When This Is Over....

Crunchwrap said:
(naw)mcx said:
I'm not sure we want the kind of people who can't read stickies or use google owning Pandoras.
+10 points to Gryffindor (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Harry Potter seems like the type of book you would read)

Never read any of the books.

I got the reference, don't you worry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Crunchwrap said:
(naw)mcx said:
I'm not sure we want the kind of people who can't read stickies or use google owning Pandoras.
+10 points to Gryffindor (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Harry Potter seems like the type of book you would read)
Um, the Pandora team is putting so much into this project lets not dictate who can and can not have one.

-20 points

EDIT: @ Prometheus
No, that isn't the thread I was thinking about, it was longer than that one. I think it might have been last year, I'm not sure. The general conclusion of the thread ended with a lot of people admitting that it would be better for the community if they were nice. I think it might have been a 'I hate newbies' or 'newbies make me mad' thread, I can't remember.

second exodous said:
EDIT: @ Prometheus
No, that isn't the thread I was thinking about, it was longer than that one. I think it might have been last year, I'm not sure. The general conclusion of the thread ended with a lot of people admitting that it would be better for the community if they were nice. I think it might have been a 'I hate newbies' or 'newbies make me mad' thread, I can't remember.

I think it was something along the lines of 'what to do about all the n00b questions' or 'how to deal with the n00bs' or something along those lines.

The thing I dont understand is why anyone has to be a dick about noob posts? Dont like it? dont waste your time answering. They'll either find it on their own eventually or someone who's NOT a dick will post a link to their answer. I dont understand why this is such a difficulty on the internet at large unless people just like generally being dicks.

*sigh* but then again this IS the internet after all. Pardon me for using common sense and stuff.

what maybe would really help was a video carefully explaining in lazmans terms, like five minutes, the most common questions on the pandora? Would be easy to link. Maybe Wikis discourage people with walls of text?

Alpha2 said:
The thing I dont understand is why anyone has to be a dick about noob posts? Dont like it? dont waste your time answering....
I try to follow this advice. Every time I see a new thread that I consider useless I tend to roll my eyes and then try to ignore it. You know, the frequent 'Where are the cases?' threads and stuff like that.

But then I sometimes see those threads go to like 16 pages and then I can't be bothered to read through it all to see what caused so much discussion. After that I see on the blog that Craig has posted some very pertinent information on page 14 of this 'noob' thread that I've tried so hard to avoid. So then I feel compelled to read these threads which frequently annoy me by their very existence just in case something official gets mentioned.

I've since stopped this behaviour, it does me no good. If anything informative gets mentioned I'll rely on the blog to pick it up, thank God for Gruso et al.

GunPei2X said:
The forum will explode once the Pandora is released. Watch this space.

I think you are right. I rarely comment on the forum anymore. Almost all discussions are about delays or fantasizing about what the Pandora could do.
That is fun for a couple of weeks, but those weeks happened a long time ago...

I agree that there will be a ton more people posting once it's released. Just think, almost 4000 people will be getting their Pandoras soon...Even if only 5% actively post, that's 200 people. And there will be more people waiting for future batches once they see the awesomeness of the first batch.
Viva La Pandora!

keaft said:
.... You will all stick around... and you will go to http://quantumdrive.dyndns.org and contribute to that project...

...oh and those were the droids you were looking for.

Your Jedi mind tricks will not work on us. Move along.

atomicthumbs said:
"posted from my Pandora"
bastard! (don't often swear on-line but for you, I make this special exception. :p )

SONY said:
Pandora n00bs = Ex-Vaporware Twats
LOL

Now! I'll be here! Up until yesterday I'd only ever posted on this forum (I may have posted on keaft's too but I cannot clearly recall doing so).
The other forum was RetroGamer's. I just had to leave some negative feed-back for Iain Lee's crap article about the VIC-20. Turd!

I love you all and the FUN WILL NOT STOP AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR PANDORA. You will still have things to wait for and the onus will shift to the software developers (so Keaft wave your little green jedi hand over dflemstr and get him coding :) ).

Once I receive my Pandora I will test the shit out of it and make a lot of videos for people to see on my personal website and on YouTube. So, once the waiting is over you can expect that these forums will go down again due to people coming here to visit and post their comments about this non-vaporware handheld console. Then we finally have some decency back here on these forums, and no random (completely boring and unnecessary) crap like we saw here for the past months. Like all these topics that are based on a single blog post, or one random comment from one of the developers.

Yep, finally we have something REAL to talk about again.

second exodous said:
DaMummy said:
people who cant handle dickiness shouldnt be on the internet
DING DING DING! We have a winner folks, give him the big fluffy bunny!

Just ignore any newbie questions, ok DaMummy?
To be fair, he does have a point. There has been more than one time where someone has asked a question, and the response has been a (seemingly to me) very polite "this information can be found by using the search function" or even "you can read about this in the wiki". And then the person basically explodes about how rude and if you can take the time to tell me to search why didn't you just tell me, and on and on, leaving me to wonder just what kind of sheltered life this individual has lead that they consider it rude to have to do a minor amount of work to find what they're looking for, even discounting the fact that the search and wiki probably give far more information than what any individual could provide. Suggesting that the person search for the answer is not, in my opinion, rude, yet so many people take offense to it. Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he complains about how you're wasting his time and you should just give him a dag blasted fish.
The only time I have seen people actually make responses that I would consider unquestionably rude are when someone asks about running Windows, and I think the reason is pure instinctive defense: the unspoken statement of the question "can it run Windows?" is really "if it can't run Windows, it is inferior". People jump to defend the unspoken attack. That's the only thing I think needs to change here: if someone asks "can it run Windows?" or even "can it run closed source x86 program?", the answer should simply be "no" and let the person walk away unaware; there's no need to try and convince them that they don't need Windows or whatever x86 program they wanted to. Just "no" and walk away. It's their loss if they think it needs to run Windows to be useful or fun.

Very often the "this information can be found in the wiki, etc." posts come with a fair share of acid. If it's said politely people either respond with "I searched but couldn't find" or "thanks!" The rare noob that gets bitchy deserves a little bashing and isnt really worth anyone's defense, but like I said if he gets a bitchy response first he's going to respond in kind and that's the kind of thing that hurts the rep of the community. Every forum since time began has had people that ask questions first and checks the FAQ later. Sometimes they ask questions of live people because they'd like to be able to ask a follow up that might not be cover in the wiki or they just want to engage in conversation in order to work their way into a community.

I'm not saying we should treat everyone with kid gloves, just more than anything take a second to think about what you're about to say to someone before hitting the post button.

But again that's me using common sense on the interwebs again, why do I keep doing that!?

@ WizardStan

I see your point, like what has been said above sometimes people not wanting to be rude are perceived as rude. This is a part of the written word over the spoken word, and the net has just made it worse. A response like this might not be rude but is perceived as rude:

use the search
or
read the wiki
or any other short response. If you spoke that you could make that sound polite but written it might look rude. Even just 'no' and nothing else might seem rude.

I still think the rule of thumb is if you don't want to answer the question don't reply. If you want to answer the question politely and then say 'I'd try the search next time' that would be fine.

I find it funny how sometimes there are multiple posts telling the poster to use search or read the wiki and then someone answers anyway. If the earlier posters wouldn't have posted and the person that answers posted first do you see how it might make the Pandora community look like we want to help?

It just worries me how in every news story about the Pandora there is always the outsider pointing out that the Pandora community are dicks and then someone often proves their point by saying something like 'learn to read stickies and wikis'. Not good for a small community.

Just answer the question and then tell them how to find stuff in the future. If the same person keeps asking and obviously not searching at all then ask them why they aren't searching like you or others have pointed out. It could be something like a language barrier or something.

Oh wow. Let me clarify the statement I made earlier that derailed this thing.

I'm not particularly afraid of all of the incoming noobs themselves. I can quite happily answer questions politely. But what about swamping?

I guess the thing that I'm the most worried about is that we'll lose our culture. Our interesting discussions, the always-familiar names and faces, the sudden and unexpected track-switch of a thread to tech-speak (curtesy of Exo- bless him :lol:)... don't you think that these could all be lost among the masses?

I know we're all going to stick around. But will we still be able to see each other?

Probably not going to be around much. Maybe I'll stick to the developer's section as I continue work on my game, provided the OP team get those promised resources and tutorials out. The poll/port/pup threads in general and lack of clean-up really turned me off.

Back