WiiU Club

OK. On the friend list I did see that Mr_ Loon was online.

But how do we play Mario Kart together?

Are you aware of any sort of Notification when a friend is online?

Or do you get a notification when you get a message?

Should we all set up a Miiverse?

I wanted to write you (Loon) a message in the Mario Kart menu but the game told me that Miiverse is not set up properly?

Is there no way to see when one of your friends comes online?

I the MK8 main menu there is a "1 player online option", in the following menu you can choose wether you want to play just with some random people or with friends. After that you can create a room, but I never got any further, because:
I think the home light flashes - then you can hit home and then friends list to see what's up....
I tried to send PokeParadox a message the one time I was online and someone else too, but he did not responde it. Which is understandable but never the less sad...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the home light flashes - then you can hit home and then friends list to see what's up....
I tried to send PokeParadox a message the one time I was online and someone else too, but he did not responde it. Which is understandable but never the less sad...

I did do some online Play yesterday :) .

But the whole system is broken!

It is exactly as you say: The blue light flashes when a friend is online.

You will NOT know who comes online.

You will NOT get a notification if one sends you a message.

You are NOT able to open up Mii verse when you are in an online game.

So what the F**k??

To check for messages I have to pause the game and open up Mii verse?

But I can't open up the home menu while playing online.

So Even if I see that a friend is online when I'm already playing with an other one I can't send a message to the new one or read his ones?

What the hell is the Wii U doing with the 1Gb of Ram reserved for system Memory?

I thought you could have Mii verse running all the time (on the gamepad).

If I at least would be able to get a popup window as soon as one writes me a message.

No chance.

Getting more of a notification than the blue home button (I barely see the way I hold my gamepad) would also be nice.

That whole system is so broken.

Will check the system configuration.

Maybe I did disable something.

I the MK8 main menu there is a "1 player online option", in the following menu you can choose wether you want to play just with some random people or with friends. After that you can create a room, but I never got any further, because:
Yes I saw the message a few days later (had a rough weekend) :(
I'm trying to three star the cups so it would be nice if it would show a clear notification on screen.

Nintendo just did not get (or more probable, just ignored) where the market was heading, and just patched something up, in order to at least get a toe into that area. Maybe the successor will have a better system. On a personal note I can only qoute AVGN "what were they thinking???"

Yes I saw the message a few days later (had a rough weekend) :(
Maybe its best to try to make a "date", preferable on the weekend where most people are usually more flexible.

I got Mario Kart 8 everyone! Thank you for all the friend requests, I have in fact accepted them all. Feel free to add me if you like. I will accept all friend requests.

Out of curiosity, what free game did you chaps choose when you bought MK8? I went for Pikmin, not played it yet but looking forward to giving it a go when I get a spare hour or two.
I got Zelda Wind Waker! I haven't played that game yet so I am pretty excited. I always wanted to play it too.

Nintendo just did not get (or more probable, just ignored) where the market was heading, and just patched something up, in order to at least get a toe into that area. Maybe the successor will have a better system. On a personal note I can only qoute AVGN "what were they thinking???"
OK, I didn't find a single option for that.

That's really bad.

It's the first time I noticed the Wii U Chat already built in to the start menu.

Why is this only for voice calls but can't stay opened up during the whole gameplay?

it wouldn't be that hard to make a that sort of features available via a software patch.

Nintendo has been struggling with network integration for over a decade. I can point out several places where they completely failed simply because it's a complete afterthought.

I got Mario Kart 8 everyone! Thank you for all the friend requests, I have in fact accepted them all. Feel free to add me if you like. I will accept all friend requests.

Out of curiosity, what free game did you chaps choose when you bought MK8? I went for Pikmin, not played it yet but looking forward to giving it a go when I get a spare hour or two.
I got Zelda Wind Waker! I haven't played that game yet so I am pretty excited. I always wanted to play it too.
I have had to delay getting MK8 a bit, which is probably a good thing with my current schedule.  I will also be getting Wind Waker, but that wasn't my choice.  I wanted Pikmin or Mario.

Nintendo has been struggling with network integration for over a decade. I can point out several places where they completely failed simply because it's a complete afterthought.
This bugs me.  Nintendo likes to do things a little different, which is nice, and they have done some interesting things in the past.  You would think by now they would have found a simple way to implement online play in a functional way since it is expected at this point.  They have actually been playing around with network connectivity since the 80s.  There was the Famicom Modem, Satellaview, and I think there was something that allowed you to play Pokemon through a cellular network in Japan, but I can't remember the name or find details atm.  How long does it take to get online play right?

Well if you play globally you might automatically race as they do automatically try and include your friends in your online races if you do happen to be connected at the same time (I've got a win against Branden but was just playing random online worldwide matches)

But yeah they are still playing catchup, hope they will improve the online a little more.

Well if you play globally you might automatically race as they do automatically try and include your friends in your online races if you do happen to be connected at the same time (I've got a win against Branden but was just playing random online worldwide matches)

But yeah they are still playing catchup, hope they will improve the online a little more.
But you didn't get any notification that I did send you a test message while you were online, right?

I would like to be able to open up a room and invite friends who are online at the moment.

Right... I got a notification but I had to figuree out what the notification was... I didn't see Miiverse flash and just saw you and a couple of other were online. I tried to start a race and invite... but nope. Then I saw the actual message this morning... :S

Right... I got a notification but I had to figuree out what the notification was... I didn't see Miiverse flash and just saw you and a couple of other were online. I tried to start a race and invite... but nope. Then I saw the actual message this morning... :S
Good to know that you at least did get some sort of Notification.

The whole problem here is I can't run Miiverse and play online at the same time.

If there would be a miiverse chat somewhere on the touchscreen I could see new messages right when I get them.

And no, I don't quit online play just because the home button flashes.

It also flashes when one goes. Then I have to connect again (and watch others until they have finished) for nothing)

this is why i say, lets just set up a time and date for as many people to go on, just for the reason that we race some matches together

this is why i say, lets just set up a time and date for as many people to go on, just for the reason that we race some matches together
Currently I don't have the game, however this seems like the best bet to get the most people together.  Just pick a day that many people have off (maybe Saturday) and pick a time, and another time later for the people who are in other parts of the world (maybe 0100 GMT and 1300 GMT).

With all the polls I have seen here that kinda seem pointless this seems like a time when one would be useful.  Allow everyone to pick days and times that are best for them and schedule races at those times.

All cups on MK8 are 3star complete. I formally present a challenge to the people of OP boards. 

Back