WiiU Club

Wally

I am a banana!
Hello folks,

Considering some of us might have Mario Kart 8 and a Wii U console I think we should have some just for fun competitions here. I've already been thrashed by B-Zar and THB and maybe it's time someone else thrash me :p

The idea of this thread is to encourage people to play some games together for fun :D

My Nintendo ID is Walbert.

Wow, I can play Mario Kart against you guys??

Awesome.

I'm Askarus.

Need to check how I can add you.

Never did this before.

Want to know why I don't like Mario kart that much?

BTW: Mario Kart Online is not pretty nice.

First Place player is nearly immune to items.

Why?

Chance that second Player gets a red shell is pretty low.

2nd Player is the shield of the first one.

He gets the red shells from the 3rd and 4th one (pretty good chance).

If you are 3rd or lower the ones behind you have too much items.

You are the victim of everyone.

It happened to me several times now that I did chase the 1st or 2nd player.

Then a shell or fire flower did hit me.

Before I could start real driving again I got hit by some more stuff.

It's not unlikely you get hit 3 times in a row. and have no chance to get a good place any more.

The first one is pretty save and the ones behind him are killing each other.

I was first and victim now for several times and it was always the same.

The "get hit once and continue racing" style was nearly never present.

It's more "be first and save or now and an item victim".

This game has to do to less with skill but with item luck.

Also the chances are ridiculous.

I did get one green shell on position 11 and a star or once even 3 red shells on 2nd place.

WTF??

EDIT: Put the long blabla into spoiler :) .

EDIT 2: I did send a friend request to everyone who posted his ID here.

Just Friend Request, no Mii Verse (couldn't find out how it works)

I won't have my Wii U for the next days available so if you want to play next week is the time for it.

Hoping to find some potential super Smash Bros. partners :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
DaMummy here. we need to set up a time slot since were all around the globe. Wally B-ZaR and THB were playing at what was 7am for me :{

I just bought Mario Kart yesterday, haven't played it yet and can't remember my ID at the moment (chances are it's Xaeo) but I will update this later.

I've never been too happy being in first place when playing Mario Kart, I've always preferred to be a bruiser cruiser, sitting around 6th place collecting all the deadly items to rain destruction and misery on those ahead of me.

Anywho, I look forward to playing with you all.

-Xaeo

Nah, I play to win and to build up skill.

Plain item bashing is not what I like too much.

ive gotten 3 stars in everything on 50cc & 100cc, and couple 3 stars on 150cc, still waiting to grab any stars in the last two cups on 150cc, and 1200pts in online. ive yet to get all the items in the game :{ always with the coins and bananas. i did once get 4 stars IN A ROW playing online, and i was between 4th and 2nd during those times. go figure

I second the comments... Mario Kart is not a game of skills, most of the time your position is due to PURE LUCK based on what the opponents threw at you and that's it. The first one on Super Famicom was certainly NOT like that, and a very good player could consistently finish first in every single race. On Wii, WiiU, not so much, it's way too random, and I really dislike the fact that the bonus are NOT random at all (first one gets nothing, last one gets everything) - this is a stupid concept.  

BrandonC9001 here. I've also got Monster Hunter.
Awesome.

Let's do some hunting next week :) .

ive gotten 3 stars in everything on 50cc & 100cc, and couple 3 stars on 150cc, still waiting to grab any stars in the last two cups on 150cc, and 1200pts in online. ive yet to get all the items in the game :{ always with the coins and bananas. i did once get 4 stars IN A ROW playing online, and i was between 4th and 2nd during those times. go figure
I have 3 starts on everything (all cups and Mirror) + all items except gold glider (10000 coins) + beaten all time trial ghosts.

Don't care about the last 9 stickers missing.

I second the comments... Mario Kart is not a game of skills, most of the time your position is due to PURE LUCK based on what the opponents threw at you and that's it. The first one on Super Famicom was certainly NOT like that, and a very good player could consistently finish first in every single race. On Wii, WiiU, not so much, it's way too random, and I really dislike the fact that the bonus are NOT random at all (first one gets nothing, last one gets everything) - this is a stupid concept.  
Items are somewhat more random than on the Wii version.

I did get 1/3 green shells on 12th 11th place several times now.

That's bullshit. Even the coin item once.

No MK8 yet.  If I pick it up I will be ready to have my ass handed to me.  I will post my Nintendo ID later.

I think the items are based on how much you are ahead or behind.

At least on online with the ranking for matchups my first matches were very much ping pong... I'd get into the lead and be making a very good distance and then blue shell red shells etc sent me to hell. Now that the ranking has had some time to level out I'm getting paired with similar skilled players and no big distances develop and the items that mess you up seem to happen less frequent... anecdotal of course, but just what I'm noticing.

Also there is skill in how you drive and how you handle your items. (Do you hang onto it, drag it behind, throw it forward, throw it behind, time it to hit someone on the jump, etc)

EDIT: Merged my posts... easier to do on my work PC rather than my mobile.

My Nintendo network ID is Mr_Loon

Still learning the ropes with MK8 I've dabbled with online a bit and have yet to place in the top 3 :(

Looking forward to adding you guys.

Out of curiosity, what free game did you chaps choose when you bought MK8? I went for Pikmin, not played it yet but looking forward to giving it a go when I get a spare hour or two.

I got WindWaker as a freebie. I've already got (and finished) Pikmin 3 (and all the DLC) otherwise that would have been my choice too.

I'm undecided as to which free game to choose...

I would like Zelda, but they have a really good sale right now so I'm tempted to buy zelda and choose a more expensive game for the free one.

I have Monster Hunter U (amazing!!)

I've heard good things about both wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

I really want to try the new super mario bros, but would rather play a more original game/concept

What do you all think about these games?

-Xaeo

Back