The best web browser?

I find myself using Arora a lot simply because it seems to be compatible and work well on the Pandora, as I've had issues with many of the other web browsers (dialogue boxes that go way off the screen so you have to tab your way to the end and hope you hit ok instead of cancel.) It could definitely use some improvement, but it holds up surprisingly well. The only other browser that I really like is lightweight2, though the interface isn't exactly intuitive starting out. Fennec runs well but its lack of configurability irks me.

As for the Opera Mini question a few pages back- there are 2 different versions of Opera for cell phones, Mini, and Mobile. As I understand it Mini does a better job formatting text for small screens, but does this by farming out much of that processing to external Opera servers which process and stream the data for you, and most people I've talked to don't like it. Opera Mobile is the mobile web browser that I have on my current phone, and I think it's a good compromise between a full fledged and mobile browser, with the ability to scroll the screen like Fennec, but with more configuration options. I guess in a nutshell it's sort of like what Fennec would be if it were more stylus driven.

I played around with some debian libs and got the version of midori on NAND to run without rendering errors. Will upload a PND a little later.

I played around with some debian libs and got the version of midori on NAND to run without rendering errors. Will upload a PND a little later.
Good one - thanks very much. :D

If not for the instability and problems with the version currently on the NAND, I would have quite liked to use Midori regularly. I guess now I'll be able to. :)

Well, it's still the same version of midori as on the NAND, I just did some overriding of some of its dependencies.

1bacf.png

Hey, if it fixes the rendering problems it's automatically much better. :lol: Is it as crash-happy, out of curiousity?

it seems pretty stable, but there is some sites that will either lock it up or make it really slow. This could be because the webkit lib I'm using is a few versions earlier than the one on NAND.

There was quite a lot of dependencies, PND ended up at 17Mo. Will edit this post as soon as I've uploaded it (my server is borken atm.. ;_; )

»» Download ««

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the Opera Mini....
Maybe someone can compile a package, as I was using Opera Mobile 11 on my Nokia N900 which works great. However, it won't be preloaded because its closed source.

Obviously, with a touchscreen, its better to include a browser that has touchscreen support (finger scrolling) such as Fennec, but I feel its a bit slow. Right now I am using Firefox with the addon Grab & Drag to enable touch-like support.

If not a touch browser, Chromium is my top choice for its speed and plenty of addons. I do not want to be using Chrome or Chrome OS though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back