What should i do....

Lord Moonscar

Still Fresh
Im getting nervous...Epically reading the hurtful comments on hackaday . Its been almost a year and i understand Open Pandora's position but i worry that when i recieve the Pandora that there will be newer hardware or i will loose interest. Has anyone else got nervous around there one year of waiting ?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long did you have to wait ?

And did anyone (partner or family) ever just ask you every day if you had any news about your pandora?

been a year and a half since i first ordered a pandora and me ever touching one, its been outdated specs wise for quite some time now by smartphones, but until one gives me a proper desktop interface, open source, physical buttons*, and isnt constantly bothered by a large company telling me what i can and cant do with my device, to a point where they cripple my usage of said device, im looking at you sony, pandora, with its massive battery, will have my vote

Almost a year?! I've been waiting since October 2008. Nervous? Yeah, I got nervous, then frustrated. Then I began to find the whole farce pretty funny. Then the premium thing happened and I got frustrated again. Pandora have my money and I don't have a Pandora. Not sure that situation will ever change at this stage.

Still, those who have it say it's great so maybe some time in 2048 my robot butler will come to me with a surprise - beamed in through the teleposter is a little package with a quaint relic of a time gone by: the Pandora. Or maybe it will never happen.

Been waiting since May 2009 here :)

The many months between my date and BeefJerky's, coupled with the fact he doesn't have his Pandora yet, don't give me high hopes for a prompt delivery.

But, hey, the iControlPad is fun... and gives me a reason to stick around!

I ordered mine day 1 and received it about 4 months ago. I forget now how long that made the wait and it got to the point where in my mind I had written the money off.

I have to say the Pandora is awesome and if you are looking to play emulated games up to PS1 level and homebrew then the spec is fine. I am constantly amazed by what you can do on something so small. Presently playing Elite, super geometry dust and updating my game on the pandora using bennugd.

keep the faith I dont see specs really leaving the pandora behind.

Batch 1 or 2 (?) I'd either way, stick it out personally (and it pains me to know I was one of the lucky ones, to get early units without the tech know how to maximise the community gain in return)

There maybe a delay with things again, as the new companies get sorted out but perhaps some good luck is coming OPT's way for a change. Regardless, the remaining units will eventually get off the manufacture line and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Pandora. Whilst a little rough around the edges, its very versatile and does alot of things very well. Sure I can't claim to have high demands as a non smartphone user, and not being too techy but it has great controls (that everything feels built for), runs so much software its difficult to choose what to do with it at any moment each day, plus more apps and more polished additions to the user experience, are either delivered, in progress, or planned each day. All by a so far, tiny community of actual units in the wild. Imagine it with even a 100 thousand units...heck even 20k, or a gazillion?

Its a great piece of kit already and will hopefully soon get out of its manufacturing delay hell and prove itself (in sales aswell hopefully) as an alternative device of equal/more capability, to things that already out-spec it, by the big companies but which are still lacklustre, when they lack the openness, the vision and the potential of what OPT may deliver with Pandora in future, or muster up with P2, if they are successful enough to launch a sequel. The sequel will blow everything out the water (as they've learned from this) and for now, at least for me, so does Pandora.

Its great for books, comics, pics, video, better audio quality/volume than an iPod, gaming history in a truly pocketable yet controllable formfactor, email, chat, more browser options than anything (without even typing lag of some I've heard mentioned) you'd ever need, (which bar flash performance are all pretty decent), remote desktop control, music creation, office apps and organisation, coding on the go if you can at all and a heap of stuff I dont understand at all, which other folk are happily using theirs for. Heck I've barely scratched the surface after a year and there's promise in the Droidora project, gentoo, debian, arch, Panorama Milky UI, PNDstore, the repo spec, Craigix's intended iOS clone, future minimenu revisions, all as 'OTHER OPTIONS'.......You've got Bluez already with the project?

Hell we aren't even onto Yars from Zaxxon yet.....then we'll have Bluez.....as this baby ain't even out of its swaddling
wink.gif
So nothing is rotten in Denmark (or at least Germany) for now and you'd be as mad as Hamlets perceived to be, to abandon this cunning plan already.

I tell you - it's worth it.

Outdated hardware? So...?

Let's face things the way they are... Pandora has enough manpower to emulate quite everything up to N64 and PSX perfectly. Sounds good right?

Well. Phones might have better hardware but we are currently in a quite uh.. how to label this properly... timeline greyzone?

They have better hardware, but not good enough to take it to the "next level", do you understand what I mean?

The next level would be Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Gamecube and Wii emulation... and to be honest, it's quite some time till the mobile hardware reaches a level that can pull this off without being explicitely made for it... (NGP, im looking at you here...)

So yes... phones are faster, but the usefulness of those "unused resources" is quite questionable...

Pandora is older, true, but it uses its available powers to the max to pull off what is possible with it.

Besides, its a open plattform which allows you to pull your own stuff off - which I plan to do once I finish school in a year and a half. :D

So yes... Pandora is worth the wait, no matter how long. It's a awesome piece of shit... and having a full desktop environment gives me countless joygasms - daily!

I love mine.

They can drown us in insults, but their well of alternatives is dry. Let them spew hypothetical bile and void comparisons; they are blind to the difference and by inference, blind to the reasons. Bullies attack what they don't understand, this is nothing new.

Or, they're totally right, and I'm wasting my time posting this using a very comfortable handheld keyboard. Nah. :)

I am in awe of you and others who have so hopefully waited; you are all very important contributors to the project in your own right. I believe that yet even more patience and faith with OPT will yield reward with the new direction they are taking. And I think it will still be worth it (barring any surprises from the technology side of the market) even when the Panda hardware is 3 or 4 years old. The design is that good.

Well the Pandora hardware must be close to three years old already so we're almost at that point. And you seem to be right and it's definitely holding its own, which is a great sign. Though, ultimately, only of use to those who actually have one.

I haven't yet seen a single device that comes close to matching what the Pandora can do, for the price I paid for the Pandora way-back-when. Sure I have iPhones and iPads and laptops and netbooks and tablets and god knows what else... but none of these things are a Pandora.

The Pandora combines a unique feature set, software and form-factor into a platform that simply has no immediate competition... why the hell *wouldn't* any self respecting geek want one?

Sure, the delays have been insane, absolutely bonkers... but those of us who ordered early ( most of us anyway ) always knew that the Pandora was more an investment into these guys amazing dream, rather than another off-the-shelf gizmo that we'd be done with and bored of in a year. To see that "investment" blossom into a product which has shipped *any* units in the face of the adversity OpenPandora has been met with is quite awesome.

Oh, and like other people I've pretty much written that money off, anyway. And with the Pandora price hike, it's pretty clear I could sell it at zero loss if I *really* wanted to.

emulate quite everything up to N64 and PSX perfectly

all videos i have seen on psx games ran slow.

so "perfectly" is not true i think.
I bet those videos are outdated as hell.

So far I have yet to discover a psx game that doesnt run fullspeed or very close to it when running at 900 mhz and pcsx rearmed r8.

You might want to give it a try yourself first if you have a Pandora.

So far I have yet to discover a psx game that doesnt run fullspeed or very close to it when running at 900 mhz and pcsx rearmed r8.

You might want to give it a try yourself first if you have a Pandora.
Over-clocking to 900 Mhz isn't all that neccessary, because PCSX-ReARMed uses NEON instructions, which isn't over-clocking friendly at all.

To add to the above, I can only clock mine up to 750MHz (at stock voltage) for PCSX-ReARMed (the max is 850MHz, otherwise, for my Pandora), and I have yet to come across anything other than full-speed with my games. I do leave auto-frameskip on, though, just in case it's needed, but I rarely see that kick in anymore as of R8.

^ Same with me. I've never ever needed to go over 800 Mhz with any game using PCSX-ReARMed (I, too leave auto-frame skip on, lol).

Sometimes I turn autoframeskip on, sometimes not. And I really don't get the overclocking-unfriendliness, it's crashed on me for that once. I can bring it to 850 and it's like I'm not.

Back