Which Browser

Prometheus said:
Regarding Firefox add-ons, I wouldn't dream of being without NoScript, Flashblock, and Adblock on any of my machines (none of which run Windows, as an aside). I just stick to the old adage of "Better safe than sorry", as being complacent about security is daft, in my book. :p

I like to live life on the wild side. :p

(j/k - I use a locked down browser/profile for websites I don't recognize)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Regarding Firefox add-ons, I wouldn't dream of being without NoScript, Flashblock, and Adblock on any of my machines (none of which run Windows, as an aside). I just stick to the old adage of "Better safe than sorry", as being complacent about security is daft, in my book. :p
You forgot to mention your tin-foil hat! ;)

I'm getting a deja vu that that I was reading about viruses just a minute ago from another thread ... Doesn't take long for a thread to derail in these forums does it? :p

Gary13579 said:
musicalwoods said:
FastestFox (Loads next page after reading 2/3rd of the one you are on (Seamless GP32X threads and Google searches)

Precaching is a nasty and stupid technology. It wastes bandwidth and breaks shit left and right. Not to mention, it shouldn't even work on gp32x. If it does, you have some *serious* issues ahead.

What is wrong with this?

Untitled.jpg

It only works on whitelisted sites and specific types of webhosting software, like the software behind the GP32X forum. You hit the end of the page and it loads the next page or the next thread below it. The only error I've ever seen with this add-on is an occasional 404. Memory usage isn't anything noticeably higher than standard browsing.

As for bandwidth, I'm an American with an uncapped network connection. I waste more bandwidth downloading Linux ISOs than I ever will with basic websites.

I use Firefox daily.

However, I would use Opera because I actually prefer many things in Opera to Firefox, except that I'm annoyed by two things about it:

1. The page scrolls down too quickly when I use my mouse wheel
2. If I flick my mouse all the way to the right edge of my window, I can't click on the scroll wheel. There's a 1-pixel border on the right edge of the Opera window

That's IT. If there were a way to fix those 2 things, I'd probably use Opera and not look back.

The obvious choice is Chromium. Linux Firefox runs like molasses on my 3GHz, 3GB RAM computer, I don't even want to imagine what it'd be like on the Pandora.

The addons I use are Web-Developer, and Wired-Marker (synced up with DropBox so I have my bookmarks available from any computer)

Interesting reading.
I used to mess with plugins/extensions with firefox but stopped along time ago. Maybe I need to look at them again.
Nowadays I usually use chrome.
So all the stuff you lot are talking about, sounds good and all but does that actually mean your gonna be running all that on the Pand?

I doubt I'd install web developer on the Pand, but will probably use weird marker.

WebKit has a built-in inspector that is about as powerful as Web Developer + Firebug combined:

Pretty nifty, and no need for plugins that slow things down or make things inaccurate!

Na-Noo said:
So all the stuff you lot are talking about, sounds good and all but does that actually mean your gonna be running all that on the Pand?
I'll be running most of the ones I use. Adblock, Google Toolbar, Grab and Drag, Flashblock, Menu Editor, Tab Kit, and Update Scanner are all gonna be installed on mine. If it runs fine with all of the ones I use, I'll run them all.

Excuse me, but I did noticed that you guys are discussing the firefox addons...

BUT... Aren't those x86-specific ? I mean, Fennec is on it's way for the ARM devices, with ARM-Enabled addons...

Or perhaps the Firefox addons are not limited for processors? Maybe they come in an specific language and are just compiled?
Can someone explain this, please?

Near-kun said:
Or perhaps the Firefox addons are not limited for processors? Maybe they come in an specific language and are just compiled?
Can someone explain this, please?
Firefox addons are written using Javascript and XUL, the xulrunner markup. In other words: they are made out of plain text, kinda like web pages are, and thus they are very cross-platform. No need to "compile" nything

Slightly OT; does anybody know if there are any firefox / thunderbird extensions designed to automatically exit the application if unused for a specific amount of time?

my browser of choice will probably be midori, but who can tell that, yet? I'll compare some browsers as soon as I get my pandora and will probably repeat that from time to time.

conso said:
my browser of choice will probably be midori, but who can tell that, yet? I'll compare some browsers as soon as I get my pandora and will probably repeat that from time to time.

Considering both are WebKit based, I think Chromium would be better off than Midori. Midori uses C/C++ based plugins, right? Which means no cross compat. Chrome, however, uses javascript plugins (IIRC) which allows for much larger support.

To me, Opera is the best browser. It's very fast even on slow computers and slow connections and still has all the useful stuff like email, ad blocking, spell check, mouse gestures, RSS, IRC, etc. You don't have to bother with searching for plugins because it's all there in the standard installation.

Gary13579 said:
conso said:

Considering both are WebKit based, I think Chromium would be better off than Midori. Midori uses C/C++ based plugins, right? Which means no cross compat. Chrome, however, uses javascript plugins (IIRC) which allows for much larger support.
Chrome uses Javascript plugins, yes. However, Midori is slightly faster than Chromium, as can be seen in my benchmarks here:
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=22Ac

EDIT: It's not a reason for not using Chromium however; Chromium has much more features...

Personally, I have trouble getting excited about Chrome because they've gone what, 3 official Windows versions and still don't have a release version for Linux yet, even though it was planned from the start of the project? And Chrome 4 is already in beta.

Wheels said:
Personally, I have trouble getting excited about Chrome because they've gone what, 3 official Windows versions and still don't have a release version for Linux yet, even though it was planned from the start of the project? And Chrome 4 is already in beta.
What.... Thought they had released one, is there a beta one available and how does it stack up?

Back