Whats up with the GP32X forum??

This forum does cater for GP32, GP2X, and Wiz fans, I know what you you mean though. It would be nice to have the old forum but with this newer style. But maybe have more than 1 person who can fix it if it goes wrong rather than having to wait for the sysop/admin to find the time in there busy sced to run a backup etc :)

ashdjones said:
I think it was me, sorry guys.

I said to myself yesterday 'Oh I wish this whole forum would just go away' not thinking anything of it...

*BANHAMMER* ;P

Edy said:
Don't fix gp32x. This is an excellent oportunity to make this forum the main/default/official one. It's managed by EvilDragon (Pandora team), runs smoother, belongs to the domain openpandora.org...

That has got to be the most selfish, repugnant goddamn thing I've heard in a while.

GP32X is the home of the community. It was around long before the Pandora was even thought of. It has catered to at least 2 generations of homebrew handhelds, and It isn't an exclusively Pandora forum that you can just abandon because the Pandora community is moving elsewhere. That would be like telling them to shut down DCEmu because the PSP discussion was moving elsewhere. To say that just makes you look like an ass.

Second, GP32X is where we have our roots. Most of the Pandora community are either a former GP2X/GP32 user and have been going to GP32X for a while now. Only you new people (not all new people, I'm singling out ones who make posts like Edy just did) who can't seem to grasp that a community project should stay with the community don't want a forum that isn't at the same domain as the product. No one who understands and respects what forums are would choose forums to post at based on the domain. They would choose the forums based on the community, because that is what matters

Third, the forum on GP32X functions much better.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai, I understand where the community came from and have nothing against the gp2x domain. Nor do I really care that this is under the Pandora domain. I do however wish the community would move here since I have yet to see them go down, while the other has gone down at least a few times since I started coming here. Though I'm no where near as aggressive as the others to even consider taking down the gp2x forums as that is harmful to the community for so many reasons.

Ah well, hope to see the old back soon since there was much more information there and conversations happening.

The old board now reads-
Board is temporary down. Sorry but there are problems with database and until we figure it out board'll remain closed.

Korlithiel said:
God Ginrai, I understand where the community came from and have nothing against the gp2x domain. Nor do I really care that this is under the Pandora domain. I do however wish the community would move here since I have yet to see them go down, while the other has gone down at least a few times since I started coming here. Though I'm no where near as aggressive as the others to even consider taking down the gp2x forums as that is harmful to the community for so many reasons.

Ah well, hope to see the old back soon since there was much more information there and conversations happening.

The OpenPandora server DID go down, and then they transferred to a new one. GP32X, while not sharing the domain, IS on the same server. Also, contrary to what Chip says, GP32X does not go down this often. I've been on GP32X ever since before the GP2X was released, and I've only seen the forums go down 3 times. Last fall, this time, and one time because of a MySQL error, which I believe to have been a problem during an update.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I've been on GP32X ever since before the GP2X was released, and I've only seen the forums go down 3 times. Last fall, this time, and one time because of a MySQL error, which I believe to have been a problem during an update.

You forgot the half a dozen times that the GP32x forum can down to a grinding halt. Just saying ;)

God Ginrai said:
The OpenPandora server DID go down, and then they transferred to a new one. GP32X, while not sharing the domain, IS on the same server. Also, contrary to what Chip says, GP32X does not go down this often. I've been on GP32X ever since before the GP2X was released, and I've only seen the forums go down 3 times. Last fall, this time, and one time because of a MySQL error, which I believe to have been a problem during an update.
gp32x.de has been down (anywhere from a couple hours to a day or more) at least four times in the last 12 months. These things happen. Boards crash. As far as I know, it's no real catastrophe.

Although ED offered to host gp32x.de on his server, the move was never made. It remains on the same server it has always been on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edy said:
Don't fix gp32x. This is an excellent oportunity to make this forum the main/default/official one. It's managed by EvilDragon (Pandora team), runs smoother, belongs to the domain openpandora.org...

i agre. Gp32X deserve to die becaus GP232X is a useless consloe and deserve to fail. Pnaodra is the future of netbooks and if there is no forum for gp#@x pandora will be \bettre~!

God Ginrai said:
It isn't an exclusively Pandora forum that you can just abandon because the Pandora community is moving elsewhere. That would be like telling them to shut down DCEmu because the PSP discussion was moving elsewhere.

Sorry I meant the Pandora forums only.

Yes, I agree. I am not going to get into the community aspects of it and certainly wouldn't say the other forum should die, but layout wise, I much prefer this forum. The multiple categories such as hardware and software make it a lot easier to watch what you are interested in instead of looking through one big jumbled General mess, and that is something that could certainly be implemented on the other forums.

This forum is garbage. phpBB is always having PUBLIC exploits published not to mention numerous privates that still exist, the layout is confusing and counter-intuitive, and it has an overall worse feel than IPB. Also, if you've ever been to gp32x, it just doesn't feel like home.

Garbage it may be, but right now it's working and the other forum isn't and is currently blocked off while they try to figure out what's busted.

I won't dispute I'd rather have the other forum, but right now I'll take the other port...any port in a storm as they always say. :D

I'm wary of diving into this dust up.... I'm sure to upset someone by making this comment... :(

No offense to any of the parties involved, and irregardless of the forum technology used, the root problem here is having a large active forum without an active site admin. The less active a site admin is, the more frequent and severe these kinds of outages become.

Forum moderators can take you a very long way, but large communities like gp32x require a fair amount of attention. Regular site updates, particularly forum updates, are a must.

I think it would be sad if we needed to abandon gp32x.de and move elsewhere. It has a well established community that would be fractured by moving it elsewhere. But I think it may be time to, politely, ask hando if he'd be willing to hand over the reigns to someone else who had the time and energy to maintain the site.

The same is true here. forums.openpandora.org is a great idea, but without active moderators or site admins, this place is effectively stagnant. Yes, it's slow because all the action is happening over at gp32x.de, but still we have months old stickies irrelevant to the discussion about Pandora. The site needs active pruning and community leaders to seed the site for future growth. ED should similarly consider handing over the reigns to someone willing the time to perform site admin duties.... perhaps to take the duties back once manufacturing details of the Pandora were sorted out.

This isn't to say Chip and others aren't doing a good job in forum moderation.. on the contrary they've been doing a fantastic job. But site admin duties are different alltogether. Communities on the scale of thousands of users expect downtimes measured in hours instead of days, even if they don't "deserve it" or are impatient. The Pandora will thrive on these active communities and Pandora Ltd neglect them at their peril.

I actually *have* played secondary site admin to a site that was owned by another person that was exceptionally busy, and was hard to contact when things went down. I had FTP access and passwords, but I wasn't the client, wasn't paying for the site and couldn't complain to the ISP if things went wrong. After several similar outages I eventually ported the site to another location and upgraded all the server software... a good thing too as the original site domain name expired weeks later without a word from our site owner. We haven't heard from him since.

On another note, I think it's a bad idea to split up the GP32, GP2X, Wiz and Pandora folks... Even though their user communities might be somewhat segregated, their dev communities are much more tightly integrated, and there's a natural evolution from GP32 to GP2X to Wiz and Pandora behind the scenes. Even as a Pandora dev, there's plenty of dev gems of wisdom hidden in the gp2x dev forums that would be lost if user groups were segregated to different sites.

I don't mean to start a flame war... this is a discussion to have *after* gp32x.dees back online. For the moment we'll sit tight here and wait out the storm.

I think they need to either get rid of all the non-pandora sections in this fourm and use it solely for the pandora, This would mean moving the gp32x pandora section here.

Or delete this entirely if they want to keep the gp32,wiz and pandora together on the same board. And make a few needed changes to gp32 forum.

I guess it depends if they want to keep the older console boards together with pandora. Personally, I think pandora board should be totally seperate. :)

atomicthumbs said:
Edy said:

i agre. Gp32X deserve to die becaus GP232X is a useless consloe and deserve to fail. Pnaodra is the future of netbooks and if there is no forum for gp#@x pandora will be \bettre~!

I was going to flame you to no end until I looked to the left and saw your user name.

@ Joa: Hope you've got your flame proof jacket on then. ;) gp32x.de is the community. It's where Pandora was born. A split from that community can not happen.

@ Trevor: I agree with pretty much everything you've said. Particularly with regard to site administration. The cobwebs in this place are a little embarrassing, and the mods don't have access to fix everything. I posted earlier that someone needs to be given admin access. Chip's been on here a bit, so I'm sure those on high are aware of the situation.

Back