What Should I Do

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
Yesterday I came home from work (summer job) and found that I had a letter from MIT! (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). It invited me to go to some meeting in a city that is about a 3 hour drive away from me on a monday night at 7:00. I have school that monday. I have work that monday (4-7). I'm sure I will have homework that monday. Should I go anyways? How important is this? I've gotten a lot of other requests from other schools, but they are schools that I've never heard of. But MIT is a very well known school for technology and that's what I'm interested in. I would be missing work, I would have trouble getting my homework done, and I wouldn't get much sleep (probably be home around 12:00).

So, should I go?

EDIT: I'm going into my junior year of high school.

Fuck college.

(Note: this advice is coming from a high-school drop-out, currently working for 'The Phone Company', so take it as you will ;))

deadlychicken22 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:49 PM said:
Yesterday I came home from work (summer job) and found that I had a letter from MIT! (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). It invited me to go to some meeting in a city that is about a 3 hour drive away from me on a monday night at 7:00. I have school that monday. I have work that monday (4-7). I'm sure I will have homework that monday. Should I go anyways? How important is this? I've gotten a lot of other requests from other schools, but they are schools that I've never heard of. But MIT is a very well known school for technology and that's what I'm interested in. I would be missing work, I would have trouble getting my homework done, and I wouldn't get much sleep (probably be home around 12:00).

So, should I go?

EDIT: I'm going into my junior year of high school.
I'd say, yes. I go to sleep around 3ish on school nights and still manage to over achieve. Go figure. I don't know any American colleges and even I know MIT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you know it wil be a god dam bore
but it really is good knowing what you can do later, i know i went to a few things like that, and it really does help loads if you want to contnue for further education.
but live on the wildside my friend, go to bed real late

(Note: this advice is coming from a high-school drop-out, currently working for 'The Phone Company', so take it as you will wink.gif)
:p
I go to sleep around 3ish on school nights and still manage to over achieve.
but live on the wildside my friend, go to bed real late
I go to bed late when I can, but I just can't function without sleep. And I will most likely have homework to do when I get back at 12:00. However, I did manage to get 100% on my biology exam after getting only 4 hours of sleep and studying the morning of the test. I think I was the only one who got 100% ;)

BTW, I have to get up at 6:15 to get to school

pretty early to be getting this kind of attention from colleges, no? It wasnt till my senior year that was was asked to come visit, was offered money, etc.

still, i say go.

Yeah, I'm starting my senior year of high school next month, and I only started getting college offers this summer (once a few that I picked out in my state got my first ACT scores... a 29, if I remember correctly).

jmetal88 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:00 PM said:
Yeah, I'm starting my senior year of high school next month, and I only started getting college offers this summer (once a few that I picked out in my state got my first ACT scores... a 29, if I remember correctly).
still haven't gotten anything and going into senior year

DemonStar55 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
You will. If you have a college adviser/guidance counselor, they'll tell you to sign up with college board, and then it all happens: Be prepared to be spammed like never before :D

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 27 2006 at 05:12 AM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Jul 26 2006 at 11:06 PM said:
You will. If you have a college adviser/guidance counselor, they'll tell you to sign up with college board, and then it all happens: Be prepared to be spammed like never before :D
yep, they're even calling me o_O

about your question, yes of course, just go!

Ok, I think I'm going to go unless something important comes up (work isn't important :p )

I've gotten a lot of stuff from colleges because I took a test called the "PLAN" that is like a precursor to the ACT and I got a 28. Based off of that score, they estimate I will get between a 29 and a 33 on the ACT. But I can't believe they would base anything off of that test, it was incredibly easy and I made a lot of stupid mistakes. The only hard part was the time limit.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 27 2006 at 08:56 PM said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo³ Don't do it!!!

no deadlychicken, dont join the darkside!!
HAHA
o and er telco lou is your real father

sam fisher posted on Jul 27 2006 at 04:14 PM said:
Ha ha! TelcoLout didn't manage to complete high school!

Technically, no ... but I got my GED, and was working already by the tender age of 16.

how is that funny? I know people who didnt complete HS. For good reasons too.

To laugh in someone's face is just slightly obnoxious. But then again, I'd expect nothing more from you.

deadlychicken22 posted on Jul 27 2006 at 12:10 PM said:
Ok at I think I'm going to go unless something important comes up (work isn't important :p )

I've gotten a lot of stuff from colleges because I took a test called the "PLAN" that is like a precursor to the ACT and I got a 28. Based off of that score, they estimate I will get between a 29 and a 33 on the ACT. But I can't believe they would base anything off of that test, it was incredibly easy and I made a lot of stupid mistakes. The only hard part was the time limit.

Interestingly enough, when I took the PLAN I made like a 22 or a 23 on it or something. Had no bearing on my ACT score, as I made a 29 on that.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 29 2006 at 02:41 AM said:

To laugh in someone's face is just slightly obnoxious. But then again, I'd expect nothing more from you.
Meh, I have asperger syndrome. I do socially inappropriate things. People round here know I don't mean anything I do.

Also we dont have highschool in england. We have secondary school. And to not pass that you would have to be a blind and deaf 5 year old. I mean, writing general crap in most of the tests would get you a pass. So as its kinda the same thing I assume its not hard to finish.

sam fisher posted on Jul 29 2006 at 03:28 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 29 2006 at 02:41 AM said:

Meh, I have asperger syndrome. I do socially inappropriate things. People round here know I don't mean anything I do.

Also we dont have highschool in england. We have secondary school. And to not pass that you would have to be a blind and deaf 5 year old. I mean, writing general crap in most of the tests would get you a pass. So as its kinda the same thing I assume its not hard to finish.
mayby your just a natural selfish bastard...

Back