Why Are So Many Selling Their Pandora On Ebay

R.B

Why are so many selling their Pandora on eBay, did they only buy it to make a profit?

They ordered and paid 2 years ago. The priorities of there life might have changed...
B!

2 years of pent-up expectations are easily dashed.

Quit trolling.

I see, right now, one Pandora for sale on ebay.

I don't think he's trolling. Though perhaps the definition of "so many" might need checking. :p

I've seen 6 so far. That's like 1%?

Mine was definitely not bought for profit but it will probably be a nice little reward for the long wait, heh.

Neko said:
I see, right now, one Pandora for sale on ebay.
The fact that previous bids have ended and dissapeared doesn't mean they've never been there in the first place.

Still, I don't think there where more than 30 or so. Count how many are there at the marketplace (plus 5 from jumpman) an perhaps a couple more that didn't get posted here.

Honestly, even if the number is somewhat higher, is still is a good mean out of 800 pandoras shipped.

Keep in mind that after two years of constants delays, people get fed up, people move on, newer toys come out, and what is more, the pandora is not the dream device they thought it would be, specially after so much time waiting.

Heck, of all the people cancelling I would never have thought that borgqueenx would join the group of the fed up from delays, so... yeah, those two years have done a lot of damage to the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people who bought the Pandora seem to have bought it for the wrong reasons. They wanted or expected something like a PSP or NintendoDS or an iPhone.

Some just wanted bragging rights to owning the most powerful handheld but with phones getting more powerful over the last year or so, the Pandora simply didn't cut it for them anymore.

Then there are the one's that saw how much Pandoras were going for on ebay so they sold their first edition Pandora and bought one (or two) from the second batch with the profits.

Some sold it just because they needed the money for something else more important than a hand held games machine :)

Yep, there are various reasons for selling it.
Some bought more to sell them (like jumpman), some see how high the price go and think they can wait a bit more and get a batch 2 unit, some expected something different, some need money.

But about 6 or 7 out of 700 is not really that many ;)

EvilDragon said:
But about 6 or 7 out of 700 is not really that many ;)
Spirit said:
That's like 1%?

This is more worrying than one might expect. Statistics for other devices have shown that direct resells grow exponentially with time[sup][citation needed][/sup], and if we've already reached 1%...

dflemstr said:
This is more worrying than one might expect. Statistics for other devices have shown that direct resells grow exponentially with time[sup][citation needed][/sup], and if we've already reached 1%...
But this is not a standard consumer product of use and throw away when a new one appears (like medium to high end smartphones, tv, computers and the like), this is a niche product with a unique configuration that is not going to be superseded by better product that fills the same gap, in a couple of years, hopefully by OpenPandora themselves.

I mean, where the ebaying practise that bad with the gp32, and the respective gp2x after some time? (genuine
question, I wasn't here)

If anything, GPH encouraged this activity by releasing newer iterations of the same model.

I bet the number of resold pandoras is going to stay a fixed porcentage. That porcentage whose pandora didn't live up to their expectations.
Heck, if Craig & Co manages to keep the dates reasonable, this porcentage might go down as the disgruntled group from delays may dissapear.

Blue Ion said:
I mean, where the ebaying practise that bad with the gp32, and the respective gp2x after some time? (genuine
question, I wasn't here)
I remember quite a few GP2X's being resold but this was mainly due to people not liking the build quality (bad joystick etc.) IIRC.
Not too sure about the GP32 as I wasn't around then myself.

Personally I don't care. Good luck to them. At least they put their money in at the beginning and kept it there allowing this project to happen.

Well, I have followed the Ebay sells very closely, as it's my business after all. ;)

I count 14 units sold(give or take 1 or 2 I may have missed), four of these where my personal extras that I bought to sell, and I know screen text was to small for one user, a few others had an extra unit and saw the prices then decided to sell(or just sold their own, and waiting on batch 2), and of course you have the dislike crowd. I would agree with Ed, the dislikes have been around 6 or 7, and that is a small number out of the overall userbase.

I have many friends who are into the newest and greatest gadgets, and upgrade phones, computers, and sometimes even cars very frequently. If you look on Ebay at any gadgets, handhelds, and the like. You can see many Iphones/ipod, DS, PSP, N900, ect. Devices like these are always past around like baseball cards, someone has gotten tired, another user has just dicovered it, so fourth and so on. This is what makes Ebay great IMO!

So the question of this topic is very misleading, and could be ask of any electronic device on the market. I would never sell my unit, unless it was to get a newer model of the Pandora. It has always been about meeting a demand and need for me, and the Pandora has delivered in spades. The GP2X was awesome, but lacking in many areas, but I only sold mine to get my Pandora. Then I got A Wiz, as I needed something to feel the void while waiting, but it just never really got going in emu's and programs and such, and now we have the Caanoo, and I have my Pandora, so this device is of no interest to me personally.

Many have decided to go with some of the other alternatives on the market, and that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the Pandora, it just says "Differant strokes, for differant folks"! :lol:

Chris

Don't see what difference it makes really, the total number of people with Pandoras stays the same. If anything, the people willing to pay tons of money for one on eBay want it that much more. Much better than people say, blending them.

I see no active Pandora auctions on the US eBay right now and a completed auctions search (I don't know how far back that kind of search goes) shows one Pandora sold from the state of Michigan on 20 Aug (auction #220657007216). It was listed as "used" and sold for $789.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pandora-Open-Handheld-Game-System-GP32x-Wiz-OpenPandora-/220657007216?pt=Video_Games&hash=item33602eba70

There will always be people who buy something and then realise it really isn't what they want or what they expected, especially with a project like this. Out of the first batch, I would expect at least 5% to not like or want the product. Now I ain't good at Math but I reckon that fits!

Back