Why This Over Psp And Ds.

Exophase said:
migo said:
I wouldn't be interested in a PSP for official games - I tried Ape Escape at Best Buy, and I went through multiple loading screens just to get started. I can tolerate load times on a home console, but a portable should really be pick up and play.
It's not as if all games have bad loading problems. You can even play games off of a memory stick, both officially and unofficially.

That seriously drives up the price. I alread have 2 SD cards, so no additional investment for me with the Wiz (unless I'm having a brain fart and it doesn't support SD, I'm confident enough that it does that I'm not checking). PSP requires extra investment in the battery, and an extra memory stick, driving the total price near or over $300. I suppose if I'm lucky I can find a friend who could mod it for me, but I'd still need to buy a memory stick of appropriate size so I can store more than 1 game at a time on it.

But yeah, that would solve the load time.

Last edited by a moderator:
migo said:
That seriously drives up the price. I alread have 2 SD cards, so no additional investment for me with the Wiz (unless I'm having a brain fart and it doesn't support SD, I'm confident enough that it does that I'm not checking). PSP requires extra investment in the battery, and an extra memory stick, driving the total price near or over $300. I suppose if I'm lucky I can find a friend who could mod it for me, but I'd still need to buy a memory stick of appropriate size so I can store more than 1 game at a time on it.

But yeah, that would solve the load time.
Why does PSP require an extra investment in a battery but Wiz doesn't, even though at worst PSP's battery life is about the same as Wiz's? And a 4GB memory stick pro duo can be bought for under $30 (as low as $21), PSP is $170... that isn't $300.

I'm telling you anyway, the load time is not that bad on all games.

Exophase said:
Why does PSP require an extra investment in a battery but Wiz doesn't, even though at worst PSP's battery life
Maybe he's talking about Pandora's Battery?

I had this same debate with myself in late '05. GP2X or PSP? In some respects, I kind of feel like I made the wrong choice mainly because I just can not stand the stupid joystick on the GP2X. Action games with a lot of direction changes are extremely difficult to play and not really even any fun because of that. On the other hand, I wanted to support the device that was made for what I wanted to use it for. Plus, there’s a good chance that I wouldn't be here if I had gone with the PSP.

Very exciting times right now. Hopefully, very soon, we'll have two open source handheld devices to play around with. Both of them are easily as good or better (hardware-wise) as the PSP which should make them nice contenders in the realm of homebrew. No more sacrificing power in the name of convenience.

i bought a psp 1000 for 40$ off of ebay, a pandora battery for 7, and a 4gb memory stick for 11$.
Seems a bit cheaper than a wiz IMHO.

waffles said:
i bought a psp 1000 for 40$ off of ebay, a pandora battery for 7, and a 4gb memory stick for 11$.
Sony intends to make most of their money off of game sales. They can afford to sell the PSP at a lower profit margin. These open source consoles are made by small companies that have to make all of their money off of the hardware. That's why it appears to be more expensive. The same thing applies to the home consoles. You can get a 360, PS3* or Wii for $250US. You can't even get a decent netbook for that price. If you want to support the people making devices that do what you want then you'll get a Wiz or Pandora. If you want to save a couple of bucks at the expense of Sony, then go ahead and get a PSP. You're not allowed to complain when you're locked out of your homebrew for six months, though. Sony does have a right to say that you can't use their console in that way despite what a lot of people say.

What about mylo 2 it is Sonys it has WiFi , hotspot in McDonalds,hotels,etc ( I live in Poland so it is less dangerous too me :( :( ) .. And ....... IT SUPPORTS HOMBREWS ( has linux ) .. Nice resolution and many other but the main problem is that it int a game console it's sth like a mobile with out the gsm , Sony says that the WiFi is enought .. ( In my opinion mb it is enought in the UK , Belgium and other rich countries but in main not :( :( )

In my opinion PSP is much beter to play .. The GP2X has some retro games and You can learn more on it becous You can dev for it and it has USB host SDIO .. ( Now I'm thinking could I Blink a led with it .. IF yes I will try to buy one and make a application to control servos with it )

My solution is the best one.

Buy em all! :p

I have a DS and a PSP, and I wouldn't want to be without either one. However, that's ONLY if you have custom firmware and a flash cart, relatively speaking. With those items in tow, the PSP and DS are flowing with goodness of every kind. BUT you have to put the work/money in to get them going properly. Not so hard if you follow directions well.

I'm getting a Pandora, which will likely become THE homebrew/emulation device, as well as a very decent pocket computer. I can see it maybe replacing my PSP almost completely since I mostly play gpSP on PSP anyway (thanks Exophase!). I think my DS will remain in my regular rotation though, since there are so many good DS games. The Wiz is a maybe for me right now, I'll see how things pan out with the Wiz before ponying up extra money. The main reason I like it is the small size, and it's slick looking too.

waffles said:
used items you got at a good price off of ebay don't really count. you'd really have to go off whats currently available new which is the psp 2000 and 3000 ($170). this wiz is just $10 more in that case.

Squidge said:
Exophase said:
Why does PSP require an extra investment in a battery but Wiz doesn't, even though at worst PSP's battery life
Maybe he's talking about Pandora's Battery?
Yep, that's it.

Back