Will Gpsp Be Improved For Pandora?

sm1988

Still Fresh
I Think Exophase said he was going to port it to pandora. is he or is somebody else going to port it? just asking because I have grown to like the emulator alot on psp lately. I think it would be blazing fast on pandora. just hope the kai team doesn't get ahold of a pandora.

sm1988 said:
I Think Exophase said he was going to port it to pandora. is he or is somebody else going to port it? just asking because I have grown to like the emulator alot on psp lately. I think it would be blazing fast on pandora. just hope the kai team doesn't get ahold of a pandora.
I am porting it to Pandora, and Takka can bite me because I'm not making any future versions of gpSP open source ;p

I'm trying to work on it now, for PC, then GP2X, then Pandora. It's hard getting really into it because I need to do some massive rewriting of various parts, but I have some good ideas (I hope).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well from a google search it looks like some guys released gpSP Kai and didn't give him credit (?)

From what I recall, Exophase contacted Takka and was ignored. Repeatedly. Which is pretty cold.

After a while all the PSP scene kids started loving Takka and dissing Exophase - all they know is getting what they want, when they want it. So that also probably discouraged Exophase.

At least that's what I've gathered on the matter.

I just hope the bois file can be hidden on this release pleeeaaase :)

.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
that's bad :( i didn't know about it
what did exophase want in the psp scene, did he want to help with gpsp or something?
Nooo he wrote gpsp and takka took the source code and started making unstable ports. it was a mess. I actually supported takka until i found out that he was actually breaking more things in the program than he was improving. anyway Im glad it is over and exophase did not let it get to him. there are some great guys in the psp scene but there are also alot of whiny little bitches that dont know there ass from a hole in the ground that turn alot of good coders away.

The way I see the PSP 'scene' is that it's divided into 3:

Group 1: Release source and binaries
Group 2: Release binaries only (sometimes compressed and/or encrypted)
Group 3: Release binaries and/or source to private groups only.

Typically, most devs start at group 1 and move down as they get irritated by the 'scene'. I've even seen some people hex-edit binaries to change the credits, hence group 3 and the second part of group 2. Of course, devs can also get fedup and stop releasing stuff alltogether.

It seems the same has happened with Exophase and Gpsp. It's my understanding that Takka took Exophase's code, modified and re-released it, but refused to release the code to his modifications.

Squidge said:
The way I see the PSP 'scene' is that it's divided into 3:

Group 1: Release source and binaries
Group 2: Release binaries only (sometimes compressed and/or encrypted)
Group 3: Release binaries and/or source to private groups only.

Typically, most devs start at group 1 and move down as they get irritated by the 'scene'. I've even seen some people hex-edit binaries to change the credits, hence group 3 and the second part of group 2. Of course, devs can also get fedup and stop releasing stuff alltogether.

It seems the same has happened with Exophase and Gpsp. It's my understanding that Takka took Exophase's code, modified and re-released it, but refused to release the code to his modifications.
Yeah I never thought about it but that is a good point. I think that the new pandora dev scene will turn out to be greener pastures for those who take part in it. it seems great already and there is not even hardware released yet.

damn I wrote the opposite :p i was gonna talk if he was receiving help from takka
hmm so I see, takka simply began working over the source, with no exophase help

well, i think that's what open-source provides... opportunity for other people to mess with your code.
if you want to take full control of what is currently under development, you should keep the source for you, since you know what are the next steps and how you organize stuff

you should not feel pissed about the "scene", just do what you want. if you dont want to release the code while you are working on it, there's no need to. just release it when you feel like it, or don't want to work with it anymore.

Takka didn't ever really break the GPL, he did release his source code (although sometimes it's only on the SVN, which can be really hard to pinpoint for a particular version since he keeps changing things). There's nothing illegal with what he's done, it was just pretty sorely against my wishes, and after I made it clear that I wanted him to stop forking without talking to me he asked if he could release one more that was just a translation modification, and out of compromise I told him yes. Instead he did all sorts of crap in a release and that really broke the.. beast of burden's back for me (what the hell, why is there a spam filter that turns that word into "moron"?). He changes things really haphazardly and releases things without enough testing.

I see his work like this: maybe 5% of his changes are actually beneficial (bug fixes or oversights, but sometimes he changes things that he just didn't understand in the first place, like VRAM mirroring), 15% are adding features that are very simple and I probably would have added eventually, 25% are adding features that I do not care to have in gpSP but now am basically obligated to put in there or people will complain, and the other 55% are just changing things subjectively, possibly to make it feel like it's more his work to him. Like changing the GUI, or changing extensions or locations, or even changing the formatting of the code. And it's these things that really annoy me. Another annoying thing he does is put in some kind of framework that he's adding for a new feature that does NOTHING, or doesn't work at all, then hype the hell out of it. He's been promising multiplayer support forever now, and has the binary do various wifi initialization things that just confuse people and give them false hope. I'm all but certain that he's doing this to generate attention and I don't like it at all.

It was of course my fault for making it GPL, even though from day 1 I practically begged people to not fork it without my permission they don't really give a damn, especially people who probably don't understand English all that well. So that's why I'm making it closed source. The people I trust to port it can still get the source from me (like zodttd). If you read my terms in Temper it's basically exactly the same as what I want to do with gpSP. I just have to make sure to improve it enough so that Takka doesn't start trying to compete with me, with my own source, because that'd really piss me off (but I bet he will anyway).

Open source is good for collaborative projects but just because someone makes something open doesn't mean that they want someone else to start working on it. Trying to merge in someone else's random changes to your code can be more effort than its worth, if they do anything useful in the first place. Unfortunately, very few people see it the way I do. They see GPL as giving you rights to do whatever you want with a program, no matter how impractical it is. The reason I made gpSP open source is so that other people could see how I did things (I actually spend a ton of time reading source code for other emulators, so this is really relevant to me.. I'd never fork one though), and if they think something should be changed they can call me on it. Also so people can port it; although I'd like to be informed of this as well, I've been generally accepting of the ports that have come up (iPod, a few to cell phones).

gpSP was actually a project of great personal significance to me (wrote it during a period of serious depression and isolation, basically as a desperate attempt to accomplish something useful) and I figured that people would respect my wishes when I asked them not to modify it, although it occurred to me that they might not. Sure enough, what I got was people saying "fuck you, you made it GPL so I can do what I want with it." Mistake acknowledged, lesson learned. I'm not putting another sole effort emulator under GPL again, and I'm not going to risk a "non-modifiable" license like byuu has done with BSNES (and has gotten slammed for, somehow)

Personally I don't see a problem with people keeping the source to themselves whilst they're still working on something, but I think its generally a good idea to release code when you stop development yourself or someone politely asks so they can make a port, or see how you did something.

At least that way other people can continue your work, but what that guy did seems a bit stupid really, I wouldn't start haphazardly hacking around with someone else’s code and start releasing half arsed attempts at things.

Then again, I'm a proper Software Developer who's rather pedantic on writing good code and testing thoroughly, which is important in my work as I work on medical analysis software. I guess you can't expect the same from someone thats probably only done a college course in computing and random bits of C++!

well can you put in your will that if you die it goes open source... that way you can live forever in our code :p

I didnt ever try the kai version i always use the last version of Exophase. Thanks for this great emu i play it near everyday since some weeks. i finsihed some games and all works great. at least i have a mariokart to play on psp that run great, sorry to say that guy even if its port without be updated the gba emu run enough great for me. :) im happy with it. i can broke my gba catridge and trash my supercard of my ds lite. With the pandora i can trash my psp LOL.

it's sad to see someone who has done such a great job end up getting "punished" like that
you are now on my top ten list of most kickass devs =`D "Thank you" would be just two small words to say to the person responsible for all my gba gaming on the psp, that's countless hours of fun I owe you ^_^
and here's hope for the Pandora to be everything you want to work with, because we know we can expect great stuff from you :)

Hiroe said:
well can you put in your will that if you die it goes open source...
Yikes, don't even joke about that. Exophase is going to live forever.

i never thought a fullspeed gba emu could ever existed on the psp. am so happy that he did it. i play it near everyday. im very disapointed to know the truth. dont be sad. people like me understand your situation. ever without knowing that i took your version instead of the kai version. anyway i always use official version because i know it from the person that work to do it or port it.

( sorry for my bad english , i know im not perfect)

when playing gpsp on psp i dont see what can be really better than that on the pandora, all work great for me

( sometime i feel reponsible to have said to yoyofr that he didnt need to release another version of psp snes9x after releasing 4.2, because it was enough good. it seem he has heard my words. i was one of the first to bugging him to port his zodiac snes9x on the psp lol )

when a emu run near fullspeed i dont like to bother the coder for others releases. a perfect emu will never exist anyway.

THANKS a million time exophase for this wonderful emu. just port the current version to the pandora and i will be very grateful

Back