Which DE / WM for the next "Y" release ?

Which of the following DE's would you like to see in the next "Y" release ?

• GNOME

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • KDE SC

• CDE

• IRIX Interactive Desktop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xfce

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • EDE

• Etoilé

• LXDE

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Mezzo

• ROX

• UDE

• Unity

• Gnome shell

• KDE Plasma

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No DE !

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Panorama

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

It's sunday, I'm bored, so I thought: "What about a poll ?" ;)

Tell everybody which DE and/or WM you would like to see in the next "Y" release !

The available choices are based loosely on an article I found on Wikipedia, and are certainly not complete.

If your favourite environment is not listed, just write about it in this thread :)

I hope this poll will be useful to the devs, in their work on alternative environments for the Pandora, besides the default Xfce 4.8.

Bye and have fun !

Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, KDE PLEASE!

But in all honestly, I use the MiniMenu for most of the stuff I do on the Pandora. The only time I fire up XFCE is when I need to mess with wireless or something.

I thought anything bigger and heavier then XFCE or LXDE will just slow down the system. KDE or Gnome would make the system too slow, and hog memory, I'm already at 310 MB or ram usage on the Pandora desktop.

I'm for LXDE because of its lightweightedness and maybe plasma because is looks cool with touchscreens, however, panorama is QT based so we can get a fix of smooth/shiny Qt goodness from that.

I my opinion we must make up for having slightly outdated hardware by making the best use of it possible. We can't have better specs but we can have better performance!

I can't vote because whilst Xfce is an option in the first part, Xfwm is absent from the second. :p I don't care for anything heavier than that, even on my main computer with much more "oomph".

I have edited the poll to include your suggestions: No DE, xfwm, panorama :)

EDIT: I have found some interesting stuff about Enlightenment here:

We have run and tested on x86-32, x86-64, Atom, Power-PC, ARM (ARM9, ARM11, Cortex-A8 and more), MIPS, Sparc, and many other architectures. The suggested minimum RAM required for a full Linux system + EFL application is 16MB, but you may be able to get by on 8MB. For full functionality 64MB or more is suggested. As little as a 200Mhz ARM core will provide sufficient processing power (depending on needs).
Evas also handles abstracting the rendering mechanism. With zero changes the same application can move from software to OpenGL rendering, as they all use an abstracted scene graph to describe the world (canvas) to Evas. Evas supports multiple targets, but the most useful are the high-speed software rendering engines and OpenGL (as well as OpenGL-ES 2.0).

Bye, Magic Sam

I would go for a touch-screen loving no compositing DE, but as those don't exist I have to go for XFCE. I use it on my main desktop and it just can't get more comfortable.

EDIT: Although Openbox/Fluxbox might be a good replacement..

I there an easy way of having multiple DEs with a pnd installer or something? e.g. LXDE by default, one easy download of XFCE.

Is that a really stupid question?

I there an easy way of having multiple DEs with a pnd installer or something? e.g. LXDE by default, one easy download of XFCE.

Is that a really stupid question?
But why would you change the existing default? Xfce works very well on the Pandora - why not make it one easy download of LXDE? ;)

@Magic_Sam - Thanks for adding those options! I've voted now.

Some more findings:

LXDE:

Compared with other contemporary modern desktops, the system requirements of LXDE are quite low. A personal computer produced in 1999 can handle it well.
source

XFCE :

Memory footprint

The following memory footprint test was obtained on an OpenSuse 11.4 notebook and this script.

• Runlevel 3 : 33 MiB
  • Login screen with kdm4 (and no opened session) : 115 MiB
  • TWM session : 80 MiB
  • IceWM session : 83 MiB
  • Xfce 4.8 session : 133 MiB
  • KDE 4.6.0 : 280 MiB

source

Bye, Magic Sam

IMHO, the ultimate environment for the Pandora should:

- have a very little memory footprint,

- be OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware accelerated,

- be ARMv7a optimized and run at very low clock speeds,

- make good use of the keyboard, gamepad controls, shoulders and nubs,

- use very little space on NAND / SD,

- have an UI that fits the 800x480 touchscreen well, like a netbook or mobile UI.

Who could be the winner ? ;)

Bye, Magic Sam

IMHO, the ultimate environment for the Pandora should:

- have a very little memory footprint,

- be OpenGL ES 2.0 hardware accelerated,

- be ARMv7a optimized and run at very low clock speeds,

- make good use of the keyboard, gamepad controls, shoulders and nubs,

- use very little space on NAND / SD,

- have an UI that fits the 800x480 touchscreen well, like a netbook or mobile UI.

Who could be the winner ? ;)

Bye, Magic Sam
and be customizable!

But that "ultimate environment" sounds like it would leave out those who use it as a computer. :p My personal experience has been that mobile UIs are mostly horrible, and netbook UIs are not in any way conducive to actually getting anything done. Of course, it could also be that I might be set in my ways. :lol:

I think whoever knows what DE/WM is is a big boy already and can add this stuff to his setup himself and contribute to Pandora repository. Especially if he picks fvwm, which is more a domain specific language for building WMs than a WM. :)

I voted for what I use now on my computers - no DE/fvwm, but it's a setup I can make on my own given that Pandora team is working on drivers, xorg, cross-compiler environment and other essential things without being distracted by adding brazillion DEs to Pandora OS.

I think that an ideal environment would be bases heavily on the traditional 'window manager+panel+icons' approach, but would make allowances for the smallish screen.

e.g. a scrollable array of icons on the desktop background

with a task bar along the bottom

and easily fullscreenable windows

Back