Xfce 4.8

I read this also, I can't believe it has been two years. I thought I read they had a huge update in the first of 2010? I get all the minimalist guis mixed up though.

For any one that knows would any of the updates pertain to us?

Pretty cool stuff, they are becoming more fleshed out like Gnome or KDE. I hope they don't get too bloated though.

If it won't take up much more space and won't use many more CPU cycles then it would be a good update.

I would think that a full desktop environment would be too... not heavy exactly, but maybe a little inefficient or bloated for the Pandora. I plan on replacing XFCE with openbox whenever I get the chance. I'd like to use something other than Angstrom too, but I don't know how efficient or inefficient it is for this device. It's probably just fine, though.

Semi related, but the Mint version with Xfce hasn't come out yet, I wonder if this is why, they were waiting for 4.8? I hope so because I liked the last one they released, it was speedy on my Atom nettop. There is definitely a difference between Xfce and Gnome.

yep, there is. On my main desktop i'm using the default gnome shipped with ubuntu, but on an older vaio laptop, xfce 4.6 does wonders on squeeze, it feels very responsive.

I always liked xfce, dunno why :)

Kisses

Mac

Your panel isn't transparent from what we can see; only the terminal background

This panel is transparent:
panel-transparent.png

Today, the only way of making a transparent panel is to create a new theme (as you did :p ) :(

Maybe Xfce 4.8 will be in hotfix 6?? I hope :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Is anybody working on an OS upgrade?
Welcome to the community. It seems like we are suddenly getting a lot of new members. That's great!

The original plan was to have Hotfix 6 be the latest hotfix for Zaxxon. I vaguely recall ED posting somewhere that he might do another hotfix, not sure if that is actually happening. The new major version that follows will be called Yars' revenge.

Thanks for welcoming

Whats the eta on that; and is it developing currently.

Back