Wifi

evening all.

Bit of a linux and terminal newb here.

I am having some issues with the speed of the wi-fi, have tried the whole sudo config thing in terminal and it keeps on telling me that the wlan device does not exist, does the wifi have to be turned on for this script to take effect?

feeling a little silly with this question.

Cheers

Rob

edit: have just answered my own question.

Lesson 1: try before you type :D

Although this is not really helping with the speed of the wifi, getting around 56kbps surfing the web.

I have tried the changing channel.

Any ideas?

Trying different channels: 1, 6, and 11 seem to be well working for most people, or at least one of them.
In a terminal type "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off" to turn off power saving feature. This will draw a little more power but might help give you some extra speed.
Try disabling encryption. Just temporarily to see if it helps or not.
You can actually do a reasonable test of packet loss with the command "sudo ping -f -c 1000 <router-ip>", replacing <router-ip> with your router's ip address. This will ping flood your router with 1000 messages as fast as it can. The hope is that you get at least 990 of them back, if not more. If you get less than 900, then you're Pandora is dropping a lot of packets for some reason. Could be that your router has some kind of anti-flood technique and you'll have to try the test slower: "sudo ping -f -c 1000 -i 0.5 <router-ip>".
So yeah, give those some tries, see if anything gives you a high return on the ping flood.

Hello Mr. Stan

Thanks for the reply, i have checked the wifi networks in my area, unfortunately there are already people using all the channels suggested.

I have tried the ip ping through terminal, but there is no packet loss, and was completed in 7655ms.

I guess it could just be the compatibility issue that seems to be rearing its head. I am using a speedtouch 780 wireless router/modem (or whatever you call the box connected to the wall)

Hopefully we can get a little more compatibility somewhere down the road.

Cheers

Rob

Back