Xpdf - Fast Pdf Reader For Gp2x Released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
ParkyDR ported a very fast PDF-Reader to the gp2x-X11-Server.
A nice example that the gp2x X11-Server port is NOT slow :)

Of course, to use the reader, you need to have the X11 server installed on your gp2x.

Downloads and setup instructions can be found on Orkies X11 site: http://x11.gp2x.de

PDF Viewer. Should support most pdfs, support color and have reasonably fast scrolling and zooming as well as awesome controls.
THE GOOD: I loaded an X-Men PDF comic (from the Marvel DVD collection), and it looks great! Full color, easy scrolling...the zoom selection is almost hidden in this version, but it is accessible and works fine. This seems to meet the bounty requirements, IMO.

THE BAD: Watermarks are definitely visible, although they are mostly transparent so can be ignored fairly easily. Also, it takes 15-20 seconds to advance each page. But since these are pretty high-res comicbook page images, other PDFs may be quicker.

Great release! Thank you!

First off, I would advise reading the README, there are a few non-obvious features such as holding down Y to pan.

At the moment this is just a direct port of Xpdf (just recompilation), which I have configured (using X resources) to be usable on the GP2X screen.

There are actually more buttons to the right that aren't yet accessible and I could only just get the edge of the zoom button on.

For anyone having trouble finding the zoom, here's a screen shot

gp2xpdfvt1.png

Note: on the left by the bottom scroll bar is a small toggle that can be dragged to show the document outline (if it has one).

In the next release, I will start hacking the code and rationalise the buttons.

32Me: I'm not sure what to do about watermarks and most PDFs are quicker. You could try continuous mode and scroll down - it might load smaller chunks, more often.

ED: X is never slow - X rules! :)

Yono: I didn't know about the bounty :) The only bit I'm not sure about is the "awesome contols" (sounds like young person speak to me :))

This is extremely promising, if only because you've done little more than just recompiling it.

As an app, it loads very quickly (yay!). Sadly, a large PDF (600-odd pages) took more than 5 minutes to load in, although the time from page to page was more reasonable (and usable).

I had a bit of trouble finding a nice balance between having the PDF zoomed enough to be able to read the text, and being so zoomed in I need to pan left and right on every line to be able to see it all and only being able to see a handful (4-5) lines at a time.

I don't know how much you're able to do, but some sorta full-screen mode, and progress through the PDF via 'key controls' (L and R buttons for previous/next "screen", for instance), would be superlative.

I watch this with great interest. A PDF viewer that is as usable as the 'ebook' viewer (I use the excellent VTex viewer) would be worth a nice donation.

That's strange, I've loaded the Motif user manual which is 776 pages in about 10 seconds if that. It's about 3Mb.

How big is the file you're loading?

How long does it take to load on a PC?

I should be able to map controls to GP2X buttons, but the zoom and panning is always be a problem because of the screen size. To get round this, I was thinking of adding a button that moves the text left to right, then scrolls up and moves back to the left as you do when reading - this feature isn't available in xpdf, but I can add it.

Nice work, and like others, I'm suprised how fast this runs. Seems like zoom levels between 50% and 100% would be best for the gp2x screen, 50% and the text is too small, 100% and I have to pan too much, I'd love options for 60% 70% 80% and 90% :)

A most excellent proof of concept release :)

Thanks.

It does need more zoom levels, I'm not sure why those values were chosen.

I was thinking of mapping the volume up/down to zoom like the picture viewer.

Really good work!!
I hope we can use more apps in gp2X11 in a near future. It is an infinite resource if you can get it work good as you just done with xpdf.

DBH posted on Feb 14 2007 at 11:44 AM said:
Is there an option to view it rotated so you can hold the GP2X as portrait view to see stuff better?

There is a rotate option on the menu, it doesn't really help with viewing though.

<crazy idea>
I thought of another option, as it is X:

1) Network your GP2X to your PC
2) Run an X server on a PC (if you've got Linux, you almost certainly do anyway)
3) Set the display for GP2Xpdf to the PC
4) Run GP2Xpdf

You could then display it full size on the PC - who needs TV-out :)
</crazy idea>

Update: Removed the two history buttons and added 60-90% zoom so now the zoom combo box fits :)
I'll probably get a new release out at the weekend

adso: I do intend to port more X apps suggestions welcome - preferably something that works with the mouse. There is the virtual keyboard but it uses up quite a bit of the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a problem with gp2x11. If i run it gives me black screen. What could it be?

EvilDragon posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:50 AM said:
Of course, to use the reader, you need to have the X11 server installed on your gp2x.

What a pity we still don't have a decent speed stand alone PDF reader.

Parkydr posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:19 PM said:
Is that running it from GP2Xpdf of standalone?

Is it installed in the root directory of your SD card?
Yes it is installed in the root. If i run gp2x pdf it put me back to main menu

You do have x11 istalled on your SD card in the root also?

Mine looks like this

/mnt/sd/x11/
/mnt/sd/gp2xpdf/

You can tell if you have x11 installed correctly by running Xserver.gpu located in /mnt/sd/x11 (you should get a grey chequred background with X mouse cursor.)

Does the X server run stand alone?

If so try reinstalling GP2Xpdf

Edit: GP2Xpdf can be installed anywhere but the server has to be in the SD root directory

yodaofborg posted on Feb 14 2007 at 02:37 PM said:
You do have x11 istalled on your SD card in the root also?

Mine looks like this

/mnt/sd/x11/
/mnt/sd/gp2xpdf/

You can tell if you have x11 installed correctly by running Xserver.gpu located in /mnt/sd/x11 (you should get a grey chequred background with X mouse cursor.)
yes. Mine installation directory are the same. But if i run Xserver.gpu located in /mnt/sd/x11 i get black screen

I'd try re-downloading x11, maybe a corrupt archive, but if you cannot run Xserver.gpu it is a problem with the x11 install, not the PDF reader.

Back