Why EXACTLY is GameCube emulation so "unachievable"?

While I love this topic and find it entertaining it's dove deep into the offtopic section, which is where I'm moving this thread.

Seeejaaaay my friend you have created a monster of a thread .

Maybe emus still in development but it looks slow right now.
Yes, it is slow, but its a great start.

There are two main bottle necks. 1) The code needs to be improved/furthered/optomised and 2) The hardware: A chromebook isnt exactly the best machine out there.

Chromebook's the best ARM machine out there though, at least until Tegra 4 hits something.

No? My Samsung Galaxy S III is better than a Chromebook. I can run Desktop Debian without any problems.
So? You specifically said hardware here, not OS (and we're happily running standard Linux distros on our Chromebooks too). The Cortex-A15s in Exynos 5250 in Chromebook are stronger than the Cortex-A9s in your Exynos 4412 powered Galaxy S3, and it has much higher memory bandwidth, much faster GPU, etc. Yeah Exynos 4412 has four CPU cores instead of two but that gives you more of an advantage in unrealistic benchmarks than emulators. Sure some emulators can use the multiple cores but they can't sacrifice single threaded performance in the process.

Bottom line: your phone will run this emulator even more slowly than in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont doubt that. I was simply saying that the Chromebook is a bottle neck from a hardware standpoint. If there were ARM chipsets that rivaled legacy x86 hardware, I think the performance would be much improved.

I dont doubt that. I was simply saying that the Chromebook is a bottle neck from a hardware standpoint. If there were ARM chipsets that rivaled legacy x86 hardware, I think the performance would be much improved.
You mean like the chipset in the Chromebook? "Legacy" is a pretty vague word here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back