Wine On Android Starts Allowing Windows Binaries On Android/ARM.

I wonder why this post doesn't have any discussion. Well anyways this is good news. I can't wait until it can a bit more than solitaire but that still is a good start.

If wine worked a little better for me on x86 machines this would be huge news to me.  It is still very cool, and maybe things will get better.  thanks for bumping it Majin Wamu.

This is so last year for us pandorians... http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine//URL]

Also our (Lunixbochs) results are a bit better than just Solitaire:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine/page-11#entry269777/URL]

Ingoreis demo:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine/page-8#entry269120/URL]

My Half-life playing around (Not quite sure my opengl shim was working right):

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine/page-14#entry270581/URL]

Not Wine, but qemu x86 to arm:

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine/page-9#entry269352/URL]

So yeah I'm extremely interested what the Pyra can handle.. Lunuxbochs solution isn't quite plug and play, It has to be run on Slackware, pandebian and the likes.. but it is promising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I already read that thread, and watched a couple of the videos.  I remember seeing yours and thinking it was not worth messing around with.  I wish I had watched the one by ingories.  Maybe it is something I will mess around with at some point.  I wish I could play some more recent games with wine and not have to go through hell just to get 2 frames per second (if that) for the ones I really want.  

There are a couple of Windows games that I would be extremely happy if I could get running on Pyra in any playable fashion.  I kinda doubt I will get either.

Also remember the Pandora is pretty weak in CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth, etc compared to many of the current Android devices.

I wish I could just work on stuff like this full time...

Also remember the Pandora is pretty weak in CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth, etc compared to many of the current Android devices.

I wish I could just work on stuff like this full time...
I too wish you would :) .
Yes but maybe you can realy earn Money with it.
I have no Problems to buy one PND/APK where you choose your Windows Software and run many(shurly not all)

And ask Exophase,i think he is rich now with Drastic ;)

I think you have realy the potencial to earn Money with your Skills and Hobbies.

Its much impressive what you have done with GLSHIM and the Qemu/Wine Project ;)

My stuff is pretty much all open-source, and I'd need to work on it for probably over a year (burning through all of my savings) before I could sell anything.

Maybe if Pyra gets huge ED can hire a few devs to make it more awesome :p

Then you think completly wrong. He made money. Right. But from the total amouth of sales he made there is : google cut, then there is his partner cut, followed closely by the gouvernment one. Now divide this by the time he spent on drastic ( prototype, code/debug, read doc about the harware, find some more info hiself, test, debug and ultimatly support all these pokemon requests and users) and you'll end up with something bellow the minimum wage in some countries...

Then you think completly wrong. He made money. Right. But from the total amouth of sales he made there is : google cut, then there is his partner cut, followed closely by the gouvernment one. Now divide this by the time he spent on drastic ( prototype, code/debug, read doc about the harware, find some more info hiself, test, debug and ultimatly support all these pokemon requests and users) and you'll end up with something bellow the minimum wage in some countries...
Completely agree with you here.

Silver lining though is making money while doing something you enjoy (hopefully Exo enjoys it). For my weekend job, I quit waiting tables to be a bike courier. I hated being a server by the end of it, and now I get to make money riding my bike around. It was a big pay cut as I made great money working at the bar, but worth it to be doing something that I love.

However, that pay cut was a luxury afforded by working as an engineer during the week. Not everyone can afford the choice to make less money for their time.

Hopefully Drastic can continue to sell and make him a profit even as he moves his attention to other projects.

Wine progress is interesting and always good to hear, but it sounds like the developers are more focused on commercial avenues for x86 Android devices. If they get the qemu integration working totally right and qemu development continues this might not really matter, but those are big ifs. I also think this isn't going to be very interesting until they get very good DirectX support, say up to DX9.

Honestly, the truth is closer to what he said. I spent (and still spend) a ton of time on it, yeah, but the return is way more than I could hope to make at my normal job, for instance (let alone minimum wage) And I knew it would be before I even started working on it, although I didn't know it'd do quite this well. I probably would have still done it w/o any ability to sell it but I think it would have taken longer to come out and I wouldn't have been as focused on fixing things afterwards.

Wine progress is interesting and always good to hear, but it sounds like the developers are more focused on commercial avenues for x86 Android devices. If they get the qemu integration working totally right and qemu development continues this might not really matter, but those are big ifs. I also think this isn't going to be very interesting until they get very good DirectX support, say up to DX9.

Honestly, the truth is closer to what he said. I spent (and still spend) a ton of time on it, yeah, but the return is way more than I could hope to make at my normal job, for instance (let alone minimum wage) And I knew it would be before I even started working on it, although I didn't know it'd do quite this well. I probably would have still done it w/o any ability to sell it but I think it would have taken longer to come out and I wouldn't have been as focused on fixing things afterwards.
I am really happy for you. Seeing success like yours come from the huge talent in this community is truly gratifying. Hopefully more of the genius homebrewers we have here will see such reward for their time and talent.

There are a couple of Windows games that I would be extremely happy if I could get running on Pyra in any playable fashion.  I kinda doubt I will get either.
Which ones?
I would love to be able to play La-Mulana on my Pandora. I really really REALLY hope this becomes possible on the Pyra. La-Mulana doesn't require much power either. I am sure there is some way to get it running on the Pandora...

Back