Where Is The Kernel Source For Firmware 1.1.0 ?

I appreciate your position, WarmFluffy.. I hope you will see the fruits of this labor in the near future. It sure would be nice to have gadget_ether so we can get some real coding/debugging sessions going on the Wiz.

Exophase said:
AMADEUS said:
Now this might have been a one off, i've only had this thing a while but it worries me to see this.

Unfortunately not a one off, the exact same thing happened with GP2X.

Ah... so not a one off. How long did it take to get the GP2X source in the end?

AMADEUS said:
On a side note, what are the chances of a total firmware replacement that has nothing to do with GPH?

Pretty good since it happened with GP2X in the form of Open2x. The only thing is that it took forever to come out, and they did eventually have the source as a reference. We DO have some version of the Linux source but it's out of date. None of this was released directly by GPH on their website or anything like that.

Open2x sounds exactly like what we need. If this only realisticly possible with the sources then?
I have no idea what kind of work is involved in creating something like this btw.

Pickle said:
I guess ive never understood why when they do a firmware release they publish the source along with it. Whats there to hide?
If there is something to hide we can only speculate but it could be something other than GPL. They don't make a secret of it after all.
Maybe some kind of unlicensed use of licensed drivers?

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Well I have had a quick chat to GPH again and their firmware engineer is currently improving the the code, and will release it as soon as they are happy with it. i.e. it's still work in progress and unfortunately with all the other development going on they don't have a set timescale :(

Well they need to know that is illegal.

Plus their "improvements" are usually pure shit. Just look at the last FW release, it slowed down everything due to their inept attempt at changing refresh rate or something. Their "solution" for screen tearing was to just make the system unusably slow. If they released the source things could be improved and they wouldn't have to "improve" anything, and I wish they wouldn't.

Leave that stuff to guys like Notaz, Exophase etc. They really know what they are doing and would produce a much better solution than GPH will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back