never finished them.

Final fantasy 7 is the second one I do remember (and was a big disappointment).

Heart of The Alien - the only one of my ports I finished on Pandora

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (ScummVM) - the boxing parts were difficult without keypad

Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (ScummVM) - all three "modes"

The Secret of Monkey Island 1, 2 (ScummVM)

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure - bought on the repo and finished on Pandora - all three episodes, and I have the C4A score to prove it :)

Gianas Return

• Fury of the Furries (on pyramid levels, stuck on a level with a huge acid pool that's impossible to jump over, and there's no green furry :( )
I think you are supposed to run straight over the acid pool without jumping and wind carries you over.

FANMADE:

- Streets of Rage Remake (a LOT of times, unlocked everything except the Rudra ending)

- Dino Defense

- Aqua Venture

- Cave Story (actually I can't beat the last boss... I tried too many times and I consider it finished until I'll find again the will to try again to beat it...)

- Digital: A Love Story

- don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story (just one Ending)

- Gianas Return

DOS (Dosbox or fanmade/enhanced engines):

- Dune

- Dune 2

- Day of the Tentacle

GameGear:

- GG Shinobi

- GG Shinobi 2

- The Lucky Dine Caper starring Donald Duck

- Mickey Mouse - Castle of Illusion

- Psychic World

- Dragon Crystal

Master System:

- Psychic World

- Mickey Mouse - Castle of Illusion

- Alex Kidd in Miracle World

MegaDrive:

- Outrun

- Altered Beasts

- Streets of Rage

- Streets of Rage 2

- Streets of Rage 3

SNES:

- Super Metroid

- Chrono Trigger (Perfect Ending)

- X-Men

PSX:

- Chrono Cross (Perfect Ending)

- Valkyrie Profile (Ending B )

Nintendo DS:

- Giana Sisters DS

- Plants VS Zombies

- Time Hollow

Arcade:

- Aliens

- Battle Circuit

- Captain Commando

- Dungeon & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

- Dungeon & Dragons: Tower of Doom

- Metamorphic Force

- Undercover Cops

Anyway I have MANY games already started and waiting to be finished... with time...

I think you are supposed to run straight over the acid pool without jumping and wind carries you over.
I see, I tried crossing many times but I guess I didn't try that. Didn't notice any hints which suggested that either.

Driver

Rick dangerous

Rick dangerous 2

Some spectrum game

Edit: I edited my post and it deleted what was in here to start with :(

I only show off what games I could play if I wasn't so busy all the time.

Back