Will You Be Disappointed If The Pandora Is Not Perfect In Every Way?

Perfect machine?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I dont mind, I'll love it anyway

• Total voters

DynaMight

Website
Visit site
All this bashing of how the Wiz is going to be flawed and the software is going to be buggy but no-one even seems to assume the Pandora is going to be anything except perfect, not a single issue hardware and software wise.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I am not bashing the efforts of everyone involved and hope it is perfect but seeing how even big companies make design flaws, buggy software etc. I am not expecting the Pandora to be flawless.

No the pandora won't be flawless, though I think its developers and makers are doing a good job (Given the nature of the release), so it will have as few flaws as possible. Of course there will always be one or two minor niggles but every piece of hardware you can buy will have those. On the wiz I don't have a huge amount of information on it ,but from what I have seen it is a device which looks like it might be aimed squarely at kids.

Flaws or not, I think the pandora at £199 is a pretty good deal.

ljones

PlopperZ said:
The second and third options seem like the same thing.
nah, there could be hardware flaws and because of them you would hate it.
i'll love it regardless. (well unless it doesn't work...)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason people are questioning the Wiz is GPH's track record with the numerous flaws of the GP2X -- flaws that people like craigix, EvilDragon and DaveC went some way towards fixing, coincidentally.

But I still loved my GP2X despite those flaws, so if the Pandora has similar foibles I'm sure it won't be the apocalypse.

edit: the poll is confusing, but I voted "No" -- no machine is "perfect."

it's going to be flawed. the analogs suck. there will likely be very few, full featured commercial games. and many other things that detract.

I voted No. There is no perfect platform. I will love the platform, so long as there are no show stoppers. If there were show stoppers I have faith that OpenPandora Ltd will do the right thing and fix them in hardware or software.

Could the Pandora benefit from more Ram? Sure, but it isn't possible.
Could it have a bigger screen? sure it could, if you wanted a laptop instead of a pocket computer.
Could it run Windows? sure it could if it were x86 based.
Could it have analog pads with greater throw and center push? Sure it could, but the majority of people weren't willing to wait for one to be created.

Perfection is subjective. I for one am at the very least OK with the decisions made by OpenPandora Ltd when it comes the the device and for my specific purposes the Pandora is damn near perfection, but I'm sure there will be some shortcoming that will disappoint me eventually. By then, hopefully, the Pandora II will be available for pre-order. :)

Pandora's design has made a few compromises from the start. I think it's a design that tries to do a lot of things and work well for a lot of people, which means that it's bound to have some imperfections for many. What I admire about the design is just how much they've managed to make the concept work despite initial skepticism - it remains to be seen how much this will carry through in the actual hardware.

Side note: I don't get why a few people have been saying "everyone gets to flame Wiz but no one flames Pandora, boohoo" around here. It couldn't be further from the truth. First of all, people were mainly criticizing Wiz's dual d-pad design, and now that GPH has announced that they're changing that they've gotten a ton of praise overall. Second, even that amount of criticism pales in comparison to the Pandora flaming that went on when the first renders were shown.

Exophase said:
First of all, people were mainly criticizing Wiz's dual d-pad design, and now that GPH has announced that they're changing that
what

mindlord said:
I voted No. There is no perfect platform. I will love the platform, so long as there are no show stoppers. If there were show stoppers I have faith that OpenPandora Ltd will do the right thing and fix them in hardware or software.

Could the Pandora benefit from more Ram? Sure, but it isn't possible.
Could it have a bigger screen? sure it could, if you wanted a laptop instead of a pocket computer.
Could it run Windows? sure it could if it were x86 based.
Could it have analog pads with greater throw and center push? Sure it could, but the majority of people weren't willing to wait for one to be created.

Perfection is subjective. I for one am at the very least OK with the decisions made by OpenPandora Ltd when it comes the the device and for my specific purposes the Pandora is damn near perfection, but I'm sure there will be some shortcoming that will disappoint me eventually. By then, hopefully, the Pandora II will be available for pre-order. :)
Actaully, 256MB RAM is possible now. It'll just double the cost of the device. so not practical. ^^

I don't think I would be disappointed unless parts physically fall off of it. Or the hinge eats the screen cable.

The brilliance of using nearly the same parts as a $150 popular dev board will really pay off as far as software is concerned.

Most of the GPH problems are their own fualt because they aren't thinking of it in the way we are. MWeston and Craig came at the problem of a console from the perspective of the scene here and have neatly side-stepped most of the problems we could face.

The software is being designed with us in mind, and work is done to get us all the documentation and drivers possible.

It took many months to pry all of this stuff away from GPH and MagicEyes, whereas the code for this unit is based on the work the scene developers did for the GP2X, and Ti is being more than helpful, a representative from them is here on the board and actively trying to get us all the source and specs we need, and supplying working drivers for what they can't release without NDA.

I don't know, you can't foresee the future, but as long as parts don't fall off or fail to work entirely (in which case I expect a repair/replacement, obviously), I don't see how I could be upset.

Sure, there's things already that aren't my ideal, but that doesn't take away from it being a great device. For one, I'd love a 4.3 inch 4x3 screen, and the clamshell isn't my favorite format (although it is the most practical). They've still got a ton of things right, and assuming it's executed right, it will be a force to reckon with.

A more accurate title for this thread/poll would be "Will You Be Disappointed WHEN The Pandora Is Not Perfect In Every Way", and the obvious answer (for some of the more vocal complainers around here) is YES: We're going to hear tons of bitching here at GP32X when some people come to that realization after using it.

Do not misinterpret that statement as me bashing the Pandora. I think it has a massive amount of potential (and I've even contemplated buying one, regardless of the massive price... maybe :lol: ). I merely mean that there is NO SUCH THING as a "perfect" handheld, because there will never be a way to appease EVERY fanboy -- because many of them are incredibly fickle, and they always want MORE MORE MORE.

It's pretty sick and sad, actually.

As long as there are no major hardware bugs I will be happy. I mean if you look at the GP2X which had it's flaws and yet the community still managed to turn it into the great machine with a great software library that it is today.

So seeing this new machine which is built from the ground up by the community, for the community, with all the benefits of past experience knowing what needs to be improved over the GP2X/GP32 gives me confidence.

I'd say when the Pandora is released it will have a running start as there won't be the hurdles to overcome as there was with the GP2X (second processor not being accessible, no FPU, inconvenient joystick, no source code etc.) Programs will probably run in thick and fast on release as developers suddenly have absolutely loads of horsepower to play with and will port everything they can.

Back