What's Your Dev Setup Going To Be?

zodttd said:
I'm very interested in which toolchain will prevail and why.

This has already been answered, but here it is again:

- CodeSourcery gcc
- TI c64x toolchain.

Why? Because CodeSourcery makes the best ARM crosstool chain, and TI uses it.
And for the c64x it's not like there is anything else available :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably try and get something together on OS X, although I'm not sure I'll be using XCode, as the awful code folding drives me mad. I might see if I can get linux running in VMWare Fusion and Dev from that...

Any suggestions for IDEs for Macs?

(I don't know if I can be bothered to dev on my windows box... although saying that, I use visual studio for Xbox 360 XNA on there already...)

Not that the "unstable" releases weren't any good :)

I'm probably going to use Code::Blocks too. It seems like CodeSourcery uses Eclipse and I just don't like Eclipse because it's too heavy for my tastes.

Maybe we all should just use vim like notaz :)

Tinnus said:
Not that the "unstable" releases weren't any good :)

I'm probably going to use Code::Blocks too. It seems like CodeSourcery uses Eclipse and I just don't like Eclipse because it's too heavy for my tastes.

Maybe we all should just use vim like notaz :)
Mac support wasn't great on the pre-8.02 SVN snapshots.

Laurent said:
And for the c64x it's not like there is anything else available :)
VirtualLogix is running Linux on the C64x, but I believe they may still be using the TI compiler under a gcc frontend (I really have no idea). All the required specs are out there if anyone wants to get going on a native C64x compiler. According to the TMS320 wiki page, someone started on that back in 2004.

jadon said:
VirtualLogix is running Linux on the C64x, but I believe they may still be using the TI compiler under a gcc frontend (I really have no idea). All the required specs are out there if anyone wants to get going on a native C64x compiler. According to the TMS320 wiki page, someone started on that back in 2004.

I have already posted some links here. It's perhaps time to start doing some post summarizing tool discussions as the same questions keep on being asked :p

From my point of view, to program the c6x you need at the very least an optimizing assembler similar to TI linear assembler, and that is a major project, but a very interesting project. However I don't see the point engaging into this since we still have hope TI will provide their toolchain. And their toolchain is very good :)

I have started working on the simulator (starting from the one I mentionned in my post), but I have no way to test it since I have no toolchain...

Laurent said:
I have started working on the simulator (starting from the one I mentionned in my post), but I have no way to test it since I have no toolchain...
There is a time limited version of CCS available which you could use for the toolchain until something else is available. It is the same as what I am using.

Squidge said:
There is a time limited version of CCS available which you could use for the toolchain until something else is available. It is the same as what I am using.
Already gave it a try and wine doesn't like the installer, so it's a no-no for me :(
However I have successfully installed it on XP, now I "just" have to look at Windows registry to see what the installer did that makes the cg and linker fail on wine. The good thing is that this reminds me how much I hate XP for dev :D

Back