Why Should We Buy This Gpx2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 03:41 PM said:
...I blame GPH for not making the GP2X a better handheld. I hope you got my point now. If you still don't, oh well, maybe I don't have one...

Skeezix shouldn't have to buy a GPX2, let's get him one!

Let's stop the touchscreen madness. We can start again when we need to make sure that the NEXT GP device has a touchscreen. At this point we can conclude that we have different opinions about the importance of a touchscreen and that they don't matter because the GPX2 is not going to have one.

Well "better handheld" is completely subjective. I blame them for it not being BC and having buttons in the "right" spots, you blame them for not including a TS etc. So my "better handheld" would be different from your "better handheld" The point is they can't please us all. Oh well.

Buying Skeezix one wouldn't mean that he would code for it. If he likes the PSP he will likely stick with that, you would have to ask him. I asked him about incorporating the new cyclone into it on the GP32 and I got the standard "I have no time, I am burned out" response. That would be fine except it seems that he magically has time to do a completely new version from scratch on the PSP and update it every day. So does he go into a time warp when PSP devving where time stands still but not when doing GP32? No, it seems that he will MAKE time for a device that he likes best. He should have said, "I don't have the time for the GP32 anymore because I am bored of it and any free time that I DO have will be used for PSP". That is his choice obviously so I wouldn't assume anything.

Yes we all should stop the TS arguing as you and I have said it don't matter anymore because it is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tengen: Sure I could go and whine somewhere else but there nobody would listen to me... :p
And I'm on the wrong forum?! This forum IS about the XGP! Just this thread is not.
I don't want the priority on the GP2X to be commercial independent games but it will be my priority. It's what I want to see on the device.

@DaveC: "better handheld" is more or less subjective, I agree.
Buying Skeezix one wouldn't mean that he would code for it.
Sure, you can't give developers free devices with the condition that they code for them. I am sure though that many people in the GP32 and Zodiac scene have enjoyed Skeezix' code work and would happily give some money to get him a GP2X.

No touchscreen in this post. B)

"Wrong forum" in that you're looking for PDA style functionality out of a sytem that is essentially NOT a PDA and was never ment to be.

If they said the wanted to make a Dual Screen system that's fine. They didn't, they wanted to make a single screen system that plays videos and can play retro console style games last time I checked I didn't find many that required a touch screen.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
"Wrong forum" in that you're looking for PDA style functionality out of a sytem that is essentially NOT a PDA and was never ment to be.

If they said the wanted to make a Dual Screen system that's fine. They didn't, they wanted to make a single screen system that plays videos and can play retro console style games last time I checked I didn't find many that required a touch screen.

There are other uses for a TS besides PDa stuff. I can see his point, it just adds another layer of functionality. I am not big on them but not really against them either. But again whatever no use fighting about it, it won't change now.

So on with things, about the TS I realize that there is zilch chance now and myself would never use it. But it would be easily possible to make a clear membrane touchpad that overlaied the screen and plugged into extention port or somethng of the type. It would act as a TS as well as a screen protector.

Fuck I would like a handheld to have a concentrated microwave beam like a infred port so I could cook a hot pocket on the go. Shit I would pay and extra $10 :p

gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console gp32_console

But it would be easily possible to make a clear membrane touchpad that overlaied the screen and plugged into extention port or somethng of the type. It would act as a TS as well as a screen protector.
Well, I don't know about the "easily"... :D
Alpha2 posted on Sep 2 2005 at 07:58 PM said:

Well, tengen said that I want to talk about the XGP and that this is the wrong forum for it:
you said earlier that you wanted "indie/commercial games" to have priority on the gp2x? it sounds like you are on the wrong forum. maybe there's an xgp forum out there that you can join. the gp2x isn't about that. from the very beginning it's been about homebrew/emus right?

OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 03:02 PM said:
Well at tengen said that I want to talk about the XGP and that this is the wrong forum for it:
you said earlier that you wanted "indie/commercial games" to have priority on the gp2x? it sounds like you are on the wrong forum. maybe there's an xgp forum out there that you can join. the gp2x isn't about that. from the very beginning it's been about homebrew/emus right?

hmm okay, I guess it was late and I misread, in a sense the point I made was valid but I'll retract it as it was posted out of context.

OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 10:51 AM said:
@tengen: Sure I could go and whine somewhere else but there nobody would listen to me... :p
And I'm on the wrong forum?! This forum IS about the XGP! Just this thread is not.
I don't want the priority on the GP2X to be commercial independent games but it will be my priority. It's what I want to see on the device.

@DaveC: "better handheld" is more or less subjective, I agree.
Buying Skeezix one wouldn't mean that he would code for it.
Sure, you can't give developers free devices with the condition that they code for them. I am sure though that many people in the GP32 and Zodiac scene have enjoyed Skeezix' code work and would happily give some money to get him a GP2X.

No touchscreen in this post. B)

:lol: bad wording. my bad. by that i meant a place/community that supports/backs the xgp. this is why i don't like posting right after waking up :rolleyes:

Hanz™, a PDA without a *cough* (or good keyboard) is about as practical as trying to drink by putting your tongue into the glass, pull it out and swallow the one drop that stays on it. Sorry, couldn't think of a worse analogy, I'm not very creative at the moment. The point is that not everything that is in theory possible is relevant because it might be totally impractical etc.
So lets hope that we get a chatboard (small keyboard normally used for phones) workin on the GP2X, just as we did on the GP32.

Also you should have marked above statement as an opinion since I think touchscreen would add more fun...
You are kidding right, I can't go around marking every statement that is an opinion: an opinion.

You do realize that alot of linux games that could be ported utilize the mouse do you?
Ok, big secret coming up, I am adept at using a D-stick as a mouse, from playing ScummVM on the GP32. It's not that hard once you get used to it - just a little bit slower.
who probably would not have minded a small increase in price for a *cough*...
You kinda contradicted yourself there with the statement above...
I was pointing to a particular group of GP2X users - the non ignorant type...

See, I didn't mention a touchscreen once. Hehehe...
And anyway, as I said before not everybody can get what they want, this was a compromise.
And it's an entirely irrelevant discussion since the GP2X has already had its specs finalised.

And about the lack of a touchscreen makeing all PDA/mouse emulation function "impossible" or difficult...

I can use the existing GP32 as a USB mouse (with sensitivity turned up), and it only has 4 true directionals, it takes me maybe a half a second longer to click something and access something than it would for a mouse or a touchscreen.

The GP2X has 8 directionals.

Ever had a dreamcast? used the web browser? Besides the obvious slowness of the connection you had no problem clicking things and accessing them.

So why on -earth- would it be "impossible" to use for PDA functionality, web browseing (especially with the chatboard) Maybe I couldn't browse a page in 3 seconds faster. But still.

I know I won't be playing a FPS where you can aim your gun seperately, but what's to stop me from playing games like Abuse?

Let me get this straight, are you guys suggesting that a d-pad is almost as efficient as a touch screen when it comes to navigating a cursor?

Never used a dreamcast, i used the xbox for that and I can certainlly tell you it isnt fun nor its easy... And unless your internet connection is slow, the xbox browser is pretty fast... Speaking of xbox, i played scumm with it as well and I can certainly tell you that it is alot more effective to play foatlantis on my ipaq.

"Ok, big secret coming up, I am adept at using a D-stick as a mouse, from playing ScummVM on the GP32. It's not that hard once you get used to it - just a little bit slower."

its true that you can get good at it, but you have to admit it can get annoying at times and it still does require alot of precision and patience.

"So why on -earth- would it be "impossible" to use for PDA functionality, web browseing (especially with the chatboard) Maybe I couldn't browse a page in 3 seconds faster. But still."

I dont recall using the word impossible and I think by quoting your imaginary "impossible" on your own further suggest that even you yourself believe its an exegeration made. Its not just 3 second faster, its the annoyance and the inferior method of navigation that comes along with the package... For example. I've yet to hear people suggest to me that a notebook touchpad is as effective although slower than mouse... have you?

"I know I won't be playing a FPS where you can aim your gun seperately, but what's to stop me from playing games like Abuse?"

And just because you don't play fps, it makes it irrelavant?

Btw, lets have a little more imagination shall we and not limit it to just mouse movement, what about character input? Its great that you could click faster than it loads on your dc... but say you wanna jump into www.gp32x.... Think you could still manage with half a sec slower?

No one said it was impossible... difficult yes. Easy? I really find that hard to believe and I am willing to bet that if there was a poll on this. the outcome is that majority would most definitely favor that it is difficult to navigate.

Edit: Abuse rocks!!!

And just because you don't play fps, it makes it irrelavant?

I didn't even say anything remotely similar to that :huh: I meant that the current setup is impossible to use for most FPS past quake2 but I could use less key/mouse intensive games that require a mouse with the existing setup.

And I would -like- a touchscreen, I'm not saying a d-pad can replace it's functionality for touch keyboards or fast browseing, But it's not really necessary to use it as a jack of all trades device for the same purposes.

Sure I could use apps and browse with a chatboard and d-pad, a touchscreen would be easier, but even without the touchscreen (which is finalized and I will accept) I can still use the unit for a purpose which is beyond it's original intention (Psuedo portable linux PC perhaps?)

I'm not saying a touchscreen is bad or isn't needed for other uses, I'm saying that alot of use (and features beyond it's original purpose) can be squeezed from the device quite easily and in a practical way with the control stick. Which is going to matter most since the design is -finalized- without a touchscreen.

If I could turn my GP2X into a portable linux PC -with- some sort of internet or web browseing ability (even with a slower less effecient way of inputting things, but i'm pretty sure I could use the chatboard with it too.) on top of the fact it can play media, run linux apps, GP2X games (which will probably pop up) then it's still a great deal for under $200

I'm not saying a touchscreen isn't welcome and isn't better, I'm saying that most non-standard uses for the GP2X can be easily done with the hardware as is.

(Still, i'd rather have an 8-way stick emulating a pointer than I would using a cell-phone to web browse, ick!)

Hanz™ posted on Sep 2 2005 at 10:15 PM said:
Also you should have marked above statement as an opinion since I think touchscreen would add more fun...
You are kidding right, I can't go around marking every statement that is an opinion: an opinion.
You can mark things as an opinion by saying "I think that..." instead of making it sound like a fact. It makes discussion much more friendly because some of the most stupid arguing can then be left out. ;)

There is no need to mark things as opinion (although many times people do) because everything that comes out of someones mouth should be considered an opinion until it is proven beyond a doubt and I doubt that 75% of what has been said has had any hard evidence behind it, that is what makes this argument continue for so long: it is all based on opinions. Us, having come from the gp32, love that the gp2x is like a more powerful gp32, OrR, having come from the zodiac, wants a touchscreen because thats what he's used to. Theres no right or wrong on which is better. Sure, I would like a touchscreen, but I don't want the price raised too much, I don't know how touch screens work exactly because I have never taken one apart, but I am sure it would make it impossible to install a glass screen (which those who don't have gp32's probably don't know about) which is a feature that many of us are already planning on adding because it makes the screen sratch proof, easy to clean, and so much clearer.

OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 11:30 PM said:
You can mark things as an opinion by saying "I think that..." instead of making it sound like a fact. It makes discussion much more friendly because some of the most stupid arguing can then be left out. ;)
Hypocrite... :lol:

Hanz™ posted on Sep 3 2005 at 12:10 AM said:
OrR posted on Sep 2 2005 at 11:30 PM said:
Hypocrite... :lol:

In OrR's own words, more correct sentance would be:

I think you can mark things as an opinion by saying "I think that..." instead of making it sound like a fact. I think It makes discussion much more friendly because some of the most stupid arguing can then be left out, I think ;)

Pun intended. :D

YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWNN. You guys still going at it? Talk about beating the proverbial dead horse.

My "opinion" is that you all should give it a rest. I am tired of reading about the pros and cons of touchscreens already.

The hardware is final and won't change and that is NOT an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back