Where Is The Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIVX have now put a stop on the code, more work to be done.
Care to explain how this works?

I don't understand what the hell is going on here. Did DignSys just randomly throw bits of source code into a big boiling pot without checking at any stage that they were actually allowed to sell the result?

As for finding DivX source in the Kernel...... :blink:

I feel very sorry for you Cragix, this is one hell of a difficult situation you've found yourself in. I hope you can get it all sorted out and save GPH from themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
We pay $2 per unit to use DIVX, but it seems the way it is included in the source means it needs to be removed before it can be released. (this is part of Mplayer).

We pay $2 per unit to use DIVX, but it seems the way it is included in the source means it needs to be removed before it can be released. (this is part of Mplayer).

Oh man, let GPH know for next time that they should just leave their players codecless. Considering that the target market is pretty much all homebrew/hacker boosters, the customer can acquire codecs the same way he acquires ROMS (i.e. Through legal fair use of his spare DivX license, JAMMA boards and cartridges :rolleyes: ). $2/unit manufacturing would be far better spent on hardware fixes.

i think i read somewhere from some informative guy saying the new firmware will be out this friday..so lets hope..

That's ridiculous. Why would they be modifying the code for the CODEC? Remember, they don't have to release a full source tree of mplayer, just a diff patch of their mods. If DivX has patent issues with mplayer, that should not affect such a diff release. You would think that their mods would center around the existing ARM code in mplayer, and video output drivers for the hardware. The codec should have nothing to do with this. What the hell did they do?

Excuse me if I'm having a harder and harder time believing that you were "days away from sorting everything out" before the slashdotting ruined everything.

I'm glad that they're working on the code, and that (I guess) Magiceye actually let them use their code to access the chips, which is why I'm assuming they needed their approval to let some of their code go through. This is incredibly good news that they're actively trying to get the source available. Too bad about DivX being closed-source though. By not including that as part of their source, does that, at all modify the mplayer source, and in doing so, is that illegal? I wouldn't assume so, but...

I thought mplayer didn't bundle DivX into their program... Hmmm.

I thought mplayer didn't bundle DivX into their program... Hmmm.

As far as I know, mplayer uses libavcodec by default, so unless you specifically *want* to use (and presumably pay for) DivX instead, that's what you'd use. Very strange.

Especially since XviD has better picture quality and compression AND is also GPLed.

Looks like GPH made some weird design choices. :huh:
Well, as you can see by this topic, GPH and GPL, though sharing two letters, do not mix.

WTF has divx to do with the kenel its a codec. I call liar.

Do you want the whole sources or just the 'Kenel'?

FFS I just can't be arsed anymore. Go get the source yourself.

dog kenel?
ROFL

Dont worry Craigix, dont let the badgering of people here bother you. If you've ever seen "Anger Managment", "Goooooossseeee Frrraaaabaaaa"

Especially since XviD has better picture quality and compression AND is also GPLed.

Looks like GPH made some weird design choices. :huh:

From a marketing point of view divx is probably pretty attractive. Especially to the crowd that just downloads everything already compressed. There is a lot of divx content out there.

Sometimes I get the impresssion the whole open linux handheld thing is more wishfull thinkging by the distributers and community than GPHs vision for the product.

<RANT>

WTF has divx to do with the kenel its a codec. I call liar.

Er... MPlayer source? You DO want to see Mplayer source, right? So people know how to use the video decoder on the second core?

Honestly. Knee jerk reactions. Patience is a virtue! They're working as hard as they can and all you can do is call them liars.

GPH will release the source - "LIARS! WE MUST SUE!"
GPH doesn't make the source - "LIARS! THEY'RE GUILTY! SUE THEM!"
DignSys are trying to sort everything out - "LIARS! THEY'LL NEVER RELEASE IT! SUE THEM!"
Stop it already - "LIARS! WE MUST EMAIL THEM ANGRILY! AND THEN SUE THEM!"
Dude, it's our only hope for a good homebrew console. - "LIARS! RESPEC' THE GPL! SUE THEM!"
Now look what you've done. DignSys are going all recluse. - "LIARS! MORE ANGRY EMAILS AND LAWSUITS! SUE THEM!"
You make GPH cry. - "LIARS! GPH IS A THIEF! SUE THEM!"

That's a point. I bet at least some of you emailed her demanding the source. Poor Anna. =(

God damnit. I'm sick of everyone being so god damned cynical. Screw you and your GPL! Half of you don't even think twice about downloading ROMS! POOR F*ING PROGRAMMERS WHO WORKED HARD ON THAT! You want everything, don't you? The ability to break the law for your own ends, and the ability to punish someone else for doing the same thing! ARGH!*

Will everyone just SHUT UP about the damned source and WAIT for it? YOU MAKE EVERYONE CRY. It'll all go belly up if everyone doesn't wait for it. DignSys will cease ties with GPH because it's easier, GPH will collapse through lack of contractual agreement, the GP2x will fall. And for what? A principal? Better emulators?

Now, everyone just stop being so petty and alarmist. We'll get the source soon enough.

*Disclaimer: Don't flame me, it's a valid point. ROMs are code distributed without permission. So is the firmware. So illegal firmware playing illegal roms?

</RANT>

Yay! Calm again! I'm just stating my opinion. I too, would like to see the source, but not RIGHT away. I can wait for them to clean it up. =3 Also, DivX playing abilities rock. Sure beats the iPod.

Gotta love those Koreans.

From a marketing point of view divx is probably pretty attractive. Especially to the crowd that just downloads everything already compressed. There is a lot of divx content out there.

DivX is pretty worthless under Linux anyway, libavcodec handles decoding for MPEG4 encoded files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back