Whats the "killer app" going to be for the Pyra?

No, throwing Pyra at a bit of a wall when your entire colony gets murdered is not good for your mental health and wallet. 

Dwarf fortress runs badly even on a powerhouse gaming pc, A pyra port would be nightmarish slow. It's fun though, if you only want to play the first 30 minutes of it.

Windows 8 on Pyra!
batman_slaps_robin_by_lovelyobnoxious-d4zd0s4.jpg

Yea, mmy main reasons for saying it was awesome were these:It's better than the one in the OMAP.We're never going to be able to get an A7It's better than most of its competition-God Ginrai

Of course this could be possible (theoretically)... disassemble Iphones (5S) to obtain a fully working mainboard with a shiny new A7 and memory soldered onto along with lots of support peripherals on it. Just too expensive to realistically do :)

While this gets access to an A7 with its custom architecture ARMv8 and superb gpu power there aren't any linux drivers available. Unless you try to hijack the blobs present in the Apple firmware which would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tech demo... going native wine would most probably produce playable speeds...
If by native WINE you mean x86, then yes. That would be faster. Half-life in this case is a native linux client, so WINE isn't even in the picture.

This demo has native OpenGL rendering, but their rendering pipeline seems to be too CPU-bound. I had better luck with Unreal Tournament.

I'm vaguely building a more gaming-optimized QEMU (as in the CPU part). We'll see how it goes. The raw power alone of the Pyra should give us a huge leg up on ports and emulation.

Guys, the killer app is going to be a working Dwarf Fortress.... please...
I did this a long time ago on my CC. Let's see if I can dig up a video. Honestly, running it over SSH or something might have less lag. (Edit: looks like I didn't upload the video)

If by native WINE you mean x86, then yes. That would be faster. Half-life in this case is a native linux client, so WINE isn't even in the picture.
^ Actually I was using wine in that video. I still need to test out the native Linux Half-life.

Is it using OpenGL? (you'd see a few messages from libGL in the terminal on startup if that's working).

Is it using OpenGL?
I did set the renderer to OpenGL in the Half-life settings. So I believe so.. this was with your release you did several months ago.

Edit: I can fire it up again to make sure.

So it's likely completely CPU-bound against QEMU. WINE isn't as big of an optimization target as QEMU in this case :)

As much as is possible of audio and video acceleration is pushed to the host already.

Well now I can't make it run.. I'll poke around with it later..

Of course this could be possible (theoretically)... disassemble Iphones (5S) to obtain a fully working mainboard with a shiny new A7 and memory soldered onto along with lots of support peripherals on it. Just too expensive to realistically do :)

While this gets access to an A7 with its custom architecture ARMv8 and superb gpu power there aren't any linux drivers available. Unless you try to hijack the blobs present in the Apple firmware which would be a tremendous accomplishment.
You get that working and I'll change my opinion on the GPU in the A80. :p

-God Ginrai

Back