Will Take Pandora Now

BackAssward said:
My main question is this: Is it still just a software issue, or are they considering a different WiFi chip. That is, if the people who take the dongle, will only ever have WiFi via the dongle or will they eventually have a working internal WiFi.
This is from the other thread on the matter, if it's of any help;

EvilDragon said:
notaz is working on the kernel, but not deciding with us.

Well, the module initializes and talks to the board, that's what we know for sure.

One thing I can promise: If it REALLY turns out to be a hardware fault, you can be sure we'll either fix it for you or exchange your board for free as soon as we can afford it (maybe after the second batch, when we got some money back).
So either way, you won't be screwed. (I remember I had to fix over 200 gp2x First Editions as they had a flickering LCD...)

We just wanted to make an offer that you can use WiFi right from the start, that's why we want to offer you a small WiFi dongle and your Pandora NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy posted on 29 March 2010 - 12:46 PM said:
notaz is working on the kernel, but not deciding with us.

Well, the module initializes and talks to the board, that's what we know for sure.

One thing I can promise: If it REALLY turns out to be a hardware fault, you can be sure we'll either fix it for you or exchange your board for free as soon as we can afford it (maybe after the second batch, when we got some money back).
So either way, you won't be screwed. (I remember I had to fix over 200 gp2x First Editions as they had a flickering LCD...)

We just wanted to make an offer that you can use WiFi right from the start, that's why we want to offer you a small WiFi dongle and your Pandora NOW.

And

EvilDragon posted on 29 March 2010 - 01:01 PM said:
The problem is, you can never be 100% sure if it's hardware or not when you don't have the software properly working yet. As we don't want to lie to you, we surely cannot promise :)
All we know is that the module gets everything according to specs (Michael checked it) and does initialize and work so far (though slowly). It does report the Signal strength and Link Quality correctly, so the antenna also seems to be fine :)

However, we have no money to pay a team to get WiFi working. And to not let you wait for too long, we decided we'd go this way.
You can either wait until we completely fixed it, but we cannot tell how long you will have to wait yet.
Or you can get it right away including a dongle so you get a full functional Pandora including a minimal WiFi dongle which surely won't get in your way - starting delivery in April. And if there really is something wrong (as said, there's always a chance), we offer to fix it.

Edit: Damn 1/2 :ph34r: , I think ED's second quote is also worth including.

I'll take my Pandora now WITH or WITHOUT the dongle, as long as I have the beauty in my hands.

Killerx20 said:
I'll take my Pandora now WITH or WITHOUT the dongle, as long as I have the beauty in my hands.
Amen, brotha!

I dont care about working WIFI

ED and the guys will have it working eventually.

Pandora ASAP please :)

I gotta be honest, I'm really not interested in using a wifi dongle on my Pandora. If there is an option to pass on my "paid for" Pandora, to hold out for wifi that works, I would take that option. I feel like a dongle hanging off my Pandy would cheapen the overall device. Never mind the fact it would most likely hurt overall profits for the devs. I'll take my Pandora when its good and ready. Till then, I will do what I have done the past two years. I will patiently wait.

Regardless of if you;re in the first 1000 or not they're going to send those out with dongles. In the two or three weeks it takes to build all those Pandora's and mail them out the problem might be fixed. They dont know for sure but rather than make people wait until they DO know they want to send the dongles in the mean time. it's not meant to be a permanent solution just a quick fix until they can get a better idea of whether they CAN find a fix or if they need to change something in the hardware. by the time they hit the next 3000 they should have a better idea. Which could be:

-Software. They figure it out, (ie. "Ha! It was just a typo! FIXED!")
-Hardware. Needs changing, maybe waiting until the second batch if fixing first batch boards take too far along. Dongles for everyone, Refits later!
-Hardware. Can be fixed quickly, next 3000 get no dongle, First 1000 can return it with the dongle for a fix.

Either way I'll take mine now, thanks. Because with either hardware situation I still gotta send it back right? So I might as well have it until then.

Back