Will It Render Everything Else Obsolete..?

miseryguts1969

Still Fresh
The Playstation 'Vita' i'm talking about (still can't take that name seriously) as far as handheld gaming is concerned, and more importantly for emulation (at least for me)
It's always been my dream for as long as i can remember, to have a handheld multi-platform emulation capable device (and i DO own a Pandora) that could potentially run anything up to & including the DC and quite possibly even the PS2 (if the original PSP's inbuilt support for PS1 is any kind of yardstick)
Especially now if you take into consideration the dual analogues, touchscreen & rear trackpad and sheer raw power (if the tech specs are to be believed)
Very attractive price point too with the average UK price around the £229.99 mark (Wi-Fi version) as soon as the inevitable CFW's begin to appear this then becomes a must have unit as far as i am concerned.

Thoughts..?

miseryguts1969 said:
The Playstation 'Vita' i'm talking about (still can't take that name seriously) as far as handheld gaming is concerned, and more importantly for emulation (at least for me)
It's always been my dream for as long as i can remember, to have a handheld multi-platform emulation capable device (and i DO own a Pandora) that could potentially run anything up to & including the DC and quite possibly even the PS2 (if the original PSP's inbuilt support for PS1 is any kind of yardstick)
Especially now if you take into consideration the dual analogues, touchscreen & rear trackpad and sheer raw power (if the tech specs are to be believed)
Very attractive price point too with the average UK price around the £229.99 mark (Wi-Fi version) as soon as the inevitable CFW's begin to appear this then becomes a must have unit as far as i am concerned.

Thoughts..?
The emulation scene, if any will not be good, because SONY will secure PSV moreso than any console ever before it.

Everything N64 and below = My guess is...Yes, it should be able to...definitely at full-speed.

PSOne = Yes, it should be able to...PERFECTLY!!!

SEGA SATURN = No

Dreamcast = My guess is...Yes, it should be able to...not sure whether all games will run full-speed though.

GBA = YES!!! Go Exo!!!

GameCube and PS2 = My guess is...Yes, it should be able to, but I doubt it will run every single game at full-speed.

XBOX 1 = Yes, it should be able to, but it might struggle.

Nintendo DS = Yes!!! Need another screen though...preferably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows how long it will take to crack? And what tricky security stuff will Sony use to stop people from cracking it? It has amazing potential (being more powerful, better made AND cheaper than either the Pandora or the Xperia Play) so we'd be mad to dismiss it completely, but we'd best not get too excited until someone actually gets some emulators running on it.

No way is PSV doing real PS2 emulation. They can't get PS3 to do it, and believe me, they would if they could.

Exophase said:
No way is PSV doing real PS2 emulation. They can't get PS3 to do it, and believe me, they would if they could.

Yes. The PS2 is a bitchwhore to emulate (even decent PCs still have trouble) and the architecture of the PS2 is really unusual and (I may be talking the truth here - who knows?) therefore quite difficult to emulate - EDRAM and such, and its SPUs. If the PS3 can't do it, the Vita definitely won't be able to, but it'll be perfectly capable of playing higher resolution ports, like the PS3 does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back