Will the Pandora be marketed commercialy?

LuCaS1x1

Still Fresh
OK recap..This is the most powerful handheld in the world,Has many functions,and Open Source.This should be sold in Walmart,Best Buy,Circuit City e.t.c. and should be known as the best handheld.I think Open Source Products will become very popular and the Pandora DERSERVES to be in electronics stores(when availible)and to have professional games made for it.Maybe Pandora should sell a good 3D engine for the console to those who would want to develop high quality games for it.Im looking forward to what its going to evolve to and wanted to see what the community thought about it.Please leave comments and say what you think.Thanks

LuCaS1x1 said:
OK recap..This is the most powerful handheld in the world,Has many functions,and Open Source.This should be sold in Walmart,Best Buy,Circuit City e.t.c. and should be known as the best handheld.I think Open Source Products will become very popular and the Pandora DERSERVES to be in electronics stores(when availible)and to have professional games made for it.Maybe Pandora should sell a good 3D engine for the console to those who would want to develop high quality games for it.Im looking forward to what its going to evolve to and wanted to see what the community thought about it.Please leave comments and say what you think.Thanks
you may see it at store's like microcenter

1. That takes $$ and popularity. Pandora is a niche product. These do not fit. They are like pieces from two different jigsaw puzzles: one of a beautiful tiger and the other of Detroit.

2. I don't think they should sell it at Circuit City, as it seems to be surrounded by an aura of doom right now.

The problem with the Pandora is it does too much. The specs are too good. People would buy one and not want to buy anything for another 3 to 6 years. Highly commercial devices are designed to be limited enough that many people will buy a new one every year or two.

Pandora also lacks DRM/copy protection. This would serverly discourage commercial game makers from developing for it. Even if the devs in these companies want to, they're always higher ups who care of nothing but money.

The OMAP3530 DOES have hardware level protection.

Maybe if Craigix got onto Dragon's Den and got a nice amount of capital it could be that big.

The alternative is that some magnate hears about this from their tech team and offers Craig,etc the chance to make it BIG!

But in the current economic climate ... not any time soon ;)

zarneth said:
The problem with the Pandora is it does too much. The specs are too good. People would buy one and not want to buy anything for another 3 to 6 years. Highly commercial devices are designed to be limited enough that many people will buy a new one every year or two.

Pandora also lacks DRM/copy protection. This would serverly discourage commercial game makers from developing for it. Even if the devs in these companies want to, they're always higher ups who care of nothing but money.
Im pretty sure it has DRM protection but you are right about it doing so much.Major Companies create there products with flaws and make new models afterwards to get more profits.Just look at sony and the PSP.There just now releasing another model and they'll probally release a psp with two anologs sticks soon.

The next stage was to sell it through distributors. Once that has been set up on he second batch, and now there is extra memory it might well depend upon interest and demand. At present there isn't the infrastructure to keep a major chain supplied.

While the Pandora is powerful, it sure as hell isn't going to be user friendly. Quite simply, the average Joe doesn't want to trawl the internet looking for tutorials of how to get x working.

PSOne gaming in your pocket? Great, sign me up. Hang on, where do I put the PS game CD, there's no slot? What?! You have to rip them into an ISO? What's an ISO? And then I have to do what? Install the emulator? What's an emulator? Doesn't it come with the machine? Why didn't they just put it on the machine? Right, so I just put these on the Pandora and then it works, right? Wadda ya mean I have to buy an SD card? They're like £40 in Dixons, I've already paid £200 for the machine, why hasn't it got any memory on it, my iPod cost less and it has loads of room?

The DS it ain't...

kaprikawn said:
While the Pandora is powerful, it sure as hell isn't going to be user friendly. Quite simply, the average Joe doesn't want to trawl the internet looking for tutorials of how to get x working.
I have distinct feeling that you're underestimating knowledge of 'average Joes'... :)
...or maybe you're right, but Pandora's target audience is '(slightly) above average Joes'. :p

kaprikawn said:
PSOne gaming in your pocket? Great, sign me up. Hang on, where do I put the PS game CD, there's no slot? What?! You have to rip them into an ISO? What's an ISO? And then I have to do what? Install the emulator? What's an emulator? Doesn't it come with the machine? Why didn't they just put it on the machine? Right, so I just put these on the Pandora and then it works, right? Wadda ya mean I have to buy an SD card? They're like £40 in Dixons, I've already paid £200 for the machine, why hasn't it got any memory on it, my iPod cost less and it has loads of room?
I'm not trying to be smart-ass here, but couldn't average Joe download a PS1 game (bundled with emulator) to SD card, and just insert this card into Pandora ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own particular game, you can download it from the net, right ?

kaprikawn said:
The DS it ain't...
So Nintendo DS can emulate PS1 ? :D (And I am trying to be smart-ass here.)

BTW, maybe I'm a dreamer, but I firmly believe in creating games dedicated to Pandora. :oops:

Pandora doesn't impress me that much yet, just emulating psx it's not enough. i would want pandora to emulate full speed with sound emulators such as n64,jaguar,32x,saturn and possibly dreamcast with decent speed.

Pandora is a really powerful system it should release commercial games like tekken,ridge racer,soul calibur,devil may cry 4 it will be totally amazing.

maciek_urbanski said:
I have distinct feeling that you're underestimating knowledge of 'average Joes'... :)
...or maybe you're right, but Pandora's target audience is '(slightly) above average Joes'. :p

I'm not trying to be smart-ass here, but couldn't average Joe download a PS1 game (bundled with emulator) to SD card, and just insert this card into Pandora ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you own particular game, you can download it from the net, right ?

So Nintendo DS can emulate PS1 ? :D (And I am trying to be smart-ass here.)

BTW, maybe I'm a dreamer, but I firmly believe in creating games dedicated to Pandora. :oops:

Downloading a game you own is illegal in the US, and you are seriously overestimating the 'average joe' - worse is better, iPods and iTunes are huge for a reason.

You could bridge the gap and open up to the normal kind of geek with a nice detailed wiki though.

kaprikawn said:

The DS it ain't...
Haha true...But what I'm proposing is and good standard GUI,a few stable emus,and some simple apps should be included along with a guide about basic stuff that most the homebrew/hacking community already knows.So "Average Joes"could understand the features of the Pandora that no other handheld has;also I agree with sukhiextreme the pandora should have commercial games.Why would anyone want to buy a console to play retro games beside homebrewers?The answer is no-one and I understand that its not meant to be for average joes but,what Im saying is it should have simple enough stuff for an average joe to use it and also enough power to make homebrew for.Its about four times as powerful than the psp and open source.People would go crazy if they could buy this and games but,also be able to play homebrew from the huge community and,if they wonted to,they could start coding themselves.

To be fair, you could legally include an emulator so long as you aren't distributing any copyrighted material with it (such as BIOS). And BIOSless emulators have been done before. And there was a court case that could be used to establish legal precedence: Bleem!. That's not to say I think it's a good idea, combined with me not being a lawyer of any sort.

But if we're comparing Pandora emulating PS1 games to a PSP emulating them, how is the Pandora the one that is harder for our theoretical Average Joe to get working?

Amnesiasoft said:
To be fair, you could legally include an emulator so long as you aren't distributing any copyrighted material with it (such as BIOS). And BIOSless emulators have been done before. And there was a court case that could be used to establish legal precedence: Bleem!. That's not to say I think it's a good idea, combined with me not being a lawyer of any sort.

But if we're comparing Pandora emulating PS1 games to a PSP emulating them, how is the Pandora the one that is harder for our theoretical Average Joe to get working?
Its not but the Average joe will wont to play games developed from the ground up for the pandora. :D

"Average Joe" buys the latest game that they hear is awesome, and in the PSP and Wii's case they only manage to use the emulators because they are built in and a store walks them through what little is needed on their part to rebuy the game to play it. For them it's nothing but downloadable titles,and it takes about the same effort as buying anything else from the web.

The platform is not suitable for people without some expertise with it. Most people don't have the understanding of the hardware and software it runs, and thus can't really help themselves unless they spend vast amounts of time gathering the knowledge. Just not worth it for them.

Just put a polished linux on it with some cool apps and some small OS games and promote it as MID(Mobile Internet Device). Users who want more will help themselves.
Honestly, at a pricepoint reaching from 249eur to 299eur it would sell well with that functionality.
The only thing I'm concerned with is the profit margin. Every reseller wants to have a share of the cake.

I'd rather get a nettop for that price. ...if I was an average joe who just wants to play simple games and listen to music.

The best commercial games are on ds lite, the only problem is the ds lite isn't very powerful to emulate stuff like mega cd,cps2.

Pandora won't have many commercial games but it will have powerful emulators which the ds,psp won't able to emulate that's for sure.

The psp doesn't have many good commercial games, it will good idea to have some ds games ported on pandora if that's possible, i would love to see metroid prime hunters,new super mario bros,nanostray,ninja gaiden, if these games appear on it i will be very impressed.

Back