Why Won't It Work?!

Ok, i'm going to buy another card later to see if its that. Thanx for all your help. if i still have probs...I'll be back! :p

Scan your current one for errors first. Bad cards are a little unlikely as things go.

If you do want to get another one to check if its just a dodgy card, get an 8mb or 32mb one, though, since that way if it isn't the problem,. you'll have wasted less money. Well, not wasted, if you get it to work anyway, but certainly spent more than necessary...

I suggest going to another PC without Service Pack 2!! Since I installed that s*** pc-link never worked again. Just hangs / crashes. Or maybe uninstall it altogether

backudog posted on Sep 4 2004 at 09:02 AM said:
Ok, i'm going to buy another card later to see if its that. Thanx for all your help. if i still have probs...I'll be back! :p

It really sounds like the card isn't formatted in FAT12.
Had the same problem once. I fixed it using the GP32s format command...
Maybe, if you have a digital camera, it can format it.

Last edited:
WOOHOO! my digital camera says theres a card error and couldn't format it (or do anything with it)! that must be what the problem was(hopefully). Hey, who would have thought i'd be happy that my card was knackered! Have ordered replacement from ebuyer (£17 for 128mb) as local stores wanted around £40/£45 for the same. will try it when it arrives, fingers crossed! :p

RESULT!! It was a faulty smc, got a new one and it all works fine! Thanx for everyones help!

Service pack 2 is devil spawn. It stops lots of USB devices from working, which includes the GP32 PC-Link, some machines refuse to go on the net anymore, and some no longer bootup !

We tested SP2 when it came out and quickly sent a memo to all staff telling them not to install it and to disable windows update.

Personally, I'm waiting for the service pack to the service pack, and then will wait a few months for the bugs in that to be fixed before installing it.

Back