Windows 8 ARM on Pandora

Probably the most compelling reason would be access to Office.. plus some proprietary web technology still need IE, for instance I can't do my timecard at work without it :/ (or access our configuration management repository..)

It's also possible WinRT will get some games that other platforms don't, since it'll generally be easier to port from x86 Win8 to this than other OSes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also possible WinRT will get some games that other platforms don't, since it'll generally be easier to port from x86 Win8 to this than other OSes.

previously windows CE/Phone/whatever was really different than windows for the desktop, porting apps from one OS to the other one was a nightmare...

As I understood it, with win8 it will basically just mean a recompile for the right target or am I wrong?

previously windows CE/Phone/whatever was really different than windows for the desktop, porting apps from one OS to the other one was a nightmare...

Porting, yes, but creating applications from scratch was relatively easy.

Porting apps from one system to another has always been difficult. Trying porting a windows application to Android or iOS...

As I understood it, with win8 it will basically just mean a recompile for the right target or am I wrong?
That's the intention. Windows 8 is trying to do what Linux has done, the same calls, the same libraries, multiple architectures. As a general rule it is "easy" to recompile desktop Linux applications for the Pandora, and that's what Microsoft was aiming for with Windows 8 as well.

That's the intention. Windows 8 is trying to do what Linux has done, the same calls, the same libraries, multiple architectures. As a general rule it is "easy" to recompile desktop Linux applications for the Pandora, and that's what Microsoft was aiming for with Windows 8 as well.

well, if that is the case that will be even easier as there's not that evil openGL vs openGL ES problem...

Yes, a directx, that can be used on arm and x86 would make things for gamedesigners really easy.

And then there is a chance that wine might get an arm release, that will support windows8 arm on armlinux... But thats just a dream right now.

Back