Will You Buy It Now?

GunPei2X said:
It's a handheld gaming device
If it's supposed to be a handheld gaming device, why does it look like a bloody mini laptop?

Clamshell design is a really bad design for this imo. It should be an all-in-one, with the controls on either side of the screen and slide-out keyboard. That would make it actually LOOK like a handheld gaming device.

I'm on the 'no' side of 'maybe' at the moment. The specs of this device are unbelievable, sure, and it will blow anything else on the market away, I just feel that, for a gaming device, they've gone totally in the wrong direction in terms of design. I'll be waiting until after release and reading many reviews and opinions of other users of this device before I actually decide whether it's for me or not.

Hell, if someone comes out with a fully functional Amiga emu (preferably Amiga 1200) that runs full speed (or close for A1200), and uses the touchscreen for mouse emulation (which it probably will anyway) *EDIT* it will have to support saving back to disk images too, for saving of gaming stats such as in Worms and Cannon Fodder (end edit) then I probably will buy one for that. But until then, it's a wait and see for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell does that mena, A1200 vanilla? I just want something that will act like an A1200 out-of-the-box, ie load the floppies and act like a standard A1200. And if this machine can do N64 like so many think, I can't see it not doing A1200 well.

I googled A1200 vanilla, know what I got? sites for upgrading A1200s with HDDs and the like, that's not what I'd be after here.

White Demon said:
What the hell does that mena, A1200 vanilla? I just want something that will act like an A1200 out-of-the-box, ie load the floppies and act like a standard A1200. And if this machine can do N64 like so many think, I can't see it not doing A1200 well.

I googled A1200 vanilla, know what I got? sites for upgrading A1200s with HDDs and the like, that's not what I'd be after here.
Hes means a standard A1200.

White Demon said:
If it's supposed to be a handheld gaming device, why does it look like a bloody mini laptop?
How many laptops have a D-pad, two analogue sticks, shoulder buttons and A/B/X/Y?

The design is most similar to a DS (currently the most popular handheld gaming device in the entire world), but with a keyboard instead of a second screen.

The A1200 come with a 68020, a graphic chipset called AGA and 2 mbits of ram and work out of the box, and that would be emulable on the pandora, true. But with that low end A1200 setup you can't do much. Lots of more advanced games won't run, or at very slow speed, and it's not really usable for everything but the less demanding games.

A standard A1200 come with at least a 50+ Mhz 68060, a kyro-class video chipset and 32+ megs of memory I'd say. And that's still not much. Mine is a dual processor (50Mhz + 200 Mhz) with 256megs of ram and a Voodoo 3 GC, and have other stuffs that could be complicated to emulate such as a PCI bus, USB drives, sound blaster 128 audio, 100mbits LAN, Wifi... Which is the kind of Amiga today's amiga softwares expect and need, and which can't be emulated by the pandora.

You can't do anything anymore with the basic out of the box Amiga's.

Clad, to be fair I think all he (and many of us) care about is running "classic era" AGA games, which a stock A1200 will do just fine for nearly all of them. HD support would be super.

What the point ? There has been very few AGA games, and most of them are just (very) slightly improved already existing ECS games.

AGA never replaced ECS at any point during the AGA lifespan, as ECS hardware was still being sold even when C= went bankrupt. (A600's...), the amiga game market went very brutally from ECS to Kyro+ without really caring about AGA.

There are in fact many AGA games available, I put a whole CD of AGA only Amiga disk image files (adf) together a few years ago.

Most of these games work on a standard A1200, the only extra requirement of some being an extra 2MB of RAM. That would be the only extra requirement I'd need in A1200 emu on the Panda, that it has 4MB ram available instead of 2.

Don't think i ever happened upon a Amiga game that didn't run on my standard Amiga1200. I have somewhere around 5K floppy disc's and 10 000 ADF files, and pretty much all is games. What games WONT run on a standard Amiga, but will run on the standard Amiga Workbench?

Mr B said:
Don't think i ever happened upon a Amiga game that didn't run on my standard Amiga1200.
There were plenty of games (both ECS and AGA games, and even some notable utilities) that wouldn't run on the Escom-branded A1200 models, though. Mostly because Escom threw out the Amiga floppy drive and modified the motherboard to work with a PC drive, losing the DSK_RDY signal in the process, a signal which many games with custom file systems relied on.
Anyway, an emulator won't have that kind of problem, I guess. :)

Some time ago I wanted to buy a gp32. After some "googleling" I found out about this website and started to read some buzz around its succesor, the gp2x. I've even heard ryleh's presentation of it at BCN 2005, were he showecased a pre-production unit.
SDL support, SD card, linux, bla bla bla.

The gp2x, as a device, delivered all that was promised, in my opinion. An open system that anyone could develop for (I toy a bit with SDL when i have the time).

It has a very nice documentation , on a community mantained wiki (I must admit that I admire the spanish though, their homebrew / demoscene community are pretty active).

Well after i've purchased my GP2x, (a f-100), for 190 eur (i've ordered the unit, the tv-out cable , and a holding strip) , i've found that I had :
  • A device with quality problems (soldering the goddaam headphone jack at 3 AM ...... no no no!)
  • Gaming system with an impossible directional sitck. Honestly..... my 60 Eur NGPC has a beter stick....why cant a 190 eur device!? In the beguining its tolerable, but as time passes.......the gp2x goes from SUPER handheld to dusty PMP. god darn directional stick.....
  • The apps, although they have a pretty high quality, have no consistency interface wise.
  • Baterry time...

The pandora sure got my wallets attention, but I will wait for the opinion of the 1st adopters in regards to build quality and ergonomics.

The EeePC (I'm typing this in with), combined with my GP2X kinda makes the Pandora redundant for me, unless something really special turns up on it?

I guess I'll wait and see?

BTW- EeePC is a very, very nice little machine. :p

Absolutely. If the Pandora were available today with the current specs and current design, I'd be entering my CC info right now instead of replying to this post.

The device has a mountain of potential, and I have full confidence in the community to make sure that potential is met with quality software.

I'll be pre-ordering.

As someone else has mentioned, it looks like it has been designed with me in mind - killer specs and a keyboard for home computer emulation. The word 'future-proof' doesn't mean much these days... but this should be as close as you can get for a hand-held... should keep me happy for a couple of years.

I think most of 'us' will get one. Whether or not it will spill over to the mainstream at all is a more difficult question. And w/o seeing the business plan and knowing what their margins / breakeven point is its hard to know if they *need* to break into the mainstream. But the concept of 'hacking a handheld' be it a psp or iphone is getting more common so the time is right, more so than ever before, for it to do so.

The issue now is time to delivery (before someone else does sthing similar or there is a new psp / ds) and production quality. As a small company neither will be particularly easy.

But you have got to salute and respect Craig and the boys for putting their balls on the line to do this (selling s/one elses product is considerably less risky than designing and producing it yourself) and as such deserve all the support from us possible.

*Edited to avoid being caught by the grammar police :D *

as soon as it has a nigh-on perfect snes emulator (full transparencies and sound), this baby will be mine :D (although I will probably pre-order it anyway lol)

Back