Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMars posted on Feb 10 2007 at 03:16 AM said:
Hello at

Now...I am religious...but I also believe most scientific theories. The reason I am religious though is the question "Where did the mass the started the big bang come from?"And I know that most of you non-religious people ask "Where did God come from then?". I don't think we will ever know. The only thing we can understand is our modern world or maybe the not-too-distant past, not how everything first started. So, starting arguments about this kind of stuff is pointless.
Well, i'm going to stop name calling from now on and combat these arguments seriously. Where did the mass of the big bang come from? You can comphend the nature of that of infinitism? There are infinite possible parralell universe for each infinitely possible difference in the infitely long universe. It has no beginning and no end. The universe exists in more than the 4 dimensions we can comprehend, we can only control our movement through 3. The matter thas always existed, in more dimensions than 3 or 4 I might add. It is understanding this that allows for processes in quantum physics such as entanglement. Entanglement is what makes quantum computing possible. The matter has ALWAYS been here. Also you believe that we will only understand the not so distant past? Using a powerful enough quantum computer, as I mentioned previously in another post, it would be possible to model the entire universe and predict anything and everything that will happen, will that extend to backwards in time? Probably not, but at least we will know the future :D

CABBAGES posted on Feb 10 2007 at 05:00 AM said:
There are many scientists that dont think that evolution is fact. If evolution is still happening why Do i still get teh cold why did my gran die of cancer ? Why can i not see very well ? why is steven hawkins in a weel chair. Why do dolphins not come out of the sea and grow legs (Or stumps as someone mentioned earlier) ? As they breathe air like us !

:D Anyway the thing is evolution is no more fact than god and the things sam comes out with just seesm to be some science stuff hes copied off a website.

My whole point was to sho that something somewhere was there all the time and it coudl be God or matter or anything.
There are many scientists who think that evolution is not a fact. They are all in America and bought their PhD's over the internet. Why do you still get a cold? The cold virus has evolved to be able to survive your immune system and temporarily gain a foothold in your body. Why did your gran die of cancer? I AM SO GLAD YOU ASKED! This is caused by the same process that is the backbone of evolution! When a cell replicates, the exposed genetic material in a vunerable state may suffer mutations. Each cell suffers thousands per day but there are mechanisms to put them right, however, every now and then they fail. This is a mutation. All copies of this cell will carry this mutation. Cancer is where a SPECIFIC set of mutations hamper the cells ability to undergo adoptosis when it is in a damaged state and causes it to rapidly miositise. It also causes them to ditch the mitochondria completely and use glycolisis which produces large amounts of lactic acid. Why can you not see well? Probably because of age, environmental factors, also you may be genetically inferior to others. Why is Stephen Hawking in a wheel chair with not use of anything but his eyelid? He is genetically inferior, not the "fittest", in the wild he would have died long ago and not passed on his DNA. This is how evolution works. The weaker die, the stronger survive. Dolphins not on land? Evolution takes millions of years, you never know what could happen.

I don't "come out with science I copied off of a website". I understand everything I write perfectly and learn this in school actually. I study all the sciences.

PokeParadox posted on Feb 10 2007 at 11:11 AM said:
You have also got to think that we humans are an interfering lot. We don't leave evolution and survival of the fittest to take its course.

We are constantly developing medicines and prosthetics and in a sense damaging our global gene pool by allowing those with weaker genes to survive. I'm not saying it's not good that we can't help people with certain conditions, I'm just pointing out that we DO interfere with the evolution process.
Still, it is technically survival of the fittest, we have the ability to make outselves "fitter" using out technology. Still, in a genetic term, yes, we are interfering. But remember that half the genes come from one parent and half from the other. Hence, unless two weaker gened people mate, the offspring could have good point from both parents. Hell, even if two week gened people mate, providing each has a good gene, where the other parent has a bad one, you could still end up with a genetically superior offspring.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is to say that the Universe didn't create itself, in the same way that you suppose God did? There is no known quality in the Universe that disqualifies it from being a creator. I don't seriously believe this, but it certainly presents an argument against the Universe having to come from some kind of separate creator figure.

If evolution is still happening why Do i still get teh cold why did my gran die of cancer ?
The viruses which cause colds and the flu mutate every year, so your body can't identify the virus from year to year. This is why there are always new flu vaccines being produced. It isn't possible for most forms of cancer to be evolved into extinction because they generally come about after the genes have already been passed on, so it is too late to do anything about it by that point.

Why can i not see very well ?
Very simply, bad luck. If we were still living in caves, somebody with poor eyesight may well have been killed reasonably early in their life, thus stopping the problem being passed on to later generations. It isn't generally a problem now, because the blind can get on with their lives in safety and those with just poor eyesight can wear glasses or have laser surgery, so they live.

why is steven hawkins in a weel chair.
Same as previous answer.

Why do dolphins not come out of the sea and grow legs (Or stumps as someone mentioned earlier) ? As they breathe air like us !
Because they are perfectly happy where they are. No point coming onto the land if the sea works well enough!

As with most religious people, there's no point in arguing with CABBAGES because all of his thoughts originate from one single, destructively irrational premise: that the supernatural exists. There's no reliable evidence for the existence of the supernatural, so he must take this core belief on faith. This inevitably begins to taint all thinking processes in a human being. It leads a human to think that he can differentiate between fact and fantasy simply by desire.

This is why an emotional-thinker doesn't believe in evolution in spite of the available evidence, nor does he search for validated truth. He simply doesn't want to. His emotions dominate his intellect, instead of his intellect managing his emotions (as it should be in a balanced human being).

CABBAGES, I know you say you're not religious. I've heard that from theists before. However, in my experience that usually just means that they believe in the Judeo-Christian god (which arose from religion), but they don't follow the rules of the religion.

It's funny, really... to say, "I believe in the omnipotent god of this religion, but I won't his religion's rules".

Edit: error

I think cabbages is under the impression that this nonsense called "evolution" happens in a couple of years :lol:

The reason why we haven't come up with a cure for the common cold is simply because there are more strains of it than there is hair in your head. Combine that with the fact that the virus is always mutating, and there you have it; no cure yet.

Evolution, the expansion of the universe, are all things that can visibly be seen happening, and hence is why I believe and know that is what is happening. People just popping up out of nowhere is just nonsense. Does the stork also bring babies? No. 2 life forms mate, and spawn an offspring that has similar traits of the parent beings, and lets say that one has a breathing problem, and the other has better lungs. Now, later in life, the world gets flooded, and everybody moves to higher ground, the being with breathing problems wont survive simply because of the fact that its lungs are weaker, and then if it cant survive, it wont be able to spawn a new generation, and thus the being with the stronger lungs passes its genetic data along...

This is living proof how we evolve, slowly, and surely, and times these little things by hundreds of thousands of years, and eventually you get beings that in no way are similar to the way they used to be, because all these little changes mold up to something very unlike the original beings that moved to the higher land long ago. An example of evolution is take a look at black and white people, there was probably this common ancestor human, who when migrated around, the ones that lived in the shade/cold had no need for an excess melanin in their skin, so their bodies stopped producing it. Then take the humans who lived in very warm/sunny climates, and their bodies needed protection from the sun. The humans who didn't have a lot of melanin in their skin would die easier because they couldn't resist the sun as well as the humans who had more melanin in them. Hence a little evolution right there. Take a look at the 5 main types of humans on this earth. Here is a little excerpt from wikipedia:

In 1934, Carleton S. Coon redefined Caucasian race as Caucasoid race as one five racial categories. The other four races that Coon defined were the Mongoloid race, the Australoid race, the Negroid race, sometimes referred as Congoid and the Capoid race.

We are all humans, but are all different in bone structure, and other things, suited to the needs of the geographical location of origin. So in people who don't believe in evolution, all of these people were just created?

I'd still like one of the evolutionists to explain how life came about if possible?

I've refrained from stating my own beliefs so far because people seem to tailor their responses based on what they've already decided 'people like you' think. I am actually a man of science, always have been, who also believes in spirituality. I've never associated myself with religion though, and I think many people fail to see the difference.

subcon959 posted on Feb 10 2007 at 05:01 PM said:
I'd still like one of the evolutionists to explain how life came about if possible?

I've refrained from stating my own beliefs so far because people seem to tailor their responses based on what they've already decided 'people like you' think. I am actually a man of science, always have been, who also believes in spirituality. I've never associated myself with religion though, and I think many people fail to see the difference.
Life was created as the earth in a volatile state, combined with random events such as meteor collisions and lightning strikes, provided the perfect conditions for a 1 in a trillion chain of reactions to take place. Then the first life was formed.

we all know jesus came down on his silver surfboard and made all the little things in this earth.... but it was like the gp2x there was a few editions of various things

and this thread was about love was it not?

I can't see why people get so uptight about evolution. At the end of the day belief in any god is about faith.

Even if evolution could be absolutely proved beyond all doubt, people like CABBAGES aren't going to say "Evolution's proved so I don't believe in God anymore".

Conversely, if evolution was disproved I would be looking for a new testable explanation, not automatically believe in God.

subcon959 posted on Feb 10 2007 at 12:01 PM said:

Abiogenesis is the currently predominate hypothesis. Pay particular attention to the experiments conducted in 1953 and 1961, described in the article. This article is an elaboration on Sam's summary/explanation.

subcon959 posted on Feb 10 2007 at 12:01 PM said:

Isn't spirituality just supernaturalism without the structured belief system of religion?

sam fisher posted on Feb 10 2007 at 07:12 AM said:
Hello at

Now...I am religious...but I also believe most scientific theories. The reason I am religious though is the question "Where did the mass the started the big bang come from?"And I know that most of you non-religious people ask "Where did God come from then?". I don't think we will ever know. The only thing we can understand is our modern world or maybe the not-too-distant past, not how everything first started. So, starting arguments about this kind of stuff is pointless.
Well, i'm going to stop name calling from now on and combat these arguments seriously. Where did the mass of the big bang come from? You can comphend the nature of that of infinitism? There are infinite possible parralell universe for each infinitely possible difference in the infitely long universe. It has no beginning and no end. The universe exists in more than the 4 dimensions we can comprehend, we can only control our movement through 3. The matter thas always existed, in more dimensions than 3 or 4 I might add. It is understanding this that allows for processes in quantum physics such as entanglement. Entanglement is what makes quantum computing possible. The matter has ALWAYS been here. Also you believe that we will only understand the not so distant past? Using a powerful enough quantum computer, as I mentioned previously in another post, it would be possible to model the entire universe and predict anything and everything that will happen, will that extend to backwards in time? Probably not, but at least we will know the future :D

What I meant by not so distant past is hundreds of millions of years ago(kinda misleading). But I want to know how you of all people know that there is a 4th dimension and that matter has always existed. Oh and, might I add that in the Koran it says that God has no beginning or end. I am not here to convert you, but I wanted you to know that Religion and Science explain the same things in different words.

In the Koran there are things about human development and geographical information that people 1400 year ago, shouldn't have known. It talks about, the moon "swimming" around the earth, the earth "swimming" around the sun, and even our sun "swimming" around an even larger system of planets and stars. The word "day" is mentioned 365 times in the Koran. The plural form of "days" is mentioned 30 times. The word "moon" is mentioned 12 times as well. The words "punishment" and "reward" are mentioned equally in the Koran. The Koran mentioned how salt water and "sweet" or fresh water do not mix. You can see that all over the world in different bodies of water.

I have more information if you want... :unsure:

OMars posted on Feb 10 2007 at 06:50 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 10 2007 at 07:12 AM said:
Hello at

What I meant by not so distant past is hundreds of millions of years ago(kinda misleading). But I want to know how you of all people know that there is a 4th dimension and that matter has always existed. Oh and, might I add that in the Koran it says that God has no beginning or end. I am not here to convert you, but I wanted you to know that Religion and Science explain the same things in different words.

In the Koran there are things about human development and geographical information that people 1400 year ago, shouldn't have known. It talks about, the moon "swimming" around the earth, the earth "swimming" around the sun, and even our sun "swimming" around an even larger system of planets and stars. The word "day" is mentioned 365 times in the Koran. The plural form of "days" is mentioned 30 times. The word "moon" is mentioned 12 times as well. The words "punishment" and "reward" are mentioned equally in the Koran. The Koran mentioned how salt water and "sweet" or fresh water do not mix. You can see that all over the world in different bodies of water.

I have more information if you want... :unsure:
No, science explains. The Koran, and also the bible, lie and state. They do not explain. How do I know there is a fourth dimension? Well, to start off we are witnessing the effects of passage through a fourth dimension, time. Also, a shape can be mathmatically modelled in more than 3 dimensions. A 5-simplex for example. The religious books use quantitive statements, and no qualititative explanations. Salt water mixes fine with fresh water, it just has bromine and salts in it. And who cares if there are a lot of subliminal messages in the koran? Chances are it's not a direct word for word copy of the original anyway. Also who's to say that 1400 years ago we weren't intelligent enough to count how often the sun circles the sky, or the moon. And then just apply that same model to the sun. also there are mor ethan 365 days in the year, .22 or something like that more. Counting days is not a "God Figure" giving them information :rolleyes:

Wishful thinking I think, on your part.

sensible GP32 posted on Feb 10 2007 at 08:01 PM said:
well the funny approach diddnt work.....

i dont think i've read so much shite since i started reading the peter kay autobiography
You don't understand basic logic? Or are you referring to the religion?

People keep saying i beleive in god ? I dont believe in god anymore than i believe in evolution. And as one of you said but i cant remember , but you said how can i not believe that the universe was there all teh time I DID SAY THIS MANY TIMES the univers being there all the time and then from that life was created the same way that if god was real and there all the time he coudl have created life ? I am just saying they are quite similar .

Also Sam i have been reading about carbon dating Carbon 14 has a half life of 5000 So its not possibel to accurately date things millions of years old. You also need to know teh amount of carbon in the atmosphere to be able to be accurate. I read about correction factors and all that too.

Also you still believe that fossils prove evolution ? i would like to see some of these fossils that prove it . the internet must be full of them so lets see ? Supposedly real evolutionists do not use fossils as part of their arguement.

And again id like to say that i dont believe in god or evolution BUT religious peopel admit that it is faith whereas evolutionists try to tell you its is FACT !! this is why i question evolution and not GOD.

Do you actually know what a half life is?

And in my personal experience, I've found religious people to be the least tolerant of any group towards other people's views...

Orkie posted on Feb 10 2007 at 01:20 PM said:
Do you actually know what a half life is?

And in my personal experience, I've found religious people to be the least tolerant of any group towards other people's views...

This thread demonstrates to me that neither side is particularly tolerant towards the other side.

Nice try.

It wasn't a "try" at anything - I have been told a few times by devoutly religious people that they hate me purely because I don't like what them preaching to me at every possible opportunity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back