Wifi

tds48

I recall this being an issue weeks ago. I connect fine, then after 10 odd minuted it drops off and I have to reboot the pandora

1) Has this been fixed with Hotfix3? Presume not?

2) Is there anyway to "restart connectivity" without rebooting? Once it drops off it will not accept the network key

many thanks in advance

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
I recall this being an issue weeks ago. I connect fine, then after 10 odd minuted it drops off and I have to reboot the pandora

2) Is there anyway to "restart connectivity" without rebooting? Once it drops off it will not accept the network key

many thanks in advance
The wireless fails randomly for me too, but I don't need to reboot. Unselecting and reselecting "Enable Wireless" from the right-click menu seems to get it going again.

I'm a bit annoyed with this, and haven't seen any improvement from hotfix 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
TheDarkSpectrum48K said:

many thanks in advance
The wireless fails randomly for me too, but I don't need to reboot. Unselecting and reselecting "Enable Wireless" from the right-click menu seems to get it going again.

I'm a bit annoyed with this, and haven't seen any improvement from hotfix 3.

Thanks! At least I dont have to reboot!

This was discussed previously, to no good resolution I believe.

Apparently, Pandora uses NetManager, but NetManager is broken, and we have no idea when it will be fixed.

"Aha!," I hear you cry, "Then why are we using NetManager?"

I believe the answer is that it's nicer than the alternative. They made it sound like it had a worse GUI or something.

Frankly, I will take a worse GUI or none at all, if it means I can actually get a working network connection, but no-one in a position to do anything about it appears to agree with me.

I consider this the most important issue with the Pandora's software right now, and there isn't obviously anything being done about it.

Note: rather than going through the menu commands to reset the wifi, I believe you can go into the shell and do
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/NetManager reset
Still sucks, though.

I have similar problem, but when I toggle wifi (from system submenu) then I often gets prompt for wifi key, even if it is correctly typed. Sometime after another toggle off/on it connects and go well whole evening (sitting nearby router). If I sit on a garden (50m and brick wall between me and router) then I lost connection more frequently and renew it more hardly.

Another (minor) issue is, that wifi LED sometimes not lid. I think that it is after toggling wifi or after low-power mode.

And another (minor) pissing issue ( :) ) is that after restart wifi goes always on - it doesn't remember last state. This is bugging as I must go to menu and disable it every time I start my Pandora. And this is few times per day as I dont like low-power mode and rather do full shut down.

peca said:
And another (minor) pissing issue ( :) ) is that after restart wifi goes always on - it doesn't remember last state. This is bugging as I must go to menu and disable it every time I start my Pandora. And this is few times per day as I dont like low-power mode and rather do full shut down.

It never was supposed to save the last state. BT does that.
If WiFi should be enabled or not can be set in Settings/Startup (included in HotFix 3)

Last edited:
NickLoTurco said:
My LED also doesn't come back on when toggled off-on.....not a huge issue but should work really.
I had a fix for this but I lost it (re-flashed, and forgot to save it first)

Basically, the problem is that the radio defines an event which is expected (in /etc/default/leds) to be phy0radio
If you
Code:
cat /sys/class/leds/pandora::wifi/trigger
then you will see at the end of the line what currently exists.

The /etc/init.d/wl1251-init script tries to re-set the trigger, but does not know that the phy number has changed.

I wasn't sure what level of abstraction that script needs to exist at, possibly something like (not tested)
Code:
phy=(cat /sys/class/leds/pandora::wifi/trigger | sed 's/.*(phy[0-9]*radio)/\1/')
echo $phy > /sys/class/leds/pandora::wifi/trigger
can replace the current loop which reads the defaults.

EvilDragon said:
It never was supposed to save the last state. BT does that.
If WiFi should be enabled or not can be set in Settings/Startup (included in HotFix 3)
Thanks for hit about Settings/Startup. I was look for it before, but miss this "Startup" item somehow. :) Anyway, I like HW switch for radios on my Lenovo.

I must clear that I like Pandora in overall and I'm not a "Such grumbler" when I'm complaining any issues. It is really super device, just need little tweaking and learning :)

I still regard this (wifi going down every ten minutes) as a really major issue. And if there is anything being done about it, I can't find it.

daffy said:
I still regard this (wifi going down every ten minutes) as a really major issue. And if there is anything being done about it, I can't find it.

WiFi going down seems to be a powersaving issue.
Disabling powersaving in the WiFi driver or making a ping to the unit stops it from doing so.

Last edited:
I added a patch http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=144
(goes in /etc/init.d/wl1251-init, without the '+')
Code:
 		for led in /sys/class/leds/* ; do
 			trigger=$(grep "$(basename $led)" /etc/default/leds | grep "phy" | awk '{print $2}')
 			if [ "x$trigger" != "x" ] ; then
+                                trigger=$(cat $led/trigger | sed 's/.*(phy[0-9]*radio).*/\1/')
 				echo "$trigger" > "$led/trigger"
 			fi
 		done

EvilDragon said:
daffy said:

Disabling powersaving in the WiFi driver or making a ping to the unit stops it from doing so.

what chance of having the option to turn it off or at the very least the none power saving version available?
it becomes a touch difficult downloading software thats in the MB's when any pause sees the connection terminated

mosschops said:
EvilDragon said:
daffy said:

what chance of having the option to turn it off or at the very least the none power saving version available?
it becomes a touch difficult downloading software thats in the MB's when any pause sees the connection terminated

Oh, you can do that from the Terminal as a test:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

should do the trick.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
mosschops said:
EvilDragon said:
daffy said:

should do the trick.

aha, cheers ED i will give that a go tonight and see how things go.

[edit] as a side issue, i have just plugged in my USB1.0 NIC via a hub and it works a treat straight off!

Odd. I dont have these wifi issues: Ive been surfing the net everyday for at least an hour most times and never lost the connection. Im on hotfix 3 for what its worth.

EvilDragon said:
mosschops said:
EvilDragon said:
daffy said:

He meant "turn off the power saving which brings wifi down", not "turn off the wifi". Is there a way to turn off the power saving in the wifi driver?

daffy said:
EvilDragon said:

He meant "turn off the power saving which brings wifi down", not "turn off the wifi". Is there a way to turn off the power saving in the wifi driver?
That IS how you turn off power saving.

I presume that doesn't persist between restarts.

Where is a good place to put that so it's run on startup?

Nope. Didn't make a damn bit of difference. Just made the battery go flat at an alarming rate.

Back