Why So Little Demo Material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Svartalf said:
babamthegrunt said:
My god I hope it's mk1s....
I don' think those are yet there- in reality, a MK0 demo would probably good enough; one's more of a production prototype than anything else. A MK1 would be a production model and that's not started yet.

True, but he speaks of about month till release, he could have some MK1's made by then; and that of course would be FUCKING AWESOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
We are VERY busy right now.

You will see loads of youtube stuff on real pandoras in July for the build up to preordering.
Let the pant-soiling begin. I almost started a little too early. ;)

babamthegrunt said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
craigix said:
We are VERY busy right now.

You will see loads of youtube stuff on real pandoras in July for the build up to preordering.
Great news, Craig. :D But when you say "real Pandoras", do you mean completed MK0 dev units or actual MK1 consumer-ready units?

My god I hope it's mk1s....

IT would seem that when A dev comes in a thread, posts once, the magic ends. We may never know.

lol....a full month after I started this thread and there is nothing new to report. There was a topic about the gp2x being dead, but I rather think that Pandora has died.

that video still shows nothing but a board with a screen attached to it, playing a very similar demo that we were shown playing about 3 months ago. :(
maybe i only speak for myself but with pre-orders due to be opening in around a month, itd be nice to see an actual pandora rather than just a printed circuit board and a screen.

some gui shots wouldnt do any harm either.
maybe its just me but i feel like were being kept in the dark a bit,
and if we're not then it seems like the device could be a lot further away from completion than previously thought.

gibberish said:
that video still shows nothing but a board with a screen attached to it, playing a very similar demo that we were shown playing about 3 months ago. :(
What's wrong with that? It proves the project is still alive and still going.
You guys are hassling the poor guy for more and more, and when he gives you something it's not good enough.

EDIT: Joppu

PlopperZ said:
gibberish said:
You guys are hassling the poor guy for more and more, and when he gives you something it's not good enough.

Maybe he was just saying, that we had Pix+Videos of a PCB and a LCD running something months ago, so the Video doesn't actualy show something new.
Some People (like me) just want to see a Pic or Video of an assembled PCB with Controlls onto it and someone wo plays straight with the Pandora Controlls. After Months over Months at least the D-Pad and Action Buttons should work, right? ;)

fusion_power said:
PlopperZ said:
gibberish said:

Maybe he was just saying, that we had Pix+Videos of a PCB and a LCD running something months ago, so the Video doesn't actualy show something new.
Some People (like me) just want to see a Pic or Video of an assembled PCB with Controlls onto it and someone wo plays straight with the Pandora Controlls. After Months over Months at least the D-Pad and Action Buttons should work, right? ;)

Sorry, my post was a bit rude.
I agree with you, I'd like to see new things as much anyone.
What I was trying to say is that if I were Craig (or Zod, or whoever made the video) I'd be a bit pissed off if people were bugging me and bugging me for new stuff, and when I did end up making a video, people were unhappy with it. Especially since I would be doing it on my own free time that I would otherwise spend drinking or sleeping (or whatever it is you important people do).
Now, I really shouldn't be commenting because, I'll admit, I haven't seen either video :unsure: due to my computer being a PoS (less vids, more pics Craig! :D ). So I can't compare.

mrdremel said:
lol....a full month after I started this thread and there is nothing new to report. There was a topic about the gp2x being dead, but I rather think that Pandora has died.
You're right. It's all a clever trick. Good on you for seeing through the lie that is Pandora.

Seriously, this is just an example of how most people have no experience with product design or manufacturing and don't bother to apply a little common sense to the information that has been provided. Until the electronic hardware is 100% finished, there's little else you can do with manufacturing the controls or shell. As Craig informed us a few days ago, the analog controls are being custom made, and their dimensions and locations are slightly different than the original plan. Had they gone ahead and made cases based on the old layout, they'd be out tens of thousands of dollars now as the cases would have to be re-cast. They've said several times that the case will be the absolutely last thing to get made.

Similarly, the d-pad and buttons rely on silicone membranes which must be made exactly to the layout. You certainly wouldn't want to order them until you were 100% certain the layout wasn't going to change. The layout has changed slightly at least a couple times now to accommodate a new wifi chip and new analog pads. It may get tweaked farther before it is finalized based on the dev boards. These changes probably would have been made already if not for the month or so delay caused by the boards that were wrecked in shipping.

As for the UI, there are several reasons why it's not been demoed. They could still be working on the firmware, changes to which would affect how the UI operates. They could be waiting on libraries like SDL to get a stable port. It could be that due to the broken-board delay, the dev signed up to make the UI doesn't have a board to test it on yet. It could be that the UI is done and they're just keeping it under wraps to annoy the impatient children who think they're somehow entitled to constant updates.

OK, it's probably not that last one, but it would damn well serve you right.

All of these delays and "issues" are perfectly normal for product development. There are always delays and setbacks and conflicts and last-minute changes. Nobody realizes this though because normally product development is done in private. Everything has to be done in a specific order, and sometimes component A, B, and C have to wait until component D is sorted out. This makes it look like nothing is happening, when in reality people are hard at work on D. When D is finished, A, B, C and the whole rest of the alphabet fall into place and you have a finished product.

So just relax and wait for everything to come together. The people working on this know what they're doing. When there are updates and demos to be shown, they'll show them.

[snip!] ***IN OTHER WORDS - THEY MODDED ME WITHOUT SAYING THEY MODDED ME***

This whole "It's ready when it's ready" crap is getting old. Do you know why these "children" feel entitled to updates? Because without those "whiny brats" - the Pandora will be a money pit.

When anyone makes promises - whether it's Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Craig, Joey Bag O'Donuts, or Jane Doe - People *are* entitled to hold them to it.

Promises like June/July for consumers - promises like "I'll have something to show you on the GUI this week." (which was how many months ago you said that, Craig?) - promises like February, then March, then April - and now freaking September...

If you don't want people holding you to your word - then don't say anything. But if you say something and then you fail to deliver - don't get pissed at the people who are upset at you. How dare they expect you to do what you said you would do!

And, Chip, btw - a monthly heads up is a far cry from "Constant updates". How long does it take to type out two paragraphs, or talk for a minute into your webcam, about what you've been doing for the past two weeks? Nobody has even updated the website in forever - it's still promising "soon" some kind of information for the Press - and is bragging about how in a few weeks they'll start sending out the developers kits. Really well maintained site, there guys.

Amen Chip.
You are right....
....but mrdrebel´s thoughts also have their right to exist concerning the public relation[although he´s polarizing like hell] .

If they want to sell this product effective they should spread the word and release more information. Especially 2 or 3 months before release. chad78 summarized it quite well.

Patience is a virtue, or to cite Goethe "Nicht Kunst und Wissenschaft allein, Geduld will bei dem Werke sein." ;)
Regards,

shodan

chad78 said:
promises like "I'll have something to show you on the GUI this week." (which was how many months ago you said that, Craig?)
BTW - that was back in May...
craigix said:
Just to let you all know we are watching and reading these threads, I might have something to show you this week.
I guess he did say "might".. :rolleyes:

When something happens, you'll be the first the know about it, m'kay?

There's a lot going on behind the scenes, some of which can't be made public. Stuff could be thrown together for a public demo, but don't you think it's better to take longer and do a thorough proper reliable job instead?

Squidge said:

There's a lot going on behind the scenes, some of which can't be made public. Stuff could be thrown together for a public demo, but don't you think it's better to take longer and do a thorough proper reliable job instead?
/me nodnods... Quite a bit going on behind the scenes, indeed. I'd rather we didn't rush things (Never rush a miracle worker...you get lousy miracles... ;)).

Svartalf said:
/me nodnods... Quite a bit going on behind the scenes, indeed. I'd rather we didn't rush things (Never rush a miracle worker...you get lousy miracles... ;)).
It's nice to be in the loop, he? :)

Squidge said:
So - you're saying there's nothing happening... Great.QUOTE
Stuff could be thrown together for a public demo, but don't you think it's better to take longer and do a thorough proper reliable job instead?
No. No I don't. I'd rather see something thrown together for a public demo than several more months of "it's ready when it's ready"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back