What would you like to see?

The game Shenmue is something I am really looking forward to being able to play on the go.  I have been looking at the REICAST videos and wondering if it is easy to transfer files for saved games to it.  

Watching ED play one of his favorite games: ET, the fixed version, for the Atari 2600. 
You want to make people be interested in the device, not scare them with bad games and let them run away. :D
It sounds like the changes that were made showed that the game can be very good.  I would like to give it a try some time.

Edit:

Awesome video, ED.  I really appreciate it.  Looking forward to some more.  As you showed, it should be enough for some moderate browsing.  We may not be able to have tons of tabs, but enough that it shouldn't be a problem.  

Back on the first page a few of us asked about LibreOffice.  Is that possible at this point?  If you do a video of that with some sizable documents and such, it might be nice to see how it would work with a browser running a few tabs, as well.  If that works well enough I might need to find a way to have enough money to preorder.

I am a bit curious if Metasploit would be worthwhile to try on a Pyra.  Here are the requirements: http://www.rapid7.com/products/metasploit/system-requirements.jsp
I've used Metasploit on systems with much lower requirements than they suggest and its usable; the system requirements they give assume you're using Pro or Express and Nexpose integration etc. Metasploit Framework is virtually as functional as the other versions it just requires quite a bit more effort on the part of the user and there's less built-in automation. Framework would definitely be worthwhile to run on a Pyra and it likely runs ok right now on a Pandora, Framework doesn't have a gui but you can always compile Armitage. I've ran Metasploit framework on a iPhone4.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I considered trying with something under specs it was widely said to be unusable.  I may give it a shot on my Pandora when I have time early next year since I think someone has used it in the past.  I had forgotten there was a GUI, not that I use Metasploit much.

Is it still too early to ask for anything virtualization related? like seeing some VM running via Xen ARM or KVM (if it's not too much too ask)?

Also like asked before, will it be possible to see any heavy IDE's like Eclipse, or Netbeans running?

Is it still too early to ask for anything virtualization related? like seeing some VM running via Xen ARM or KVM (if it's not too much too ask)?

Also like asked before, will it be possible to see any heavy IDE's like Eclipse, or Netbeans running?
My devboard OS I threw together myself most likely can't use the VM stuff as I compiled the kernel myself and most likely didn't add the support properly, but I can share a video of it running Netbeans and it compiling a project..

Edit: Video uploading now, just waiting for it. will add it here when done.

Edit2: Here it is, recorded this past midnight so a tad tired.. still processing so hang on..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BD6udaCD0jw?feature=oembed

There's a lot of stuff you can do with a Pandora due to it's size and form that's impractical with a smartphone or where a netbook is too large. You don't necessarily have to run things directly on the device; there's always 4G dongles and VNC-ing into a machine you've set up at home.

Hmm.. the Video only processed 360p... I'll re-upload it.. 

Hey Trashy.. Do us a favour and try blood in dosbox.
I played with this this morning, the dosbox in the debian armhf repository seems highly un-optimized and it may also because I haven't fixed some of the performance issues with the desktop that EvilDragon mentions in the web browsing video. I could attempt to compile it myself, but not sure when I can find time for that. Blood ran better on the Pandora and that is without your secret optimized version.

Edit: updated video in prior post.. now full HD.. however monitor still looks like garbage.. 

Hey Trashy.. Do us a favour and try blood in dosbox.
That's my favourite game..Straight up my favourite game. Loved the snark and dark humour of the game.

Something I would like to see as a test of viable desktop replacement capabilities:

Hook up a USB DVD player.  Insert a music CD.  Rip to MP3.  Insert a DVD.  Rip it as well.  Time each - though I'm not expecting it to be super fast, more interested in seeing it do it.

Hook up a USB DVD player.  Insert a music CD.  Rip to MP3.  Insert a DVD.  Rip it as well.  Time each - though I'm not expecting it to be super fast, more interested in seeing it do it.
Not sure when I can get to it, but seems easy enough.. I have capability of hitching the DVD drive via SATA or USB.

Not sure when I can get to it, but seems easy enough.. I have capability of hitching the DVD drive via SATA or USB.
Do it via Sata, almost no other portable device can do this...
Edit: Although, an optical drive probably needs 12V, doesn't it? Pity.

Do it via Sata, almost no other portable device can do this...

Edit: Although, an optical drive probably needs 12V, doesn't it? Pity.
Not at all.  I have one that is USB powered - although it does come with a 2 to 1 cable to tap the power of two USB ports at once.

Mine is pretty much like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-External-Combo-CD-RW-Burner/dp/B006DUDWXI

I'm actually more interested to see this done on the USB ports since an actual 'portable DVD drive' is unlikely to be eSATA.

I'm actually more interested to see this done on the USB ports since an actual 'portable DVD drive' is unlikely to be eSATA.
Fair enough, It's the more common use case. My DVD drive is from my thinkpad it's SATA, It's the type that easily slides out.. I'll just use my SATA to USB adapter..
However I won't be able to set this up until next week as I'm away from home over the weekend starting today.

Fair enough, It's the more common use case. My DVD drive is from my thinkpad it's SATA, It's the type that easily slides out.. I'll just use my SATA to USB adapter..

However I won't be able to set this up until next week as I'm away from home over the weekend starting today.
Absolutely no rush.

Back