Why Would You Choose The Gp32ii Over The Psp?

Captainbubby

The other post on the forum XGP vs GPX has sort of become a bit confusing and whatnot. The real thing I'd like to see is people's opinions on whether the PSP emulation scene really is taking off like some claim it is, what appeal would there be in a GP32II over a PSP which also has a load of commercially released games?

Most of us love the GP32 for the emulation and watching movies, the PSP, although not open source, supports this. What advantages would a GP32II have?

I'm not an expert regarding this stuff, but perhaps that's a good thing, seeing as how the average GP32(II) fan would be interested in this topic.

Well, there is one major problem with PSP homebrew:

Sony doesn't want it, and is patching their new Firmwares according to the security holes known that are exploited by crackers. And they are forcing FW updates with new games, so it might happen that you pop in a new game, and bang: homebrew (emus) don't wotk anymore.

As far as I know its not quite as bad as that, the game will warn you it has to update since you need to have AC power so you can ABORT and save your homebrew...

In answer to the question I'd say its really too early to make a decision, as Horscht points out Sony aren't happy about the situation and this is a reason for the updates... however thats not to say people won't find ways round it or crack later firmwares... no one really knows.

However time is not on your side re PSP homebrew as suitable (1.5/1.0) machines are going to become rarer and rarer...

In conclusion no easy answer... aside from.... Buy Both ;) ( and 2 PSP's too )

with the sketchy details, i don't know if i would buy a GP32II, whats the point? PSP can play movies/mp3/emu/homebrew/commercial games/will have a shitload more support.

I can't really see the new Gamepark doing anything more than what the PSP can already do, so unless something really spectacular comes out, i have no plans on purchasing one. I was thinking about it, but then realized. I already own a game machine that will be able to do all the stuff, plus have much better support.

i'd go for the ninja if it actually goes into production. because it's designed by the community for the community.
psp is very tempting with the neogeo emulator tho, but anything that can hit 250mhz(ish) should be able to do it, as the dreamcast can do it no problem.

Jaw posted on Jul 26 2005 at 01:51 PM said:
i'd go for the ninja if it actually goes into production. because it's designed by the community for the community.
psp is very tempting with the neogeo emulator tho, but anything that can hit 250mhz(ish) should be able to do it, as the dreamcast can do it no problem.

I would expect the new GP32II to be able to do Neo Geo emulation fine. Assuming it will have an ARM CPU in it the current Cyclone + DrZ80 ASM cores could be used from DRMD. The Neo has these same CPUs they just run faster so a faster GP32 would likely do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be tempted by the GP32ii simply because I'd rather not support the Sony 'coporate machine'...

I still haven't seen enough reasons to buy a PSP, so for the time being I'm more than happy with the GP32...

Angel posted on Jul 26 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
with the sketchy details, i don't know if i would buy a GP32II, whats the point?  PSP can play movies/mp3/emu/homebrew/commercial games/will have a shitload more support. 

I can't really see the new Gamepark doing anything more than what the PSP can already do, so unless something really spectacular comes out, i have no plans on purchasing one.  I was thinking about it, but then realized.  I already own a game machine that will be able to do all the stuff, plus have much better support.

Well as known the PSP has a lousy aspect ratio for emus resulting in smaller screen area. Then there is the smearing/ghosting LCD and the lousy separated D-pad. The only reason the PSP is good is the fast CPU and that will hopefully be taken care of with the GP32II.

But sisnce we don't really know the specs yet of the GP32 II all of this is guess work. This poll is really pointless until the real specs are known.

- Money/cost (possibly- we don't yet have details)
- Screen ratio/ghosting
- Allegedly backwards compatable
- Allegedly open source (we don't yet know the situation on whether the PSP will actually be cracked properly or not for all firmware)

I already have a psp, it's a great system.
I think I'm interested in the same things others are interested in.
I'm curious to see how the next gp systems are designed, what kind of homebrew they get, what commercial backing they get.
Will the controls be nice?
Will I be worried about scratching up the screen?
Will byulbram be working on games for it? (Her Knights is awsome.)

If it looks appealing, well if either of the new gp's look appealing, I'll likely pick it up if I have the spare cash. Partially I think it's just brand loyalty, as I enjoy my gp32.

Well, why did you buy the GP32 over the GBA? It's not the same exact thing, but the GBA can now pull off movies, play music, run many emulators, and has a relatively large developement and homebrew community. I remember seeing ads for the GP32 which said, "Be alternative." For some reason, that struck a cord, and now I'm a proud owner of a console which no one has ever heard of, and which I love. The GP32 is special because it so exclusive, and the GP32ii (hopefully) will be very much the same.

I'm assuming also that the movies on the GPX2 will be encodable from DVD, whereas with every movie you wanna watch with the PSP, it has to be purchased specifically FOR the PSP on the UMD. That I find rather restricting. I might just want to watch Anime or Newsradio episodes or even Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes.

Or any of the 120 movies I already own on DVD, without buying it again for the PSP.
Some of which are older movies and probably wont be released for the PSP.

And the emulation is important to me.... Commercial games are nice and all, but from the current list of PSP games I've seen for rent across the road, not many of them appeal to me honestly. And a lot of the homebrew games for the GP32 have caught my attention, and the ports of commercial games, like Quake and Doom and others I'm already a really big fan of, so it makes perfect sense to me. *Nod*

Then again, these are just my reasons.

I'd buy the GP32II over the PSP for several reasons. Supposedly it's going to be cheaper than our current GP32(I spent about 250 total on the system, batteries, smart media card, and screen cloth... even though it was about the same as a PSP value pack or whatever it's called in the long run, I still went for the GP32 for the same reasons I'm about to state for buying the GP32II). If that's the case, then it will be much cheaper than a PSP. It's supposed to be the same thing as the GP32 but more powerful and probably with a different type of media storage device this time around, and it's supposed to be backwards compatible. That means we already have an assload of homebrew stuff at our disposal. As soon as the new system is released, all we have to do is buy it and transfer the programs to the new memory card, and we should be good to go. The reason I bought the GP32(and I've said this many times already, you should already know, but i'm gonna bore you to death by saying it again... buwahahaha!) is because it serves a purpose... it does EXACTLY what I've always wanted and expected out of a handheld system. I originally thought that the Nintendo Gameboy was going to allow me to play my favorite NES games when I didn't have access to an NES. There were a few decent ports, but a lot of my favorite games were missing, so I was very dissapointed. The GP32 allows me to do exactly what the gameboy didn't, and the games are actually in color now. In addition to that, it can play many other systems as well... it can even play MP3s, so it replaces my portable CD player, and it can play just about any movie I want to watch on it. I only wanted it as a portable emulation device, but it does so much more. The GP32 is the coolest thing I've ever purchased.

Aside from all that, it's not made by a big popular company. I have absolutely NOTHING against Sony, but I'd sooner support the little guy in practically every situation if the little guy deserves the support. The GP32 is an amazing machine. I'm sure the GP32II will be amazing as well, so it deserves my support much more than the PSP does. I LOVE SONY, don't get me wrong... but the games being made lately are just... bleagh... I hardly pay attention to the current gaming scene at all anymore because most of the games are just a damn graphics/sound quality show. There's hardly ever any decent gameplay or story... they're just not much fun to play anymore. I highly doubt the videogame industry will ever realize this, change their ways, and start making fun games again, or if they do, it will take a long time. So until then, I'll be playing my old favorites on a cool little handheld from Korea. Then we also have the factors that I can't vouche for myself, but I see no reason why anybody, especially people who LIKE SONY would lie about them... like the dead and stuck pixels... okay, not a huge problem, but still, wtf? The ghosting, and the crappy screen ratio... screw widescreen, and screw every other gimmicky BS that's labeled as some kind of awesome technological advancement and pushed on us. The only 2 games that look interesting to me on the PSP right now are the new Twisted Metal game that came out for it and the SOCOM game that's supposed to be coming out eventually. But I don't know how I'm gonna play SOCOM with only 1 analog stick and 2 triggers... Those 2 games aren't enough to warrant buying a PSP as far as I'm concerned. I'm gonna sit back and wait a good long while. Maybe one day the PSP will look good to me, and I'll have money to buy it. Only time will tell, but I highly doubt it.

And of course, the final reason... SONY appears to want to stop at nothing to keep programs that they have nothing to do with from running on their system, which is understandable. But the thing is... that sucks because that means that the people making these programs will have to keep updating every time a new firmware comes out. Somebody's eventually gonna get tired of it and just give up, and that'll probably be the programmers. And then if there's a new game that comes out that you want to play, but it requires a firmware update, and you have homebrew stuff on your system, what are you gonna do? you can't have both... it's either one or the other unless you buy 2 PSPs... screw that, I don't have 500 bucks to spare on a system I don't really even want anyway. With the GP32II, we won't have new commrecial games, but for the reasons I already stated, that's perfectly fine with me. But on the other hand, we also won't have to worry about programs not working because of a firmware update.

Oh yeah, just remembered something... in addition to the fact that GamePark is the little guy and that I like to help out the little guy, there's also the uniqueness factor of the GP32 and the GP32II. Even though it pisses me off how people can't tell the difference between a GBA and a GP32(they look so different... similar layout, but they're easy to tell apart), I smirk every time someone asks me what it is and thinks it's a GBA. Then I tell them what it is, and they're like "woah, that's freakin' cool!" Then I think to myself "buwahaha, that's right, it is cool... and you don't have one. =P!!!" And I like to have rare stuff anyway... so yeah... unless I see some awesome games that I simply can't live without on the PSP, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

the only thing that worries me about the new GP32 is the fact it can't compete with the big guys. Its main purchase base is going to be the Gp32 community. Since the vast majority of gamers do not know about emulation or care about emulation, the people that actually do know and want an emulator are going to want the PSP because it is more well known.

Basically, I hope this system does well and i'm torn if i should buy one if it comes out, I think i'll wait to see what the PSP scene has accomplished. Just because the info is coming in August doesn't mean we will be able to buy it in August. And what is the new GP32 going to offer that the PSP doesn't? And what is the real difference between the new GP32 and the original, Amiga and Neo Geo emu? Sega CD and 32x maybe? GBA? that might be enough for some people, but i think since it is Gamepark you can pretty much forget about commercial stuff, and homebrew would be the only reason for me to get this new GP32.

The only thing the GP32 can't do for me is play SNES a tad bit better. I'm happy with it now, but i'd like to play SNES at full speed with sound. Thats it. I'm not going to buy a new system just for SNES.

In order for this to succeed it will need to appeal to more of an audience than the "emu" audience, and will have to offer something more or better than the PSP.

Magus 86 posted on Jul 26 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
it's supposed to be backwards compatible
Has anyone confirmed this? (in fact where did you hear this? I don't remember seeing any posts about compatability). When I asked Craig about it a while ago he couldn't give me an answer (don't know if that was because he didn't know or it was part of the NDA).

Back