Wiz Design Problems

dogeymon

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm not dissing on the Wiz, or at least meaning to, but there are certain standards in consoles that I think the Wiz should live up to, and perhaps it can do some of these things and I don't realize it. Here are a few problems with the console that I have. The major comparisons that I'm making are to the Sony PSP:

1) No backlight button. I can't turn the screen off and put it in sleep mode. Does the screen always have to be on??
2) The mp3 player doesn't have advanced sound options (if it does, let me know. If so, why can't I get to them while in the player [i.e. Latin, Rock, Piano, Jazz, etc.]?)
3) The video player can't play really high resolution movies very well, gets very choppy
4) Touchscreen has accuracy issues, especially on the far left and right of the screen, some issues at the bottom.
5) In Launcher, you can't grab the list's drag block and drag down or up. You always have to put the arrow buttons (hitting up and down a lot)

I'm sure there will be firmware updates, or may already be. Could anyone give me some links for keeping track of the updates, or give me any solutions to the above problems. I would appreciate it.

1.: You can set the time when the screen switches to sleep mode in the settings menu
2.: Use ommpc2x.
3.: -
4.: Try adjusting it first... (settings menu)
5.: Use Gmenu2x.

Dude, it's a damn homebrew console. It's made to be improved by the community (in my humble opinion!).

The touchscreen sucks, it doesn't matter what you do on the left hand side its off by up to 1/2" or more, in fact its more accurate twords the bottom of the left side of the screen than the top, pretty crazy if you ask me. Imo the touch screen is defective at best and should be abandoned by all devs.

The plastic opening around the OLED is basically just behind or almost right on top of the row of pixels around the edge of the display. Usually touch screens need a bit of back off around the detectable area in order to prevent pressure from affecting readings. If someone were brave enough to take their Wiz apart and try the touch screen without the case pressing on it, maybe that would show better results. If so, you'd have to take a dremel tool and mill away the inside edge of the plastic a bit but that wouldn't look too pretty in the end. :)

jwm2 said:
The touchscreen sucks, it doesn't matter what you do on the left hand side its off by up to 1/2" or more, in fact its more accurate twords the bottom of the left side of the screen than the top, pretty crazy if you ask me. Imo the touch screen is defective at best and should be abandoned by all devs.

It's not THAT bad. Devs should avoid the borders of the screen and very small items. GPH should fix the weird behaviour on under-/overclocked Wiz'. It can be useful and it already is in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
>1) No backlight button. I can't turn the screen off and put it in sleep mode. Does the screen always have to be on??

Since it's OLED the energy consumption should be basically 0 if it displays a pure black (there is no backlight, everything black=all pixels are off).

>4) Touchscreen has accuracy issues, especially on the far left and right of the screen, some issues at the bottom.

Yea, the touchscreen is amazingly inaccurate. Why does it even need calibration? And why is still so inaccurate afterwards (the degree varies).

>5) In Launcher, you can't grab the list's drag block and drag down or up. You always have to put the arrow buttons (hitting up and down a lot)

Yea, that one is pretty odd. I've seen so many videos where the reviewer tries to scroll down by dragging the thumb. Everyone knows scrollbars, everyone know how they are supposed to work... this one however, behaves differently. (And who the f- prefers to scroll with those arrow buttons anyways?)

Passy said:
1.: You can set the time when the screen switches to sleep mode in the settings menu

Dude, it's a damn homebrew console. It's made to be improved by the community (in my humble opinion!).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the screen timeout settings.

Ommpc2x? Is that another mp3 player?
Why no answer for the video player? How do I downsize the size of video? Also, it seems to only play .avi clips, but not mp4. I thought mp4 and avi were the same thing.

dogeymon said:
Passy said:

Why no answer for the video player? How do I downsize the size of video? Also, it seems to only play .avi clips, but not mp4. I thought mp4 and avi were the same thing.
Yes Ommpc2x (One more music player Client) is an alternative Mp3 player.
Since I don't watch videos on my Wiz I hadn't had an answer for no. 3, but you can try googling "resize video", that should give you a ton of programs. :D

Oh and by the way, Gmenu2x doesn't let you drag the menu elements, it's an alternative menu fully configurable. You can adjust a global volume, seperate the programs into different categories and adjust skin & wallpaper, you don't have to use this (imo) ugly orange/black menu.

For an example of touch screen done right: scummvm.

For rescaling of videos:handbrake or badak.

MWeston said:
The plastic opening around the OLED is basically just behind or almost right on top of the row of pixels around the edge of the display. Usually touch screens need a bit of back off around the detectable area in order to prevent pressure from affecting readings. If someone were brave enough to take their Wiz apart and try the touch screen without the case pressing on it, maybe that would show better results. If so, you'd have to take a dremel tool and mill away the inside edge of the plastic a bit but that wouldn't look too pretty in the end. :)

Having just spent the last half an hour fiddling with the touchscreen with the board out on the desk, this does seem to be part of the problem.

Without the pressure of the case, it is possible to calibrate the touchscreen to reach the screen edges, apart from the left edge, which appears to have a semicircular 'no go' area.

Interestingly, the newly working edges still work once reassembled.

dogeymon said:

Ommpc2x is very good and seems stable. (Although the developer has stopped working on it at the moment).

About the video:
a) The display has (obviously) a max-res, so watching high-def videos makes no sense since they would be resized.
B) The CPU can't handle the resize of very large video, since it is tini-tiny, compared to anything in a PC.
c) As explained before, the OLED has no backlight and because the main-purpose of the Wiz is Emu/Gaming, why would you want to turn of the screen? (Yes, bonding the Hold-button with the ability to turn off the screen would be nice).
d) I sure hope they will beef up the codec-support, but I think there are multiple copyright concerns with that.

so long,
derdritte

Back