Wonky A Buttons

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Pandora #14 was affected with this issue. Button sticks, doesn't respond to presses due to being off center etc. List your issues here.

My revamped #14 with new LCD and newer case addressed this issue, but it was not a 100% cure, I would say 90%, but what's the deal with this? I specifically mentioned it with the return of my unit.

Turns out that its not a one unit issue as ZXDunny mentioned it as well. So now I'm addressing it here.

Pandora #14 was affected with this issue. Button sticks, doesn't respond to presses due to being off center etc. List your issues here.

My revamped #14 with new LCD and newer case addressed this issue, but it was not a 100% cure, I would say 90%, but what's the deal with this? I specifically mentioned it with the return of my unit.

Turns out that its not a one unit issue as ZXDunny mentioned it as well. So now I'm addressing it here.
My a button is sticky too but it works fine.Is an early production one nub pandora.Gone back for lcd repairs.Never mentioned the button though in the repairs list.oh well.Am waiting on a second pandora late first batch also.am curious what the improved build quality will be like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice on my Pandora that's currently being fixed up, that my B button was unnaturally hard to press. When I opened it up, I saw that inside the button (the little indent where the rubber for the tactile switch goes in) there was a piece of plastic sticking out. It seemed as though it was just a mistake at the factory. This could be the cause for other Pandora's dysfunctional buttons and is easily fixed with a dremel or a knife.

My "A" gaming button feels *ever*-so-slightly different to the others (barely at all, though, I must stress), but it's never bothered me. I've only mentioned it now since this thread asks about it. :p

Hm.. I'm not entirely sure how the keymat is made, but could there be a problem with the molding that causes this? It sounds like it's a pretty easy fix, but it'd be nice to not have to worry about this at all.

Hm.. I'm not entirely sure how the keymat is made, but could there be a problem with the molding that causes this? It sounds like it's a pretty easy fix, but it'd be nice to not have to worry about this at all.

It is a pretty easy fix. Some A-Buttons have a small plastic blob inside from moulding (only the A-Buttons, weirdly enough).

You just need to scrap that plastic off with a screwdriver and that's it.

Only issue is that you need to open the unit.

Mine, as I said in the review, is squishy. It functions just fine, and isn't a problem for gaming, but feels less "pro" than the other buttons. My Zero key is very difficult to get registered when I press it, but I'm getting used to it. My right shoulder button is ... weird, but works.

In other words, I can live with it and you'll pry my Pandora from my cold dead hands rather than take it away for a (very) minor repair.

Also: Every Pandora that goes in for RMA is one less Pandora for those patient folks further up the queue. That's not the reason mine's staying here though :)

/me goes off to UAE4ALL again

D.

Please bare in mind that the battery should only be fiddled with when the unit is not on a power supply.

I like having a spare battery, only problem is charging them has to be done on the Pandora. Any chance of a battery charging dock at some point?

Best to get an EnergiserXP4000 with the adapter for externally charging the spare Pandora battery.

It is a pretty easy fix. Some A-Buttons have a small plastic blob inside from moulding (only the A-Buttons, weirdly enough).

As its such an easy fix, bar opening the case which voids warranty and can be a fiddly over the on/off switch apparently, is there any reason this cant be checked and performed as each unit is assembled? Surely that would solve this. In addition any keyboard keys that are unresponsive should get the same treatment.

Err, surely it would be better if this was done before the units were put together?

Forgive me if that statement is blindingly obvious, I'm guessing it's not though, as it's not been done.

PS I know that the assembly is done at Craigs end so that pearl of wisdom is cast in his direction.

I agree, although it might slow down assembly quite a bit. Maybe just a cursory glance at each keymat before it's put in place, and then a little scrape for the offending ones. It would really irritate me if my unit had some dodgy buttons, and I hate the idea that I couldn't fix such a simple problem myself without voiding the warranty.

Yeah, I had this problem with my "A" button being spongy, and I described this fix awhile ago, and I hoped it would be addressed by the team, or they could pass the info to the mould factory. But I'm sure the first 4000 had been done by the time it was figured out what was causing it. So I guess it should be fix by Craigs team at assembly.

The A button functions perfectly but as it has been said, but it doeasent have that click like the others. It bothered me, so I opened the unit to try and find the problem. Once you carve out that excess plastic under the button, it works perfect, just like all the others.

It was very easy for me to do myself, but I have experiance modding DS/PSP's, so it wasn't hard for me. If you have a good comfort level around small electronic devices, it should be a breeze. DO NOT ATTEMPT if you are not comfortible in this area, or have no idea what you are doing. There are many small items that could be broke if you don't know what to look for, and it would suck to break your unit just so you could fix a small button defect. Hopefully Craig's assembly team will begin to check all 4 buttons for that excess plastic and remove before assembly, but I would imigine thousands of button could take awhile to notch out.

EDIT:1 person with a dremel tool could probably check all the buttons, and have them done in 1 day or less. Maybe it was detemined that since the button works, it's not a problem, but I found it annoying that one button functioned slightly differant than the others. Maybe it can be addressed while they wait on more boards to arrive? Who Knows!

Chris

What Level of Disamblyng Experienz do i need to fix it, if my Unit has this Issue??

I have XP whit some Surprise EG Toys, and i can easly screew some things open, i know how to use an Screew driver, and i helped to fix our Unimog..,

Is this Issue on all Units, or it is possible that i may have luck whit my own??

I only want to fix it, when its else is unplayable....

EDIT: I was planed to change the Button Layout to SNES

X

Y A

B

Err, surely it would be better if this was done before the units were put together?

Forgive me if that statement is blindingly obvious, I'm guessing it's not though, as it's not been done.

PS I know that the assembly is done at Craigs end so that pearl of wisdom is cast in his direction.
I completely agree with this. Delivering wonky A buttons with the comment that you "just need to scrape it off" is a bit bad style. If it's such an easy fix then do so at assembly time.

I completely agree with this. Delivering wonky A buttons with the comment that you "just need to scrape it off" is a bit bad style. If it's such an easy fix then do so at assembly time.

Well, we told the factory about this and usually it is checked before assembly as well.

But it might be a few bad buttons slip in nevertheless with 550 built units ;)

What Level of Disamblyng Experienz do i need to fix it, if my Unit has this Issue??

I have XP whit some Surprise EG Toys, and i can easly screew some things open, i know how to use an Screew driver, and i helped to fix our Unimog..,

Is this Issue on all Units, or it is possible that i may have luck whit my own??

I only want to fix it, when its else is unplayable....

EDIT: I was planed to change the Button Layout to SNES

X

Y A

B

^this

if someone could do a video showing how to disassemble to this level, fix the issue, and reassemble it would be awesome

I saw, that disampling isnt that divicult as on other devices, only 4 Screews, no hocks etc, but the on off switch is easy to lost if you dont care about it..

i would be carefull, but i think its interessting to see my openpandora pcb in real live.. :lol:

EDIT: @ EvilDragon: Dit you Change the Buttonlayout bevore Deliverey, ot ditn make this any Sense?

Ok i have tought about is: When i want that Mario Jump, i know which button i have to use, it dosnt make any mather if its a or x on the button..

My "A" button was wonky from the start, and with time it got worst, to the point it now 50% of the times I press it, it doesn't come back, but even so it does not register multiple presses, it just stays there but still "works", but it is not natural to use this way.

I wish this can be fixed when I send it to repair soon, ED what would be the best time to send our first-900 Pandoras to fix (nubs and "A" and "R" button problems), probably you will need spare nubs do to this, but as I am seeing it the nub factory is sending them directly to the board factory?

Well, we told the factory about this and usually it is checked before assembly as well.

But it might be a few bad buttons slip in nevertheless with 550 built units ;)
Of course, and I wouldn't really mind fixing this myself. Just making sure it's not a structural flaw.

Back