Xgp First Picture??

x68000 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 05:59 PM said:
C B Felterbush posted on Aug 17 2005 at 07:29 PM said:
After reading all the posts, this is as good a place as any. The number pad is designed for use with a USB camera and will allow for a live feed video conference type chat program. It will also be used for quick key features.

The ARM920T is being ousted and replaced with the new ARM1020E. The new Processors feature list.

Features:
32/16-bit RISC architecture (ARMv5TE)
32-bit ARM instruction set for maximum performance and flexibility
16-bit Thumb instruction set for increased code density
DSP instruction extensions and single cycle MAC
Instruction and data caches: ARM1020E = 32K/32K, ARM1022E 16K/16K
Individual lockable cache/MMU entries
ARM and Thumb instruction sets, including fixed-point DSP extensions
64-bit high-bandwidth internal bus architecture with multiple execution units
Advanced energy saving power-down modes to address static leakage currents
Dual 64-bit AMBA bus-compliant AHB interfaces
Optional VFP10 vector floating point coprocessor
Optional ETM10 embedded trace macrocell for non-intrusive real-time debug
Also as an addition we are implementing a new low gloss midnight black
Finish that is fingerprint resistant.

it still wont be as powerful as a psp and it still has a crappy screen - so it is still as pointless as ever!! and it is (in prototype form) the ugliest, cheapest and nastiest handheld ever seen.

Stop complaining .... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, it's JTAG with a bit more funkyness to it :)

As in, you can ask the processor for the previous instructions that have been executed, for example. Perfect for seeing what conditional jumps the processor has taken.

Also, with ETM, you don't actually need JTAG - you can use the ETM pins, which are multiplexed with other i/o pins, and so don't need so many dedicated debug pins.

shinneri posted on Aug 18 2005 at 12:03 AM said:
x68000 posted on Aug 17 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
it still wont be as powerful as a psp and it still has a crappy screen - so it is still as pointless as ever!! and it is (in prototype form) the ugliest, cheapest and nastiest handheld ever seen.
Crappy screen?? :huh:

Looks pretty nice to me...

when i say crappy, i mean crappy for emulation. i'm sure its very good when it comes to playing movies and displaying the games intended to run on the system. It just seems so hard to find any plus points on the xgp over the psp.

Also just thought, with the xgp relying totally on commercial 3d software, how do gamepark think they can realistically make a competent 3d game when they couldnt make a good 2d one?

No really I don't know anything. I was just thinking this is what I would like to hear. But please "crappy screen" Sure can’t be worse than the PSP's I had to go through four before I got one that didn't have a dead pixel then that ones battery cover broke like two days later. You can't win with the PSP. Finger prints all over the place. The screen is actually raised instead of set in so it is more prone to scratches, where as the Xgp is completely concealed. You ever watch a movie on a PSP?? You have to hold it for two hours so the angle is just right to enjoy the whole movie. Then you have a cramp in your wrist.
Look at the innovation with the screen that has never been done on a gaming handheld.
It will never get scratched if you take care of it. Also rotating screens like the type seen on the rendered prototype are quite a bit more solid than the crap first used in reversible tablet PC’s. Gamepark released their first system with very few “bad” flaws, many could be overlooked. They made multiple prototypes then came together to create one of the best handhelds offered in its time as far as tec/specs and hardware quality. The PSP was released as a prototype and it works like one, with a thousand problems. ????Where did Sony get their inspiration for the PSP????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameking#GameKing_III

Look familiar put a bigger screen on it and drop in a playstation button configuration on it and you have the PSP. My point is you can’t say any modern system is copying another directly. People know what works and that the shape needs to somewhat contour to the human hand, if not it feels out of place. So manufactures make their products to try and convince you when you hold it, it belongs there. They didn’t copy anything, but they did improved on many things.

This is directed to x68000

I wanted to add if the processor were changed to the ARM1020E
it would be more powerful than the PSP. As the PSP is running 1-333Mhz
and the 1020E caps at 350Mhz plus ETM functionality it is capable of running faster with less hindrance in the way of turning apps.

Why be a widescreen nazi, if you hate it so much use a crop feature for running an emulator and cut it to fit like the DS does on GBA games.

Next you will say the Gizmondo has less power than the wonderswan color when it is in reality more powerfull than your computer.

C B Felterbush posted on Aug 18 2005 at 08:23 PM said:
Why be a widescreen nazi, if you hate it so much use a crop feature for running an emulator and cut it to fit like the DS does on GBA games.

Because when you do that you get an image size about equal to the screen on the Gameboy Micro ;)

C B Felterbush posted on Aug 18 2005 at 09:23 PM said:
This is directed to x68000

I wanted to add if the processor were changed to the ARM1020E
it would be more powerful than the PSP. As the PSP is running 1-333Mhz
and the 1020E caps at 350Mhz plus ETM functionality it is capable of running faster with less hindrance in the way of turning apps.

Next you will say the Gizmondo has less power than the wonderswan color when it is in reality more powerfull than your computer.
doesnt the psp have 2 processors as opposed to the xgp's one?

and as for the widescreen and emulation, the 2 will never mix until we start emulating games from the next generation of consoles. So it should come in useful in about 20 years time or so! Seriously though, once the psp's screen is changed to 4:3 format it is tiny and things will be even smaller on the xgp than they are on the psp, so why would anyone want that?

oh yeah, and whats with that stupid name with the lame double meaning? It's one of the oldest, crappiest tricks in the book - i think you must have been watching too many episodes of the simpsons.

x68000 posted on Aug 19 2005 at 12:45 AM said:
..oh yeah, and whats with that stupid name with the lame double meaning? It's one of the oldest, crappiest tricks in the book - i think you must have been watching too many episodes of the simpsons.

But double names are so L337.

Phil mckraken

Mike Hunt

Stu Pidaso

And the two gay Irishmen Patrick Fitzgerald and Gerald Fitzpatrick.

Personally I think the rotating screen is a good idea....As C B Felterbush said have you ever tried to watch a movie on the PSP? You have to hold the damn thing while you watch it.....Thats not the case with the XGP as you have the option to stand it on a desk/table and move the screen until its in a good position (great for on a train)

mattyrb posted on Aug 19 2005 at 09:27 AM said:
Personally I think the rotating screen is a good idea....As C B Felterbush said have you ever tried to watch a movie on the PSP? You have to hold the damn thing while you watch it.....Thats not the case with the XGP as you have the option to stand it on a desk/table and move the screen until its in a good position (great for on a train)

100% agree. That swivel screen is brilliant. Too bad PSP doesn't have one, because I own a PSP and probably won't buy an XGP. Ever.

First I need not comment on the Name x68000, a 1987 Japan only flop...very creative.

"doesnt the psp have 2 processors as opposed to the xgp's one?"

The PSP has only one CPU processor. It then has a media processor. They are the same basic architecture a MIPS R4000. However it can be seen that the XGP is in a very early
stage. Tech/spec speculation shows a 200+mhz Main with a 3D graphics accelerator.
This machine is most likely going to be similar in overall performance upon release.
But unlike the PSP it will not have hundreds of professional game developers pouring hours into it. Trying to make the components put out every little ounce of power for their 3D games. The reality for this system is if they try to stay in the commercial only racket
It will be doomed from the start. Even if it is produced, and turns out to be the more powerful of the two, it will loose in the end. Just don’t go and say the PSP is a better piece of hardware. The PSP is a shitty piece of hardware, but Sony is a media giant and will financially push their product till success. Like Microsoft and their X-box, Sony won’t go away.

On a side note, Emulation though a great thing is not intended for this system as it wasn’t intended for the PSP. My toaster will not microwave a hot pocket, just as my microwave won’t toast my bread. Gamepark split for a reason that is clearly shown. One part intended on making a completely open-source machine directed toward emulation, while the other part saw that outside their small area emulation couldn’t be publicly flaunted as a company goal, and direct their product at American and European markets. There are too many copyright issues. So they took their part of the company and designed the XGP
intended for commercial gaming. I would say it will be a story like the Gizmondo in that respect, lots of promise lots of innovation plenty of potential but no way to turn that potential into $$$$$.

Yes, the PSP does indeed have 2 processors, and it is possible to use both to speed up emulation, as you can run the cpu emulation of the target machine on one, and emulate the graphics and audio/etc on the other. As the second processor is the 'media engine', it makes sense to do graphics emulation on that one, but it's really upto the developer to split the load how he see's fit.

With these two processors, dedicated hardware 3D, Wifi, and the rest of the device, I certainly wouldn't call it "shitty". It's currently the most advanced handheld out there.

C B Felterbush posted on Aug 19 2005 at 04:20 PM said:
First I need not comment on the Name x68000, a 1987 Japan only flop...very creative.

"doesnt the psp have 2 processors as opposed to the xgp's one?"

The PSP has only one CPU processor. It then has a media processor. They are the same basic architecture a MIPS R4000. However it can be seen that the XGP is in a very early
stage. Tech/spec speculation shows a 200+mhz Main with a 3D graphics accelerator.
This machine is most likely going to be similar in overall performance upon release.
But unlike the PSP it will not have hundreds of professional game developers pouring hours into it. Trying to make the components put out every little ounce of power for their 3D games. The reality for this system is if they try to stay in the commercial only racket
It will be doomed from the start. Even if it is produced, and turns out to be the more powerful of the two, it will loose in the end. Just don’t go and say the PSP is a better piece of hardware. The PSP is a shitty piece of hardware, but Sony is a media giant and will financially push their product till success. Like Microsoft and their X-box, Sony won’t go away.

On a side note, Emulation though a great thing is not intended for this system as it wasn’t intended for the PSP. My toaster will not microwave a hot pocket, just as my microwave won’t toast my bread. Gamepark split for a reason that is clearly shown. One part intended on making a completely open-source machine directed toward emulation, while the other part saw that outside their small area emulation couldn’t be publicly flaunted as a company goal, and direct their product at American and European markets. There are too many copyright issues. So they took their part of the company and designed the XGP
intended for commercial gaming. I would say it will be a story like the Gizmondo in that respect, lots of promise lots of innovation plenty of potential but no way to turn that potential into $$$$$.

so whats it going to be? firstly you state that the xgp is going to be more powerful than the psp and now you are starting to backtrack saying they will be about the same.

You say the psp only has one cpu when it has 2 main cpu's which can both be used for emulation shows that you clearly like to sound authorative, but really are full of crap.

And since you seem to be so sure of your facts, that japanese only 'flop', the X68000, was actually released in '86, not '87. Then 11 years, 15 incarnations later, all based on the same technology eventually ceased production. Hardly what you would call a flop now??

X68000 was very good. It had a killer version of Castlevania and a ton of excellent arcade ports. If it had been released in the USA, I would've wanted one.

Wow, we are way off topic now. :)

And it's true about PSP, it has 2 CPU's and YoyoFr has already shown that you can greatly speed up emus by using both. Some SNES games actually run full speed at 0 frameskips with full transparency and 44100Khz sound! Most at 1 frameskip. It's very impressive. But you need to clock the PSp to 333Mhz to do it. So yeah, on GPX2 a lot will depend on how useful that co-processor is, and how much the main CPU can possibly be overclocked.

One I NEVER said the XGP was going to be more powerful, I simply wanted to get across the point that it isn't out yet and no real info is known so it "MIGHT" be. Second the PSP has only one
"MAIN" cpu and a secondary media cpu. Here is a link to their official site, do you read Dual in the cpu section anywhere.

http://www.us.playstation.com/pressreleases.aspx?id=207

It has two one is the main one is the media processor. That is what I said and that is the way it is. As a side note though it matters not, 1987.

http://www.mameworld.net/mrdo/x68000.html

http://www.jcec.co.uk/Game%20Pages/gameplan15.pdf

I do however apologize for calling it a flop, it was not I was wrong.
I'm not that full of myself to say I am never wrong, but the videogame industry is my business
and it pays well to know your product.

Also the Gizmondo is the most powerful handheld out not the PSP. But really what does it matter.

back to the topic I like the pictures seems like it might be worth some $$$ might not. I'll have to wait and see.

How is the Gizmondo the most powerful? It only has a 400Mhz processor compared to the PSPs combined dual MIPs system, and the graphics system is about the same.

I don't care about the documents you have read - the PSP has 2 usable processors, which can both be used for totally different things. The fact that Sony calls the second processor the "media" processor is simply because that is the processor they decided to use for all the video codecs - it can be used for many other uses, as emulator authors such as yoyo have proven.

I suppose it is possible to get more juice out of the psp's combined processors. The 3D card on the gizmondo is a bit better and it does have a few other specs that read higher. However the PSP has a few tech high’s over the gizmondo as well. So I think it depends on what app your running that would dictate which system has the better performance.

For emulation of any 2D system I think the GPx2 will be the best machine upon release.
Something like that that has nothing 3D oriented, but rather a 2D accelerator chip will be better for emulation. Of course it isn’t going to emulate a N64 but it isn’t aimed in that direction.

It would be cool to see Metal Slug 5 running full speed on a handheld, or Tales of Phantasia with the translation hack and full transparency. These possibilities are why I don’t really care about the XGP or Gizmondo. I have a PSP but I have not been impressed with the hardware quality. It is good on paper but when my screen has dead pixels and the UMD flies out and kills somebody it sucks, I’m running out of trunk space.

And that was a joke people don’t read into it too deep, I have plenty trunk space.

Don't take this as a dig, C B Felterbush, but I think you need to learn how to use emoticons (smileys). People will understand you much better when your joking or being sarcastic/etc when you use them instead of trying to jump down your throut at the earliest opportunity because they think your taking the piss or whatever :)

It would be cool to see Metal Slug 5 running full speed on a handheld, or Tales of Phantasia with the translation hack and full transparency. These possibilities are why I don’t really care about the XGP or Gizmondo. I have a PSP but I have not been impressed with the hardware quality.

Metal Slug 5 is way too big to fit into the GPX2's RAM. And I really don't see virtual memory techniques being too successful with huge ROMs like that. Check my thread about 64MB - I list a lot of NeoGeo ROM sizes so you can get an dea of what could be loade or not.

As for TOP - are you not using SNES9x TYL? It's the fastest SNES emu on PSP. I believe it runs TOP pretty well with full transparency and 44100Khz sound. Simply patch your ROM with the translation, and you have what you described.

As for PSP quality - I own 2. One has zero dead pixels at all, and is basically perfect. The other has only a single, practically invisible stuck pixel (appears as a very tiny, dim grey dot on a black screen) - I only noticed it after carefully scrutinizing the display. So for me the PSp seems very well made.

However, I hate the PSP's dpad (diagonals suck) and the speaker orientation is beyond moronic. The GPX2 will destroy the PSP on both accounts.

Back