WTF???

nerd of nerds

w00t!!!!
so, the other day we installed wireless networking so that i could have cable internet on MY computer. all went fine in setup but afterwards i began experiencing problems with the (shitty) usb 802.11b dlink adapter. it will stay connected for a few minutes (10ish) and then it SAYS it is still connected but it can only send data :( but it fixes everything (for 10mins) if i unplug the usb adapter and plug it back in :( . would making a big badass antenna fix this? it says it gets a very strong signal. would a pci adapter be the way to go? (thats what i had said...) HELP!!! PLEASE :(

best bet for wireless is getting closer to the source, ex. the router.

IF u can't do that, then buy a stronger adapter. cuz urs obvisously isn't strong enough to get to where ever u are located. Linksys is my version i use at my residence and it works awesome. Go for the antenna model of the the adapter for better preformance. some basic grd. rules:

1 - More the $$$ u spedn the better the connection will be, no matter what ppl say.

2 - IF the router is in ur 1st floor and ur room is on the 2nd try to position the antenna and the unit itself towards where ever the router is.

3- Like i said, save and buy a better series like Linksys. My PS2 is now going full cable speed now and works GREAT!!!. SOCOM II owns...

-Matt (hope that helps)

i'm on the same floor as the router about 15 feet away from it!!!there are 1.5 walls in between tho... but REALLY it gets annoying!!! i don't think that is my problem :(

Basically it's the kind of you. It's signal strength. It's sh!tty i know. I had the same problem with the first "gaming linksys adapter" i bought. It would take forever to log into the wireless frequency and the would cut off If i left it on, or played for more then 15minutes. Bad connection is pretty much it. Upgrade. Talk to someone like at Best Buy, or any of the major electronic stores. They usually can help u out.

-Matt (owned)

I had something passing similar with 30m ethernet wired cable. It autodetected at 100 megabit transfer rate, and thought it was working - but could only send data (which really messed things up).

After much fiddling, reconnecting, re-splicing wires, and similar, we finally managed to decide to try turning down the speed. Result? I'm able to post this from upstairs. If its got the speed set to autodetect in the device properties, try dropping it to a much lower one... Unless you've got VERY fast internet access, or are having to transfer stuff between your PCs a lot, it won't make much difference to the net speed, but it'll give the network a bit more time to think.

Back