Why So Little Demo Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdremel

Website
Visit site
I have been following the Pandora development with great anticipation, but for some reason, I find that the demo material provided on openpandora.org and youtube a little thin.

There are some demo's of what is being said is a pandora playing some psx games. A demo of the LCD and another demo that doesn't really show a true rolling demo of the system.

I would really like to see a demo as seen for the gp2x. Someone holding the device while it plays, or an angle view with a mounted setup of the whole system. In my opinion, it would make the device more real to people who are still having doubts about the system.

I'm not trying to flame anything or anyone, but it would be really nice to really see the whole device in action, rather then seeing an lcd (which could be any device with an lcd), or a setup with just some screenshots/pictures playing on the device.

Since the first MK0 boards have just been shipped to some devs (still without casing), there's not yet a unit with which you could make the demos showing somebody playing it yet... so... does that answer your question?

EvilDragon said:
Since the first MK0 boards have just been shipped to some devs (still without casing), there's not yet a unit with which you could make the demos showing somebody playing it yet... so... does that answer your question?

Well....sort of. I have seen that LCD demo, which shows the components together, but isn't really impressive. If there would be something like that, but with some real material (early emulators, gui, etc.) then that would be a lot better to look at then just some screenshots or random pictures.

I do understand that there aren't any production cases with controls and all that yet.

I am just really curious about the possibilities of this device. Again....no flame intended, but can't wait to see what this baby can do....

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see the full speed unoptimised playstation emulator video? That was impressive, but you're right, it kinda stopped after that.

I was expecting something new and exciting everyday after that, like when Zodtt was in full swing on psx4gp2x. Along with news on the GUI and SDL.

True... IIRC Zod bought a videocam, and was going to do some videos with it. Been a while, but hopefully we'll see more soon.

Having said that, I think this thread does hold some validity, because people are frustrated waiting for Pandora's release, and videos and/or other specific feedback would help alleviate some of that.

ha ha, I'm not just picking on poor old Zod. Just as for the bunch of people working on the Pandora but not really saying much. I don't mind the technical details, it would be really interesting.

But if there is like an iron curtain or something for comerical reasons, than so be it. It would be nice just to know, so we don't all panic and imagine that nothing much is happening.

icurafu said:
ha ha, I'm not just picking on poor old Zod. Just as for the bunch of people working on the Pandora but not really saying much. I don't mind the technical details, it would be really interesting.

But if there is like an iron curtain or something for comerical reasons, than so be it. It would be nice just to know, so we don't all panic and imagine that nothing much is happening.
No news is good news? ;)

Sure I would like to see some cool features and so on but I would rather that the devs spent their time on actually finishing it than making cool demos ever few minutes ^^
And if you're actively working on something you might not want to go off half-cocked and make people panic more because some might not understand that it's just a work in progress, also if you work hard on something you like doing then (at least for me) you sit down in front of the computer / project on your spare time (guessing most of the devs have other real jobs/families etc as well) and poof it's the middle of the night and you have to get up in a few hours to go to work and then you don't really feel like speing another 30-60minutes fixing a demo.

One thing that I've noticed (feels that way anyhow) is that the devs that are listed are posting much less then they have been, this in my mind means that they are in full gear working on the Pandora instead of trolling the boards for confirmation on how 1337 they are :)

just my $0.02 :ph34r:

We are VERY busy right now.

You will see loads of youtube stuff on real pandoras in July for the build up to preordering.

craigix said:

You will see loads of youtube stuff on real pandoras in July for the build up to preordering.
Nice to hear. Good luck and looking forward to the unveiling :)

I wonder how much the USB controller bugs have hosed up Pandora's schedule? Considering the beagleboard guys are saying November before they deliver a board with a fixed EHCI USB controller that's GOT to be devastating.

craigix said:

Great news, Craig. :D But when you say "real Pandoras", do you mean completed MK0 dev units or actual MK1 consumer-ready units?

CronoTriggerfan said:
craigix said:

Great news, Craig. :D But when you say "real Pandoras", do you mean completed MK0 dev units or actual MK1 consumer-ready units?

My god I hope it's mk1s....

babamthegrunt said:
My god I hope it's mk1s....
I don' think those are yet there- in reality, a MK0 demo would probably good enough; one's more of a production prototype than anything else. A MK1 would be a production model and that's not started yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back