What Linux Distributions Is The Pandora

There is no such distro because one hasn't been made specifically for a Pandora.

The best bet would be a Mobile distro of Linux.

I always use debian. I made it work nicely on 486dx 75MHz 16MB RAM laptop. And it was juast as fast as my desktop (3.2 GHz) with X and pwm window manager. You just need to carefully uninstall everything that you don't need. And pick very light window manager, and only most necessary and most light apps.

If debian can work on such laptop - it will fly fast on Pandora.

*checks out PWM*

By the way, noticed the new blog post - by the looks of it, Ubuntu does run...
Debian should work quite easily.
Gentoo seems to run on ARM too, might be a nice idea. I'll try it out on my laptop first though.

OpenEmbedded might be a nice way to get something suited to all your needs and yet small enough to fit into ROM. Still trying to get it to build, though.

thebrainwasher said:
let's say the gp2x menu style that will be on pandora.. isn't what i would like on my pandora
Care to define why?
thebrainwasher said:
what linux distribution is pandora capable of running very good....
one that is useful
It will run most of them well, if they are optimised for the Pandora. It will run none on them without modification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
thebrainwasher said:
let's say the gp2x menu style that will be on pandora.. isn't what i would like on my pandora
Care to define why?
thebrainwasher said:
what linux distribution is pandora capable of running very good....
one that is useful
It will run most of them well, if they are optimised for the Pandora. It will run none on them without modification.

personal thing.. i don't like the psp menu either.
in my opinion... linux running on pandora transforms pandora :)
much more for my taste

Well, the most optimized would be Gentoo, you'd install stage3, the only install stage for arm I think, then as things are updated you would compile them with the chips you're using. With good use flags I don't see how any distro could be faster. Then there is the problem of hours of compiling when something does need updated.

Gentoo was the fastest distro I've used, not because it cut corners on gui's, but because everything on that computer was compiled for that computer.

second exodous said:
Well, the most optimized would be Gentoo, you'd install stage3, the only install stage for arm I think, then as things are updated you would compile them with the chips you're using. With good use flags I don't see how any distro could be faster. Then there is the problem of hours of compiling when something does need updated.

Gentoo was the fastest distro I've used, not because it cut corners on gui's, but because everything on that computer was compiled for that computer.
You can always use another installation of Gentoo (an installation on your desktop) to cross-compile a binary package for the Pandora and install that. It'll be just as optimized, and it will compile MUCH faster.

(I'm also a Gentoo user, btw.)

second exodous said:

Gentoo is fast on PC because you're compiling for your specific Hardware. It doesn't make sense for Pandora. The same package compiled by someone else for their Pandora will be equally optimized for your Pandora. Gentoo just doesn't make sense.

Megamixman said:
Gentoo is fast on PC because you're compiling for your specific Hardware. It doesn't make sense for Pandora. The same package compiled by someone else for their Pandora will be equally optimized for your Pandora. Gentoo just doesn't make sense.
And there's even debate as to whether the speed-up is even noticeable in normal desktop usage, or mostly power of suggestion.

I've never seen benchmark numbers to back up the idea that Gentoo is faster. Only highly questionable anecdotal evidence.

I finally got round to playing with Xubuntu over the weekend. My gosh! I never knew an operating system could run so fast, everything happens almost instantaneously. Xfce is much prettier than I remember.

Parkydr said:
Evilwm is the most lightweight window manager I know of and it has "evil" in the name, so it must be good :) .

lol

Anyway yeah, you should be fine with most, as long as they're optimized. The ubuntu in the video was not optimized

puppylinux on the pandora... you must be joking it is a livecd leave it at that

don't get me wrong puppylinux works fine for what it is and i have even made a derivative of it but.... no just no

on the other hand T2 which is what puppylinux 2.10 (early concept test was crap so don't both) and the 4.x series is based on is even better than gentoo for optimisation since gentoo no longer compiles EVERYTHING which T2 does do... there would probably be a little more work in designing a distro based on it though

I think there is a psion distro based on T2 but im not sure yeah... just checked they have Psion dreamcast (WIP) and the neo phone among others also they have beefy support for embedded systems such as dietlibc etc...

and.. ...an idiotic question: how long it takes or is it possible to optimise linux versions?

also, could an admin remove an "s" from "distributions" ? i was tired

actually the title is correct (maybe make it "the pandora"), because the is is referencing the pandora and not the distributions

Kyosys said:
actually the title is correct (maybe make it "the pandora"), because the is is referencing the pandora and not the distributions
actually..yes

Back