Wikipad quad core tegra 3 $199 tablet

$499, is about averaqe for the specs you are getting ie Tegra 3, 10.1" inch capacitive screen etc etc.

Problem for this is that they started off saying it would be $199 (with lesser specs - 7" screen) which has now blown out 150 percent to $499. Even thought the price is in the ballpark for this type speced device , if you followed there marketing releases and proposed pricing , youd be pretty annoyed .

$499, is about averaqe for the specs you are getting ie Tegra 3, 10.1" inch capacitive screen etc etc.

Problem for this is that they started off saying it would be $199 (with lesser specs - 7" screen) which has now blown out 150 percent to $499. Even thought the price is in the ballpark for this type speced device , if you followed there marketing releases and proposed pricing , youd be pretty annoyed .

The problem with the current market is, 500$ for a Tegra 10" device is just not justifiable anymore. There are several 10" Tegra3 devices in the 400$ or lower range. Mostly for 500$, you get a "premium" device.

The Google Nexus 7, for 199$ has a) 3" less screen, B) no SD c) less storage space. That is it. Unless screen prices suddenly increase by 5 fold, for a 3" difference, its clear that the 10" 500$ prices are from the "before" Nexus7 time frame. It was even clearly said by Nvidia that devices prices where going to hit 200$ for Tegra3's.

And unless i'm wrong for that 500$, you are not even getting the "fasted" Tegra3. Most sources are talking about the DDR2 version ( what still is a lot of less bandwidth ... exactly what the Tegra3 is starving for, when GPU related tasks ).

Archos Gamepad has slightly less specs, but almost 2/5 the price. Seen other developers with not exactly great specs, selling 7" gaming devices for 150$ range ( JXD? ).

From a economical point of view, the price is just insane. Personally, i expect to see 10" tablets with Tegra3's, entering at a 300$ price range.

O yea, its 500$, with NO 3G ... mostly each feature get milked a lot in Tablets. And this is just the vanilla version. At there original price @ 7" = instant buy. A 50 to 100$ price increase, for 10" = Almost instant buy. Current price = A lot of words not usable in public to describe the company's management for coming up with a price like that.

They totally blew it with the huge price increase. The 7" @ $199 released last summer like they originally said... That would have been good. This will just be a flash in the pan, forgotten by next year.

I find it disgusting how they report a 20$ increase on the soc price to the final product price...

Good lord, you american illiterates, learn the difference between "their" and "there". Please.

Klapse if you want to be an arse f£%k off else where, sending people malicious messages, is way out of order.

Has this pretty much been thrown into the "don't want pile" - Thanks to the >100% price increase from the proposed?

Was just seeing that it now comes with chrome dpad, triggers and face buttons though, perhaps validating some of that value?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/wikipad-big-fish-games/

On another slightly OT note, I was watching an old episode of Bad Influence the other night and saw the proposed design for The Gamesmaster console... It's not a far stretch from the design of the Razor Project Fiona in terms of the controller I thought.

razer_project_fiona_concept_pc_gaming_tablet_1.jpg

actiongamemasterconsole.jpg

3rd or 4th article on the wikipad that has fallen in and out of vaporware status from Engadget, but not even a single post on the gcw zero.... seems fair

Well they are ow saying it will launch on Halloween - October isn't it?

By then the next gen SOCs will be out for a while in products including of course the T4 Project Shield . Then you will have the high priced Wikipad with a T3. A bit like a minute late and a dollar short although its more like year late and $300 short (of the price it should be)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this really needed to meet the original proposed release schedule I think.

Well they are ow saying it will launch on Halloween - October isn't it?

By then the next gen SOCs will be out for a while in products including of course the T4 Project Shield . Then you will have the high priced Wikipad with a T3. A bit like a minute late and a dollar short although its more like year late and $300 short (of the price it should be)
Plus by then I'm sure there will be more than a few third party controller add-on grips for tablets, although I can't say if any of them won't suck.

Others at least have the opportunity to do much more compact and nicer looking ones than these..

Last edited by a moderator:
The controls sure add a lot of volume to a small tablet.

New price is a lot less insane, but it's still going to be an uphill battle fighting against the stuff JXD is pumping out now, especially if they take long enough that they start lagging behind in SoC power. Maybe it'll sell to people who are self conscious about using a tablet in public if it has gaming controls on it.

Back